a question for atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 12:46 PM
a question for atheist
I know im not a christian because of reasons I don't want to get into but i believe in Jesus. There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found my question is for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution? I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the diffrence between a ape and a human fossil?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: a question for atheist
(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  ...for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution?

No. At most it would add another organism to the tree of life.

There is sufficient evidence that humans and other primates evolved from a common ancestor millions of years ago, as demonstrated by similarities in DNA sequences.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Astreja's post
20-06-2016, 01:22 PM
There are mountains of evidence (including DNA) for Evolution.
There is not even one competing theory that explains what is observed.
Every single major university in the entire world teaches it.
There is NO CHANCE AT ALL it will be proven wrong. Adjustments will be make to the details of this or that evolutionary branch.

Anyone who had a complete theory to replace it would get a Nobel.
Not gonna happen.
Ever.
End of story.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-06-2016, 01:24 PM
(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I know im not a christian because of reasons I don't want to get into but i believe in Jesus.

I have no idea what that means.

Quote:There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found my question is for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution?

First, newspaper reports are not generally the best source of information regarding scientific discoveries even today, let alone in the 1800s. Second, speculating that if X existed it would disprove Y is fine but you have to show that X exists before it actually matters. Third, an unexpected fossil doesn't necessarily disprove evolution as there were many dead ends. It would have to be something completely unlike anything else or definitively dated to the wrong era to even begin to raise serious questions. Why would you expect otherwise?

Quote: I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the diffrence between a ape and a human fossil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus

Yes, the differences can be identified. Whether a reporter bothered to ask people qualified to identify those differences is another matter entirely. That's especially true when such "discoveries" are being reported by creationist sources.

By the way, if something did disprove the theory of evolution by natural selection it would not mean that "god did it" was the answer by default. There would still need to be actual evidence for that claim

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
20-06-2016, 01:27 PM
(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  ... i believe in Jesus.

I believe in Jon Snow.

What do you mean?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
20-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Welcome!

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I know im not a christian because of reasons I don't want to get into but i believe in Jesus.

I don't understand. You believe a person named jesus existed, but he wasn't god?

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found

Those were fake too. Just like the story of "jacko" the sasquatch the railroad workers captured. Just wild stories to sell newspapers. Although if you have specific stories in mind, feel free to post the links.

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  my question is for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution?

You would need to post a link to a story. No authentic hominid fossils have been found that contradicted evolution.

Newspapers in the 1800's ran stories about giant human skeletons, giant human skeletons with horns, wild men living in the woods and airships that appeared over the US. Without the actual fossils, newspapers stories from that time are not reliable enough.

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the diffrence between a ape and a human fossil?

We are apes. Humans are a subspecies of apes. But, it is my understanding that all of the subspecies of apes can each be identified by their skeletal differences.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
20-06-2016, 04:55 PM

That's a smidge confusing. What exactly do you mean then when you say that you believe in Jesus?

Quote:There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found my question is for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution?

Not even remotely. We have fossil "hobbits" and gigantism is just as common an evolutionary theme as dwarfism. Just look at the Pleistocene for some of the more recent examples. I wouldn't even be surprised by the discovery of a giant hominid species. Definitely intrigued though.

Quote:I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the diffrence between a ape and a human fossil?

Yes. Any marginally competent anthropologist ought to be able to spot the differences. It might get a little tricky with very distant relatives that are much closer to our common ancestors with the apes but that's what experts are for.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
20-06-2016, 05:04 PM
(20-06-2016 01:18 PM)Astreja Wrote:  There is sufficient evidence that humans and other primates evolved from a common ancestor millions of years ago, as demonstrated by similarities in DNA sequences.

Apparently it's this little drunken bastard.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-06-2016, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2016 04:34 AM by Full Circle.)
(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I know im not a christian because of reasons I don't want to get into but i believe in Jesus. There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found my question is for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution? I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the diffrence between a ape and a human fossil?

Wow.

Most of these intro/drive by posts just hurt my head and I lose a little more hope for humanity.

PS so you can understand where I’m coming from, I just spent an hour discussing the pros and cons of allopatric speciation within the Hypoplectrus genus before I read that...Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
20-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Define "giants".