a moment of weakness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 10:58 PM
RE: a moment of weakness
(16-05-2014 05:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  In your defense you could point out that the pope himself recognises the problem. Shouldn't that count as evidence for it?

unless the pope is a liar... Consider

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
17-05-2014, 04:49 PM
(16-05-2014 08:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Your parents sound like hopeless cases.

Fortunately, the fucker admitted it.

https://my.news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-a...55447.html

It looks like it. Reinforcing the old dogs, new tricks cliche. Also, as Dom said it doesn't look like it would result in any incremental benefit if i engage them in this discussion. So i'm laying off discussing this with them.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
17-05-2014, 04:50 PM
(16-05-2014 10:58 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 05:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  In your defense you could point out that the pope himself recognises the problem. Shouldn't that count as evidence for it?

unless the pope is a liar... Consider

Liar's paradox FTW! Smile

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
17-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Thank you all for offering your advice. Everything you said has been useful to me. Just an update, my mom sent me a text, apologizing for her outburst. I sent an apology back myself, promising to try and avoid dicussing that particular topic with her in the future. I'll pick my battles in the future to ensure my militancy bear more significant fruits.

[+] 3 users Like ivaneus's post
17-05-2014, 04:58 PM
(17-05-2014 04:52 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  Thank you all for offering your advice. Everything you said has been useful to me. Just an update, my mom sent me a text, apologizing for her outburst. I sent an apology back myself, promising to try and avoid dicussing that particular topic with her in the future. I'll pick my battles in the future to ensure my militancy bear more significant fruits.

That is the best way to handle it. That way they don't begin to think of you as one of those 'angry atheists' because that just adds more trouble.

The last thing you want is for them to have excuses for your lack of belief.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2014, 05:01 PM
(17-05-2014 04:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-05-2014 04:52 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  Thank you all for offering your advice. Everything you said has been useful to me. Just an update, my mom sent me a text, apologizing for her outburst. I sent an apology back myself, promising to try and avoid dicussing that particular topic with her in the future. I'll pick my battles in the future to ensure my militancy bear more significant fruits.

That is the best way to handle it. That way they don't begin to think of you as one of those 'angry atheists' because that just adds more trouble.

Thanks MSBB. Although i have discovered that some people will brand you "angry" no matter how calmly you state the truth. I guess that's no excuse not to be civil to them. Smile

[+] 2 users Like ivaneus's post
17-05-2014, 05:15 PM
(17-05-2014 05:01 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  
(17-05-2014 04:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That is the best way to handle it. That way they don't begin to think of you as one of those 'angry atheists' because that just adds more trouble.

Thanks MSBB. Although i have discovered that some people will brand you "angry" no matter how calmly you state the truth. I guess that's no excuse not to be civil to them. Smile
Many Christians assume by default that an Atheist who is a former Christian has "rejected God" for mostly emotional reasons, so you're going to find that the "angry Atheist" label will probably be a rather hard one to shake off. In fact, for them to seriously consider the rational objections would be to expose their own faith to something potentially dangerous... which of course could result in their faith being weakened and them being displeasing to God, etc., etc.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 3 users Like Charis's post
17-05-2014, 05:21 PM
(16-05-2014 05:48 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  I went to my folk's house this morning and spent a few minutes shooting the breeze with my mom. Everything was going well, we talked about family, work and whatnot. We were talking about my cousin's goal to become a priest after finishing college when she brought up pope francis and all the progressive stuff he's been doing for the RCC. Before I knew it I was stating all the reforms that the RCC was only doing for PR, about how what pope francis says does not translate at all to a change in stance of the RCC.

I should have seen it coming. I told myself to stay away from that shit when talking to my folks. As expected massive impenetrable cognitive dissonance set it. She stated that the allegations of child rape may very well be fabrications. I had just enough presence of mind to just jump on my bike and pedal home. Not before rattling her cage though.

Now I'm expecting a long acrimonious "talk" when my dad gets home from business.

I admit I'm new to the militant (if you can call it that) activism thing. I still stand by my stance that people's feelings come secondary to what is right. I.e. your feelings might be hurt when i mention that an institution you have trusted all your life reveals just how criminal and immoral they are, but since they ARE criminal and immoral, i consider it my duty to call your attention to it. Nonetheless it is a thankless endeavor. She kept saying: "I don't want to hear anymore!". Almost literally covering her ears and singing "lalalalala". I guess I should expect persecution complex, cognitive dissonance, special pleading and strawman fallacies even from my family.

Apologies for the long post. Need to let off that particular steam vent so I can salvage some of the rest of my day.

I have found the faithful are absolutely horrified when faced with things like; facts, reason and logic...it petrifies them. It makes them question things they have been spoon fed....they like to rock back and forth while reciting I believe in baby jesus, i believe in baby jesus over and over until the doubt fades...they believe the inner doubt is the devil trying to get their soul....sad....best of luck.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
17-05-2014, 05:23 PM
(17-05-2014 05:15 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(17-05-2014 05:01 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  Thanks MSBB. Although i have discovered that some people will brand you "angry" no matter how calmly you state the truth. I guess that's no excuse not to be civil to them. Smile
Many Christians assume by default that an Atheist who is a former Christian has "rejected God" for mostly emotional reasons, so you're going to find that the "angry Atheist" label will probably be a rather hard one to shake off. In fact, for them to seriously consider the rational objections would be to expose their own faith to something potentially dangerous... which of course could result in their faith being weakened and them being displeasing to God, etc., etc.

That's why I would redirect the conversation to something more mutual.

And steer clear of issues revolving around atheism or belief.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-05-2014, 05:27 PM
(17-05-2014 05:21 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I have found the faithful are absolutely horrified when faced with things like; facts, reason and logic...it petrifies them. It makes them question things they have been spoon fed....they like to rock back and forth while reciting I believe in baby jesus, i believe in baby jesus over and over until the doubt fades...they believe the inner doubt is the devil trying to get their soul....sad....best of luck.

Yes that's the way i at least try to see it as well. I find it difficult though, primarily because my parents taught me HOW to think not WHAT to think and i kind of expect them to heed their own lessons. Nevertheless i recognize that does not hold true and i am adjusting my expectations accordingly.

[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post