a head Thought

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2017, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 08:54 PM by kunoxian drive.)
a head Thought
I got a wierd hypothetical scenario.... just imagine someone that truly desires to rob a bank. maybe it's a desire they got from watching way to many heist movies as a kid. they go through their every day life maybe planning it in their head but never acting on it. eventualy too die of old age. so this person went their whole life desiring an evil ends but never acting on it. they never got around to it. no one knows why. so heres the question.... were they evil....???? I was just curious to what peoples answer to this would be.

p.s. hypothetical scenario is purely hypothetical.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2017, 10:25 PM
RE: a head Thought
We all have weird thoughts and desires that we never pursue, because they're weird, or we just never get around to it. Life gets busy sometimes. We just figure out how to be weird in our own way that doesn't bother other people too much if we don't like to cause a scene.

And we all wish that we were more important than that, but most of us aren't. But that's okay, because we are that important in the grand scheme of things.

Importance is relative.

Live a good life, or die trying. Everything else is unnecessary.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-10-2017, 11:07 PM
This is actually really interesting question.

At first I thought, this person chose not to so no, not evil. However, you explain that it just never happened.

Still, I don't think that person is evil. I am sure there are many other things to this person that are not just this one thing, so basing a whole person on one thing is not the core truth.

PS. Hypothetical- don't rob a bank. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Sounds like they were just lazy.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-10-2017, 03:30 AM
Sorry. I thought this was a XXX thread.

I shall be going now. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-10-2017, 05:04 AM
According to xian theology he's guilty because thoughts are equivalent to actions.

As far as I'm concerned, a fantasy is often a good way to ratchet down the stress levels. What would count would be the intent; actually intending to carry out the plan once it is perfected is different than just treating it like a little game.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Nope. Thoughts don't make one evil; actions do.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
06-10-2017, 09:20 AM
I'd love to rob a bank.
But I wouldn't love to get caught.
Morals don't prevent band robbery.
Prisons do.
Intellectually knowing that the money if FDIC ensured and basically the banks have been using that protection to line their own greedy pockets at the expense of tax payers for decades I wouldn't feel and remorse at all.
But I know that your chances of getting away with bank robbery are very very slim.
That's why it doesn't really happen much any more.
So in terms of morality I'd say
1. Morals don't live in a vacuum. Robbery is wrong but suppose you could have robbed from the Third Reich.
2. A person carrying through on an action may have a lot of reasons.
3. If you got away with it I don't see many people losing much sleep over it so any notions of morality are pretty much self delusion.
Now if someone was killed in the act or hurt then that's another thing all together.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
06-10-2017, 10:29 AM
A long time ago in a discussion board far, far away ..
there was a discussion of a meme (which wasn't called a meme back them because "meme" hadn't quite become a meme yet ) that said: "You are what you do." (And yes, that's a shortened form of C. G. Jung's: “You are what you do, not what you say you'll do.” ) Of course, there was the usual round of hysterical replies of: "I am not my job!" - to which we said: "It doesn't say 'what you do for a living' you crybabies!" And someone pointed out the obvious corollary: "You are not what you don't do."

No matter how emphatically you say that you have whole novels running around in your head, and "someday when you have the time" you will write them down, you are NOT a writer until you actually write stuff down - or make them pixels on a screen. And you don't get to call yourself a writer until you actually do. And it doesn't matter how much you wanted to do volunteer work in South Africa, or become a teacher in a poor school in Appalachia, but just didn't have the time or opportunity. You don't get to claim those things on your resume unless you actually did them. Buying a membership in a gym that you never actually go to won't make you fit, and thinking out detailed plans to rob a bank doesn't make you anything but a weird person, unless you take some actual, physical steps to rob a bank. You are what you do.
Drinking Beverage
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
12-10-2017, 07:40 AM
I'm not a big fan of thought crimes. If he actually did something legally actionable, that'd be a different story, but that's not the scenario.

I think the notion of being evil for thought crimes is a very retrograde way of thinking. It's not like he has an "evil soul" or something.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post