a conversation today at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 06:16 AM
RE: a conversation today at work
(19-08-2014 03:22 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 03:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Facepalm

But kudos to you...

What would have happened if you argued the Christian signage without mentioning your non-belief but kept it about it seemingly endorsing a particular religion over others?

I'm curious about that...but still kudos to you!

I usually tread very carefully at work, and use what you just mentioned. Today, for whatever reason I had decided enough was enough.

Several years ago (2003) I got stationed in Jacksonville Florida as the Weapons Dept Leading Chief Petty Officer. The facility is all the way down a road outside of the rest of the main base, kind of isolated. I pulled up into the parking lot and they had church music blaring over the outside/inside intercom system...I walked into the office and every wall had a picture of black jesus christ, I kid you not...every wall. I quietly made a few phone calls to the base senior chaplain, found out the rules, and immediately cleaned house. Four people who worked in the office, (one senior to me, who I was relieving, and 3 others junior to me) filed a formal grievance against me through the Navy Equal Opportunity program. An investigation was done, I was vindicated, training was held to explain to them the rules of religiosity in the workplace. They never knew I was an atheist, I heard the whispers, "he is probably an atheist", but it never came up, and I never offered the info because it was irrelevant. It has no place in the workplace, it is illegal, and the problem is it is just accepted because the majority think that way, and the minority don't want to create a fuss over it...

I wish all of us could be so brave! Bowing

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
22-08-2014, 12:01 PM
(22-08-2014 06:16 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 03:22 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I usually tread very carefully at work, and use what you just mentioned. Today, for whatever reason I had decided enough was enough.

Several years ago (2003) I got stationed in Jacksonville Florida as the Weapons Dept Leading Chief Petty Officer. The facility is all the way down a road outside of the rest of the main base, kind of isolated. I pulled up into the parking lot and they had church music blaring over the outside/inside intercom system...I walked into the office and every wall had a picture of black jesus christ, I kid you not...every wall. I quietly made a few phone calls to the base senior chaplain, found out the rules, and immediately cleaned house. Four people who worked in the office, (one senior to me, who I was relieving, and 3 others junior to me) filed a formal grievance against me through the Navy Equal Opportunity program. An investigation was done, I was vindicated, training was held to explain to them the rules of religiosity in the workplace. They never knew I was an atheist, I heard the whispers, "he is probably an atheist", but it never came up, and I never offered the info because it was irrelevant. It has no place in the workplace, it is illegal, and the problem is it is just accepted because the majority think that way, and the minority don't want to create a fuss over it...

I wish all of us could be so brave! Bowing

I don't give ground very well, it is a fundamental problem I have from growing up skinny and sickly and being messed with....now look at the monster they created Evil_monster

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
24-08-2014, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2014 09:06 PM by Jo~ciH.)
a conversation today at work
I also did a time @ Jax, good Ole Mayport. RM2 from 90-94, FFG-20, even worked in the officers mess for a two month stent ( Galley Helper, in that small 5x5 kitchen Wink before starting my designated career path.

I can't even remember how it was when I was in but I was a confused kid back then seeking knowledge and guidiance, I certainly did not find it with the Jesus saving fanatic groups on board. The "Frigate Fanatics", I called them... I can't say that I remember the propaganda but then again I probably wasn't paying attention to it back then on base or deployed.

I commend you in your efforts and your service, even the one beyond the uniform. Boy how things have changed and yet still stay the same it seems.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jo~ciH's post
24-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Good show, Jolly good show mate!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
25-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I love how he implies not seeing posters reinforcing his belief everywhere makes him suffer. Not just him, a ton of other people, too.

I know it can feel good to know people agree with you, but come freakin' on.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
25-08-2014, 12:02 PM
"Atheism" is a belief system like "off" is a TV channel.

The word only states "off" on the claim of God or gods. The word does not demand we pray or go to church. It says nothing about or education level or class or political views. It is not a loyalty oath either.

Science is independent of that label too. But we do lean to it because from what we observe it is the best process humans have come up with to test our observations about the nature of reality. But science itself is not a religion and atheists are not all brain surgeons or scientists for that matter.

We do not pray to Darwin or Dawkins, or Satan or Stalin. We simply do not assign the good or bad that happen in life to anything super natural.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
25-08-2014, 12:33 PM
(25-08-2014 12:02 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  "Atheism" is a belief system like "off" is a TV channel.

The word only states "off" on the claim of God or gods. The word does not demand we pray or go to church. It says nothing about or education level or class or political views. It is not a loyalty oath either.

Science is independent of that label too. But we do lean to it because from what we observe it is the best process humans have come up with to test our observations about the nature of reality. But science itself is not a religion and atheists are not all brain surgeons or scientists for that matter.

We do not pray to Darwin or Dawkins, or Satan or Stalin. We simply do not assign the good or bad that happen in life to anything super natural.

Well said!

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
25-08-2014, 02:40 PM
(22-08-2014 12:01 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 06:16 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I wish all of us could be so brave! Bowing

I don't give ground very well, it is a fundamental problem I have from growing up skinny and sickly and being messed with....now look at the monster they created Evil_monster

My goodness we need more people like you in the military in high positions. Navy civilian here (China Lake), most days it feels like I'm surrounded by the enemy. I can pretty much count on one hand the number of people in this town who know I'm an atheist (and all but one are other atheists). It feels like it's about 97% religious, HUGE Mormon population (yes, even in California!). You never know who you're talking to out here, so for someone in the beginning of their career like me, it can be nerve-wracking. I envy your self-confidence!

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
30-08-2014, 07:03 PM
(25-08-2014 02:40 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 12:01 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I don't give ground very well, it is a fundamental problem I have from growing up skinny and sickly and being messed with....now look at the monster they created Evil_monster

My goodness we need more people like you in the military in high positions. Navy civilian here (China Lake), most days it feels like I'm surrounded by the enemy. I can pretty much count on one hand the number of people in this town who know I'm an atheist (and all but one are other atheists). It feels like it's about 97% religious, HUGE Mormon population (yes, even in California!). You never know who you're talking to out here, so for someone in the beginning of their career like me, it can be nerve-wracking. I envy your self-confidence!

Thank you Yes

Knowledge from years of studying and debating gives me the confidence, support of TTA gives me the desire. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post