a serious problem...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2011, 07:36 PM
a serious problem...
I needed to talk to somebody about this, and I figured since I can talk to you guys anonymously (kind of), I figured you would be a good choice.

My aunt and my uncle are getting divorced. I am good friends with the uncle [my aunt is the one that is blood related to me]. I am also on good terms with his family.

They were fighting about who gets what, you know? He said to her, "I can make this easy, or I can make this hard." So she decides to respond with "Fine, please make it hard." He asks for the keys to the vehicle (for context, before this they shared a Ford Explorer). She refuses to give them to him, so he grabs her phone and explains that he will not give the keys back until he gets the car keys.

So my aunt says to my mom (her blood sister) "Call the police". To prevent her from doing so, my uncle goes up to my mom and tries to snatch the phone from her hand.

I was not watching any of this, just hearing it. Next thing I hear is my mom yelling "Take my hands off me you bastard! Brandon (me), call the police!" While this is going on, my aunt is choking my uncle to prevent him from hurting my mom.

I thought he had hit my mom or something, so I immediately ran to the phone and called the police. After I hand the phone to mom (once he saw me dial the phone he calmed down), he looks to me and says "Thanks a lot, pal."

Now, personally, had I known he just tried to snag her phone I would not have grabbed the phone. I feel like I kind of betrayed him. I still want to be friends with him, and his family. I don't know what to do. I already apologized to him, but I am not sure if we are going to be on speaking terms again for a while, and I am almost positive my mother will not let me go over to house so we can hang out anymore.

What do I do? Please respond, I am very confused...

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 08:25 PM
RE: a serious problem...
You did nothing wrong, and in time - when he cools down - he'll probably recognize this himself. Everyone in the room - except for you - was behaving immaturely. These kinds of situations often bring this side of adults to the surface.

Now, if your uncle doesn't realize in time that you were doing what you had to do, then he isn't really so much of a man anyway, and it will be his loss.
03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree with Gamutman. Let things cool down and bide your time for a while. Think about it as little as possible. This will give you a break from the stress, and let you think clearer when you return to it later.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
03-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Your uncle has a lot of crap on his plate right now. Just give him some time. Be sure he knows you're there for him though when he comes around.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
It's not really fair that you get caught in something that is basically NOT YOUR problem. You should be excused from this. I agree on the "immature" statement above. Looks like they are mostly busy with themselves instead of the people close to them. Sorry to say, this includes your mom. She should not force you to choose sides.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
04-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Your uncle seems to have his plate full at the moment , he probably feels pushed aside by everyone so he needs some time to think about it.
As for you , you did the right thing , you protected your mom which is more than admirable.
Maybe if your uncle didn't see you dialing the phone the situation might have escalated , so I think what you did is for the best.