a question on my test this week and my hilarious answer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 03:00 PM
a question on my test this week and my hilarious answer
So in my evolution class, this week's quiz had this as one of the questions:

How might reproductive isolation lead to even stronger reproductive isolation? Create a fictitious example using some of the isolating mechanisms mentioned in this module.

and my answer which made me grin as I typed it Smartass

Reproductive isolation are multiple mechanisms which prevent two different species that mate from producing offspring. This ensures the integrity of the species line and characteristics. These include pre-and post mating mechanisms.

Fictional example: The North Canadian purple unicorn wishes to mate with the cute Bigfoot who recently moved into his region of the forest. Preventing this from happening are several mechanisms to include mechanical isolation; due to the difference in the shape, alignment and size of the genitalia between unicorn and the Bigfoot this mating is nigh impossible. Another preventative mechanism is the prancing around by the unicorn does little to move the Bigfoot to his desires to mate, and instead seems like aggressive behavior meant to shoo her away. Also, the Bigfoot prefers to mate in the winter, and it is currently spring here in the Canadian forest region. Even if copulation could occur, chromosomal imbalances between the two species would prevent an offspring, or in the slight chance it didn’t, the offspring would most likely be sterile. Thus, if the degree of reproductive isolation exists between the unicorn and Bigfoot due to negative adaptability of the theoretical hybrid offspring, then the assumption can be made that the populations of these two species living in the same area will show a greater reproductive isolation, than those located different geographical areas.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

I got a 100 Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
18-08-2014, 03:12 PM
RE: a question on my test this week and my hilarious answer
You've got some good teachers Wink And good classes and good answers. Is that university? Sounds like university. High school teachers tend to be... narrow-minded.

Although to me the term "reproductive isolation" seems rather redundant for entirely different species. I thought the teacher would require some groups that split and then might reunite, like lions and tigers, or two backwoods hillbilly cousin-marrying clans who split and develop different deformities.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
18-08-2014, 03:22 PM
(18-08-2014 03:00 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So in my evolution class, this week's quiz had this as one of the questions:

How might reproductive isolation lead to even stronger reproductive isolation? Create a fictitious example using some of the isolating mechanisms mentioned in this module.

Reproductive isolation are multiple mechanisms which prevent two different species that mate from producing offspring. This ensures the integrity of the species line and characteristics. These include pre-and post mating mechanisms.

Fictional example: The North Canadian purple unicorn wishes to mate with the cute Bigfoot who recently moved into his region of the forest. Preventing this from happening are several mechanisms to include mechanical isolation; due to the difference in the shape, alignment and size of the genitalia between unicorn and the Bigfoot this mating is nigh impossible. Another preventative mechanism is the prancing around by the unicorn does little to move the Bigfoot to his desires to mate, and instead seems like aggressive behavior meant to shoo her away. Also, the Bigfoot prefers to mate in the winter, and it is currently spring here in the Canadian forest region. Even if copulation could occur, chromosomal imbalances between the two species would prevent an offspring, or in the slight chance it didn’t, the offspring would most likely be sterile. Thus, if the degree of reproductive isolation exists between the unicorn and Bigfoot due to negative adaptability of the theoretical hybrid offspring, then the assumption can be made that the populations of these two species living in the same area will show a greater reproductive isolation, than those located different geographical areas.

I got a 100 Smartass

So there's no chance of a unifoot? Sadcryface2

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-08-2014, 03:30 PM
(18-08-2014 03:12 PM)Luminon Wrote:  You've got some good teachers Wink And good classes and good answers. Is that university? Sounds like university. High school teachers tend to be... narrow-minded.

Although to me the term "reproductive isolation" seems rather redundant for entirely different species. I thought the teacher would require some groups that split and then might reunite, like lions and tigers, or two backwoods hillbilly cousin-marrying clans who split and develop different deformities.

Yes it is a university class, I take anything I find interesting even if I don't need it, like every religious class that pops up. I start History of christianity next semester, can't wait. I enjoy dismantling the information as I go through class, and they can't do anything about it because I first answer/complete the assignment, then tie my personal knowledge of facts into it to thoroughly debunk the misinformation. Surprisingly, they don't disagree with me, as they know what I say is true, they merely counter with, "there must be something more to life, exploration into a transcendental reality gives us hope". They always ask for "personal reflection" in religious classes, and boy do I give them that. My debunking the class doesn't affect my grade as I have a 3.98 GPA hehe. It hones my skills, civility and gives me an opportunity to engage those who cling to the delusion, and expose them to reason, logic and real world evidence.

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
18-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I forgot what reproductive isolation was until right now when I saw it. I need to refresh on what I know.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
18-08-2014, 03:36 PM
(18-08-2014 03:22 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 03:00 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So in my evolution class, this week's quiz had this as one of the questions:

I got a 100 Smartass

So there's no chance of a unifoot? Sadcryface2

Sadly not yet, perhaps it is the genitalia alignment issue Consider

18-08-2014, 04:34 PM
(18-08-2014 03:12 PM)Luminon Wrote:  You've got some good teachers Wink And good classes and good answers. Is that university? Sounds like university. High school teachers tend to be... narrow-minded.

Wait a minute, Lumi, I thought all universities were horrible brainwashing factories funded by stolen government money?

Have the reptiloids made some changes while I wasn't looking?

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
18-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Re: RE: a question on my test this week and my hilarious answer
(18-08-2014 04:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Wait a minute, Lumi, I thought all universities were horrible brainwashing factories funded by stolen government money?

I'm a bit surprised if he's serious to thinking that's some rare form of good questioning. In a college or high school level you'll find that logical pattern of give a scenario to describe X. It's not bad, but it's middle road of the range at where value of in depth thinking lessons are judged.

Either way, good answer, but I wanna see the future of genetically made bigcorns over unifoot.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-08-2014, 04:36 AM
(18-08-2014 11:18 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 04:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Wait a minute, Lumi, I thought all universities were horrible brainwashing factories funded by stolen government money?

I'm a bit surprised if he's serious to thinking that's some rare form of good questioning. In a college or high school level you'll find that logical pattern of give a scenario to describe X. It's not bad, but it's middle road of the range at where value of in depth thinking lessons are judged.

Either way, good answer, but I wanna see the future of genetically made bigcorns over unifoot.

Yeah it isn't a hard class by any stretch of the imagination, but an interesting one. I always take advantage of creative liberties given out by the instructor to poke fun at fairy tales.

[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post