abrahamic religions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2015, 02:46 PM
RE: abrahamic religions
(25-07-2015 02:22 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  so due to the fact that the first followers of christ were jewish and thought that this guy was fufilling the jewish prophecey the existence of christianity is not dependant of non jewish followers only jews need to be Christians its not significat if non jews are? it started as a small jewish sect and has no relation to other religions

It's a bit complicated.

I'll give you the "nuts and bolts" as I see it.

The first followers of a Jesus (not a "Christ") were Jewish. They weren't Christians. They hoped Jesus would defeat the Romans, but were disappointed when the Romans killed him.

Fifteen years later, along came Paul (and probably others like him,) employed by the Roman government, to create a watered down version of Judaism, one that didn't cause trouble for the government. Paul was obsessed with his "Christ," a ghost, a son of God.

After the first Jewish war, the Roman government wrote the first versions of the gospels; stories about a Jeebus, which were largely fictional, but maybe based on the poor sod they had knocked off 35 plus years earlier. These gospels too were designed to suppress the military ambitions of pugnacious religious fanatics (militant Jews.)

Later on, in the second century, spin doctors merged Paul's Christ into the gospels, and inserted "Jesus" into Paul's letters.

The guts of Christianity were, therefore, created by the Roman government, to suppress militant Judaism.

That's how I see it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
25-07-2015, 02:58 PM
No.
What Christianity has morphed" into, is not "Abrahamic". ("Abrahamic" is a euphemism, as there was no real man named Abraham, or if there was he is not identifiable, historically). Archaeology has determined that his family (Isaac and Jacob), are not related by various "place name" locations. So *if* the religion the Hebrews practiced can be said to be "Abrahamic" then that may have a certain accuracy. Islam developed from the Arabic moon-god cult (which is why the crescent moon is still ubiquitous in Islamic decoration). As mark said, what eventually (after a LONG long process) developed into Christianity, with the trinity, and with Jesus being granted a divine status, is not "Abrahamic" in any way. They all makes claims to having Abrahamic origins. History has completely debunked that idea.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
25-07-2015, 05:20 PM
okay i see
25-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Quote:They hoped Jesus would defeat the Romans, but were disappointed when the Romans killed him.

Imagine how he felt!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
25-07-2015, 06:47 PM
(25-07-2015 06:05 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:They hoped Jesus would defeat the Romans, but were disappointed when the Romans killed him.

Imagine how he felt!

[Image: 25e87b497a4ce806956e00b6990d03b2.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
25-07-2015, 07:48 PM
I love this episode; required viewing for atheists.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, there's a very important conversation during the credits, with the doctor, at the 10:30 mark.

"He was real, I tell you. We got drunk together, we were gonna get some revenge on the freakin' Krebs."

"What? Have you never read the Book of Alvis? Alvis was himself a Kreb. Yes, it was the Romans who killed him. So, in truthful fact, I suppose you should be angry with the Italians."

"What kind of Mandu crap are you talking?"

"Yes, what do I know? My religion is only 5000 years old."

"Five thousand years of... of stupid!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-07-2015, 08:00 PM
(25-07-2015 07:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I love this episode; required viewing for atheists.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, there's a very important conversation during the credits, with the doctor, at the 10:30 mark.

"He was real, I tell you. We got drunk together, we were gonna get some revenge on the freakin' Krebs."

"What? Have you never read the Book of Alvis? Alvis was himself a Kreb. Yes, it was the Romans who killed him. So, in truthful fact, I suppose you should be angry with the Italians."

"What kind of Mandu crap are you talking?"

"Yes, what do I know? My religion is only 5000 years old."

"Five thousand years of... of stupid!"

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

That was pretty accurate, the commander was a pretty good proxy for Paul, hitting his head and seeing visions. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition