a "religious" experience at NASA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
a "religious" experience at NASA
my wife and i took a trip to Florida and we visited the Kennedy Space Center. we watched a few 3d films and went on a shuttle sim. we walked around the rocket garden, ate some spaceman food and looked at some cool old museum stuff. then we got on a bus and checked out a launch pad and the building where they stacked the shuttles. then we went to this other giant building and watched another film. it was cool. but what was to be next blew my mind. we walked through a set of doors and there it was. the Saturn V. holy fuck... the hairs on my neck stood up as if they themselves wanted to see. my eyes filled with tears. my legs got weak. i couldnt believe the size of it. i had never experienced anything like it. i was amazed by it and at the same time angered that this wonderful thing was not still being used. i walked slowly along side it in complete awe. i couldnt take my eyes off it. i didnt know at the time but my wife tells me she had to guide me along so i wouldnt walk into someone or something. it was one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen in my life. no religion ever concieved could compare to this. what i saw that day is a testament to what we are able to achieve. this is truly a symbol of human greatness. a symbol of what the scientific method can do for humanity. but you know, religion has ancient books and invisable warlords. standing by this peice of amazing tech maks one realize what religion truly achieves.. nothing!
if you havent seen the Saturn V then i urge you to make the pilgramage. the Vatican, Mecca, Temple Mount? built to honer imaginary gods. pft. they are a joke compared to the Saturn V. built by gods itself...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
04-03-2013, 09:53 PM
RE: a "religious" experience at NASA
I'm sorry, but this was just too good to waste:

Quote:my eyes filled with tears. my legs got weak. i couldnt believe the size
of it. i had never experienced anything like it. i was amazed by it

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
04-03-2013, 10:05 PM
(04-03-2013 09:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I'm sorry, but this was just too good to waste:

^This
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Hey, Druid.

You've demonstrated two things:

1 - Humanity's relationship to the sacred is powerful and undeniable, we are humbled in the face of it and wither without it

2 - Lots of humans think that their sacred is better than other human's sacred

Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
04-03-2013, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 10:42 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(04-03-2013 09:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I'm sorry, but this was just too good to waste:

oh shit. do you suppose im gay for big cigar shaped objects? looks like i need some time for self discovery... oh crap is that suggestive too? help me i need help.
04-03-2013, 10:37 PM
(04-03-2013 10:26 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Druid.

You've demonstrated two things:

1 - Humanity's relationship to the sacred is powerful and undeniable, we are humbled in the face of it and wither without it

2 - Lots of humans think that their sacred is better than other human's sacred

Cool

Matt
you see, what i said here was a metaphor. nothing is actually sacred..
05-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey, Druid.

I disagree fundamentally. A relationship with the sacred is an important part of the human condition and humans sicken when they cut themselves off from it. Unfortunately, it is often the proverbial baby that gets thrown out with the bath water.

Matt
05-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Druid:
That was an amazing post! I'm organizing a tour of Miami and etc. locations this week and just had an e-mail from a couple who want to see NASA on the way into Miami after flying to Orlando. I likewise had no idea before my visit about a year ago that a Saturn V was stored at the KSC--I assumed they were dismantled after Apollo shut down. I wept when I saw it and told my kids, "Take a look, children. That vehicle is a real spaceship. It's been to another planetary body!" As for human achievement, I also showed them my cell phone and said, "I've got more computing technology inside this than were in that rocket!"