a human wanting to come back to humanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
a human wanting to come back to humanism
I am really confused on what to write here. I was born in a muslim family, have been following the rituals half heartily. The 2008 economic turmoil made me sit back and read some on personal improvements. recently started listening to Seth's pod casts.
I am in a big dilemma. I wish I could say that I don't want to be part of this anymore but where I am from and where I live, my sentence would be death. Hence the secrecy. Now what I feel most important to do in my life is to get my kids out of this mess if I can. Need some hugs and moral support here.
Seth, keep up the good work.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 10:58 AM
RE: a human wanting to come back to humanism
ahuman Wrote:I wish I could say that I don't want to be part of this anymore...

You can say anything you want to say here aHuman. However, as you say, take every precaution to stay safe and keep your family safe. We are an international site so there is always something going on at any time of the day or night. We have a Support forum and it includes a recovery from religion area... look around and I'm sure you will be welcome everywhere. Uh... watch out for the Trolls - don't take them personally, they hate everyone. Again, stay safe and Hug

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
(10-02-2013 10:36 AM)ahuman Wrote:  I am really confused on what to write here. I was born in a muslim family, have been following the rituals half heartily. The 2008 economic turmoil made me sit back and read some on personal improvements. recently started listening to Seth's pod casts.
I am in a big dilemma. I wish I could say that I don't want to be part of this anymore but where I am from and where I live, my sentence would be death. Hence the secrecy. Now what I feel most important to do in my life is to get my kids out of this mess if I can. Need some hugs and moral support here.
Seth, keep up the good work.
Do what you need to do to stay safe. It may involve living a lie for a long time. That can make you crazy. Seek support here or anywhere you need to to stay sane. Keep asking questions. Teach your kids to ask questions, any kind of questions--they don't have to be about religion. Make a real plan for getting out and try to make progress on that plan whenever you can; that way you won't feel so helpless. Best of luck.
[+] 1 user Likes socken's post
10-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Hang in there and make a plan for your family. Get them and yourself out and then you can explore life as you will.
Be careful and you can come here for support anytime.
And like Kim said, don't pay attention to the trolls. They are everywhere online, including here.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
(10-02-2013 01:23 PM)socken Wrote:  Do what you need to do to stay safe. It may involve living a lie for a long time. That can make you crazy. Seek support here or anywhere you need to to stay sane. Keep asking questions. Teach your kids to ask questions, any kind of questions--they don't have to be about religion. Make a real plan for getting out and try to make progress on that plan whenever you can; that way you won't feel so helpless. Best of luck.
Make a real plan for getting out... that's a good idea. Thumbsup

By the way aHuman, let us know where you are; as I said this is an international site and there may be someone on the forum already who is close to your country. It's always good to make safe connections. Atheists understand the necessity of secrecy. Shy

Know you are not alone in your realizations of religion and the effect it has on your surroundings.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Thank you so much all, these few words mean a lot to me. And yes, I have taught my 12 and 6 year old to ask questions and yes it makes me feel good when they do it. The younger one made good fuzz with his islamic teacher (it is compulsory for him to learn it by law) told him that real reason behind the recent tsunami in Japan was because they are non believers. I also had a discussion with the school counselor. I insisted that while teaching religion they must not inflict hatred and must not ridicule anyone.
Thank you again for your support. I am very very cautious to establish a local contact. Reason being I am from a country in south asia that is marred by west and Irani/Saudi petro dollars to inflict their own version of religion. So I moved to a comparatively liberal country in middle east where I have worked very hard on establishing a small business of my own and it won't be easy for me to move. But yes that is a good option. I have started meditating to keep myself calm and it helps. It deeply disturbs me when all the nice people around me are brain washed and taught to hate others because they can gain confidence from a certain set of rituals.
thank you so much and love to all and big bear hug to all of you
[+] 1 user Likes ahuman's post
13-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Wow, that's scary. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck and welcome.

[Image: vjp09.gif]