a bit of a rant!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 12:36 AM
a bit of a rant!
How can you argue with people who believe the Bible is Gods word, meant to be interpreted literally. Is it possible? These are radicals, just like Islamic extremists, who believe the Quran is the word of God or Catholics who used to believe in the infallibility of God, and a divine justification. This leads to blind acceptance of a plethora of potentially dangerous and harmful beliefs.

They believe they have a duty to answer the call ''for the harvest is plentiful, and the workers are few", (Matthew 9:37 NIV) and therefore feel obligated to spread their world view to others.

I have been told my belief in evolution and science and logic is demonic, I've even been told it's heresy!

Recently, I heard that evolution and its adherents are immoral and without purpose, that it is evolutionary thinking that led to Nazism and Communism, but then it went further into the surreal (correct usage of the word) than that, evolution was equated with Nazism, I was outraged, as I would be if someone had denied the holocaust (an interesting parallel with the creation - evolution debate) Whereby members of the public argue against historical well documented freely available information, information that is precious and close to the hearts of those involved (in the case of the holocaust: the victims, Israel, the perpetrators, the axis powers, the people of Europe, and in the case of creation / evolution belief systems are the basis for our outlook on the world, and our understanding of it, here I think its important to stress that scientists are a self regulating body, its regulated by humans and all their biases, no scientist can make up a theory that becomes widely accepted without undergoing ruthless investigation, it's competitive and co-operative, as Newton said "he stood on the shoulders of Giants" he didn't just have a brainwave, the story of the apple apocryphal. The Story of Evolution is our story, our shared heritage, and it's wonderous, the universe can be understood, and the theory of evolution is among the pinnacles of human achievement, a truly collaborative effort that binds us all together, religion is a divisive force, us (the believers) and them (the non-believers, the atheists, the agnostics, the infidels).

What I dislike most about creationists is that the theory of creationism relies on a leap that I am unwilling to make, it throws logic and science out the window and adopts comfortable easy explanations for truly miraculous and marvellous events, that can and have and can be repeated to be illuminated by and through Science.

Maybe actually I dislike the smug self satisfied (delusional & pseudoscientific) self righteous nature of its adherents, no its being likened to a Nazi, or a fool (in Mathew we are all told not to call others even a fool, "for whomsoever is angry at his brother without cause shall be in danger of the judgement" (Mathew 5:22) the self deception, no its the cowardice, but you can't blame them when the biggest sin they can commit is to deny the holy spirit, that is the presence of God, so God manages to control his followers lives (yes make no mistake the god in the bible is a HE) (HE's a bit of a bastard too!)
Actually there is nothing I like about it, even its deceptively inviting inclusive sharing nature is false-
isn't it time we grew up?
sorry this has been a bit of a rant but I feel deceived and lied too, like the victim of a scam, and want to find the truth and see now all religion especially the ones that disdain other religions and believe themselves to be having a personal relation with God the creator, or his more popular other third Jesus, or have the holy spirit in them - (delusional?) any thoughts ? comments or do I need to ask one question at a time or join a chat thread thingy ??
any comments from thinking atheists or even thinking creationists, but please not from unthinking creationists or unthinking evolutionists, after all were all in this together!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom46's post
04-12-2014, 03:55 AM
RE: a bit of a rant!
The things you mentioned in your post are precisely the reasons we should argue against them.
If we repeatedly refute their insane claims, there's a chance (however small) that some of them may rethink their worldview.
Left unchecked, welcome to a world of theocracy.
A place where modern medicine is disregarded in lieu of faith healing.
Where mere blasphemy can get you jailed or killed.
Think it can't happen in this day and age?
There are plenty out there that want exactly that.
Keep up the good fight and keep religion where it belongs and out of our government, schools, hospitals, and bedrooms.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
03-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Recently, I heard that evolution and its adherents are immoral and without purpose,
03-02-2015, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 06:24 PM by The Hidden Atheist.)
Recently, I heard that evolution and its adherents are immoral and without purpose,

I too have recently encountered this asinine argument. It honestly is an insult to those that understand the actuality of evolution, and can easily verify that evolution actually happened. It takes 15 minutes on the internet to find what it is, how it works, why it works, and how we know that it works. I know your frustration man.

Forgive my post above this one, I'm still trying to learn how the forum is set up. It's not letting me delete it, so just ignore it.
03-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Don't worry Hidden, only mods can delete I guess.

OP, did you mean Catholics' belief in the infallibility of the pope? God is infallible for all believers of any religion, not just Catholics. Also, note that such infallibility does not extend to any and every thing the pope says. Just wanted to point that out.

Here in Europe virtually everybody accepts evolution, I only got to know about creationism on YouTube. I don't think I ever met one in real life, as far as I know/can remember.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]