a moment of weakness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 05:48 PM
a moment of weakness
I went to my folk's house this morning and spent a few minutes shooting the breeze with my mom. Everything was going well, we talked about family, work and whatnot. We were talking about my cousin's goal to become a priest after finishing college when she brought up pope francis and all the progressive stuff he's been doing for the RCC. Before I knew it I was stating all the reforms that the RCC was only doing for PR, about how what pope francis says does not translate at all to a change in stance of the RCC.

I should have seen it coming. I told myself to stay away from that shit when talking to my folks. As expected massive impenetrable cognitive dissonance set it. She stated that the allegations of child rape may very well be fabrications. I had just enough presence of mind to just jump on my bike and pedal home. Not before rattling her cage though.

Now I'm expecting a long acrimonious "talk" when my dad gets home from business.

I admit I'm new to the militant (if you can call it that) activism thing. I still stand by my stance that people's feelings come secondary to what is right. I.e. your feelings might be hurt when i mention that an institution you have trusted all your life reveals just how criminal and immoral they are, but since they ARE criminal and immoral, i consider it my duty to call your attention to it. Nonetheless it is a thankless endeavor. She kept saying: "I don't want to hear anymore!". Almost literally covering her ears and singing "lalalalala". I guess I should expect persecution complex, cognitive dissonance, special pleading and strawman fallacies even from my family.

Apologies for the long post. Need to let off that particular steam vent so I can salvage some of the rest of my day.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ivaneus's post
16-05-2014, 05:53 PM
RE: a moment of weakness
In your defense you could point out that the pope himself recognises the problem. Shouldn't that count as evidence for it?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
16-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Hug

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
16-05-2014, 06:42 PM
(16-05-2014 05:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  In your defense you could point out that the pope himself recognises the problem. Shouldn't that count as evidence for it?

I did point that out. Smile And that is actually what rattled her cage and prompted her to close off all outside input. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch. Censored

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 4 users Like ivaneus's post
16-05-2014, 06:43 PM
(16-05-2014 06:00 PM)Charis Wrote:  Hug

Thanks very much. Big Grin Hug

[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
16-05-2014, 07:04 PM
(16-05-2014 05:48 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  it that) activism thing. I still stand by my stance that people's feelings come secondary to what is right. I.e. your feelings might be hurt when i mention that an institution you have trusted all your life reveals just how criminal and immoral they are, but since they ARE criminal and immoral, i consider it my duty to call your attention to it. Nonetheless it is a thankless endeavor. She kept saying: "I don't want to hear anymore!". Almost literally covering her ears and singing "lalalalala". I guess I should expect persecution complex, cognitive dissonance, special pleading and strawman fallacies even from my family.

Being right is not always the most important thing.

The result of your actions is.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-05-2014, 07:14 PM
(16-05-2014 07:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 05:48 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  it that) activism thing. I still stand by my stance that people's feelings come secondary to what is right. I.e. your feelings might be hurt when i mention that an institution you have trusted all your life reveals just how criminal and immoral they are, but since they ARE criminal and immoral, i consider it my duty to call your attention to it. Nonetheless it is a thankless endeavor. She kept saying: "I don't want to hear anymore!". Almost literally covering her ears and singing "lalalalala". I guess I should expect persecution complex, cognitive dissonance, special pleading and strawman fallacies even from my family.

Being right is not always the most important thing.

I agree. For me it is for a greater good. Our country and our citizens are actively being prevented from progressing by the theocracy of the RCC. I'm just trying to help by exposing the hypocrisy of the RCC. Some days I wonder if it's all worth it, honestly. Maybe someday I will se a change for the better, or maybe someday I'll just think it is no longer worth it and tap out. As long as I think I can make a difference....

16-05-2014, 07:25 PM
(16-05-2014 07:14 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 07:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  Being right is not always the most important thing.

I agree. For me it is for a greater good. Our country and our citizens are actively being prevented from progressing by the theocracy of the RCC. I'm just trying to help by exposing the hypocrisy of the RCC. Some days I wonder if it's all worth it, honestly. Maybe someday I will se a change for the better, or maybe someday I'll just think it is no longer worth it and tap out. As long as I think I can make a difference....

It is worth it if it brings the desired results, and that involves giving other people a chance to work it out.

You can't shed xx years of conditioning because of a conversation. Humans are not capable of that. The older the person the more difficult it gets, and with the senior citizens it has no good results whatsoever, it just pulls the carpet out from under their feet and ensures that they spend the rest of their lives in misery.

I say educate the public, and give individuals a chance to work things out. It is your generation, the young generation, that is most important in this. That's who matters most, that is who will shape the future. Both effectiveness and importance decrease incrementally with age. Your peers are who need to be shown, they are young and can change easily, and they will rule soon enough and matter most.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-05-2014, 07:36 PM
(16-05-2014 07:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 07:14 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  I agree. For me it is for a greater good. Our country and our citizens are actively being prevented from progressing by the theocracy of the RCC. I'm just trying to help by exposing the hypocrisy of the RCC. Some days I wonder if it's all worth it, honestly. Maybe someday I will se a change for the better, or maybe someday I'll just think it is no longer worth it and tap out. As long as I think I can make a difference....

It is worth it if it brings the desired results, and that involves giving other people a chance to work it out.

You can't shed xx years of conditioning because of a conversation. Humans are not capable of that. The older the person the more difficult it gets, and with the senior citizens it has no good results whatsoever, it just pulls the carpet out from under their feet and ensures that they spend the rest of their lives in misery.

I say educate the public, and give individuals a chance to work things out. It is your generation, the young generation, that is most important in this. That's who matters most, that is who will shape the future. Both effectiveness and importance decrease incrementally with age. Your peers are who need to be shown, they are young and can change easily, and they will rule soon enough and matter most.

Good point. This really helps me. I will adjust my interaction and redirect my efforts accordingly. Thanks. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
16-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Your parents sound like hopeless cases.

Fortunately, the fucker admitted it.

https://my.news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-a...55447.html

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!