a question for atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 07:50 PM
RE: a question for atheist
(20-06-2016 06:28 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Define "giants".

must...

not...

make...

dick joke....

Big Grin

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
20-06-2016, 08:12 PM
(20-06-2016 06:28 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Define "giants".

[Image: anigif_enhanced-buzz-9929-1438310740-6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
20-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the forums. Smile

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I know I'm not a christian because of reasons I don't want to get into but i believe in Jesus.
Firstly, why do you mount the proposition that you're not a Christian? Second, how can you not "believe" in Jesus if indeed you are a Christian? These claims are self-contradictory surely.

Quote:There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found...
All of the century-old photographs and testimonies have long been proved to be bogus. There is not one single image that has ever been authenticated.

For example:

"The Piltdown Man was a paleoanthropological hoax in which bone fragments were presented as the fossilised remains of a previously unknown early human. These fragments consisted of those parts of a skull said to have been collected beginning in 1908, with an alleged accompanying jawbone added later, from a gravel pit at Piltdown, East Sussex, England.

The questionable significance of the assemblage remained the subject of considerable controversy until it was conclusively exposed in 1953 as a forgery. It was found to have consisted of the altered mandible and some teeth of an orangutan deliberately combined with the cranium of a fully developed, though small-brained, modern human"

Quote:...my question is for the sake of argument let's say that the fossils are real; would that disprove evolution? I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the difference between an ape and a human fossil?
Any "for the sake of argument"-type propositions are a time-waster and not worthy of debate. Sorry.

And yes; DNA can be used as a determinant. In 2013, scientists accurately sequenced the DNA of a 670,000-year-old horse leg bone.

(BTW, it's pointless on a site such as this to be using 3rd-party hearsay to support your suppositions.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
20-06-2016, 09:24 PM
(20-06-2016 09:19 PM)SYZ Wrote:  (BTW, it's pointless on a site such as this to be using 3rd-party hearsay to support your suppositions.)

Not necessarily SYZ, I was told by a friend of a friend that he once heard from a passing stranger that 3rd-party hearsay is always true.

Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
20-06-2016, 11:13 PM
(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I know im not a christian because of reasons I don't want to get into but i believe in Jesus. There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found my question is for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution? I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the diffrence between a ape and a human fossil?

I've seen those old photos. They were altered. Photographers started messing around with photography to fool people almost as soon as photography was invented.

But there are people who have gigantism which is an overproduction of a growth hormone. I think these days doctors alter the growth hormone when the child is younger to keep the child from growing but I could be wrong. Sometimes it's a tumor in the pituitary gland that needs to be removed.This is a photograph, unaltered, of one of the tallest men ever recorded. He had gigantism. It probably doesn't answer your question but, well, that's my two cents.

[Image: Robert-Wadlow-1.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-06-2016, 05:58 AM
(20-06-2016 09:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 09:19 PM)SYZ Wrote:  (BTW, it's pointless on a site such as this to be using 3rd-party hearsay to support your suppositions.)

Not necessarily SYZ, I was told by a friend of a friend that he once heard from a passing stranger that 3rd-party hearsay is always true.

Smile

Can I quote you on that? Angel

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-07-2016, 04:10 PM
(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I know im not a christian because of reasons I don't want to get into but i believe in Jesus.

Please expand. Do you believe in the superpower Jesus. Or the Charismatic Yeshua?

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  There were images of fossils of giants on the internet that were proven to be fake but a long time ago in the 1800's and early to mid 1900's there were newspapers that said there were fossils of giants that were found.

[Image: Giant-Human-Skeletons-Discovered-in-Wisconsin.jpg]

Take a mintue to think about what you just said. I'm serious.

You've just said that images of giant fossils have been proven to be fake.
Then go into saying that newspaper articles from the 1800-1900's talked about giants. And they seem legit? Let's talk about the olden day's. And the old expresion "There's a sucker born every minute."

[Image: Cottingley_Fairies_1.jpg]

[Image: ?format=1000w]

The above photo is was world famous around 1917. It's know as the Cottingley Fairies. Real debates came around from their authenticity even grabing the attention of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (best know as the creator of Sherlock Holmes.) Who took it upon himself to try to prove that faeries where real. Photographer "experts" where brought in to inspect the authenticity. Many concluded that there truly was no photo play. And that the negatives had not been messed with.
They were even brought to Kodak for a second opion. Several company technicians examind the enhanced and all agreed that they "showed no signs of being faked That they were authentic photographs of fairies"

Years later the girls confessed to cutting out paper cut outs and playing with a camera. (duh) But influential, smart people where tricked.

Now what I think you may be thinking of is the Cardiff Giant.

[Image: cardiff_tfm_page_web.jpg]

[Image: Cardiff_giant-banner.jpg]

[Image: b57163_c0f9789d446045cf9b664e09117ab790.jpg]

I remember first hearing about this one when I was much younger on Ripley's Beleve it or not. It was (is) a gigantic 10ft stone man. That came out in 1869. People speculated with was a petrified giant just like the one's in Genesis 6:4.

Because of this a New York Tobacconist name George Hull (who was an Atheist) and a Methodist Reverend got into an argument. Hull thought the bible was a bunch of hog wash, and The Reverend insisted that every word of the bible was true. And any true christian would say the same. According to Hull after this conversation thought he could make some money, at the same time as poke fun at some Biblical literalist.

Hull's idea turned out to be a stroke of genius. The entire venture cost him over $2,600 (all done with the collusion of the farmer Newell and the stonecutters who carved the giant), but the gamble paid off when a group of businessmen paid $37,500 to buy the giant and move it to Syracuse, where it could be more prominently exhibited.

Hearing about the money that was coming in P.T. Barnum (Barnum & Bailey Circus) offered the new owners $60,000 for three months lease of the "giant". He was turned down. So he paid an artist to create a replica.

[Image: 85d3c9e0a012bc3740c0826b027e148d.jpg]

People flocked to it, Barnum knew how to advertise. The original (fake) owner infuriated took Barnum to court of forgery. The case was dropped when the judge asked for paperwork to prove the originals authenticity.

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  my question is for the sake of argument lets say that the fossils are real would that disprove evolution?

No. Not by a long shot. If someone had a ligetamet fossle of a giant all it would do would be added to the pile of other human ancestor fossils we have.

(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I heard that there was a giant ape that was about 10 feet tall but wouldn't you be able to see the diffrence between a ape and a human fossil?

Most defently.

So long as you knew what you where looking at.

[Image: Gigantopithecus-3.jpg]

Human skull on the right Gigantopithecus Skull on the left.

Gigantopithecus went extinct 100,000 years ago.

Homo Sapiens have been around 200,000 years. Have had Civilization for only about 6,000.

The modern Scientific method has been around even less time then that. But has already been proven to work time and time again.

This is a "cyclopes skull" or at least it was to the ancient greeks. Long before paleontology.

[Image: mastodon-skull-cyclops.jpg]

We now now it belonged to this guy.

[Image: MammothVsMastodon.jpg]

A mammoth.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
13-07-2016, 04:17 PM
(20-06-2016 01:27 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 12:46 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  ... i believe in Jesus.

I believe in Jon Snow.

What do you mean?

Good Lord, so do I Drooling Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Well, to be fair, there is a giant on the frozen peas I have in the freezer... Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-07-2016, 04:24 PM
In all seriousness, the Bible Skeptic has a series on youtube about this very topic. I think it would be good for you to watch. There are 4 parts. Here's the first one to get you started.