absolute morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2012, 12:09 PM
absolute morality
Hi! Today I stumbled upon this site today: http://www.proofthatgodexists.org

One of the questions are if you believe in absolute morality or not. To support their view that it does exist they chose the following example:
"Molesting children for fun is/is not absolutely morally wrong."

I agree that molesting children is not absolutely morally wrong if it would for example save all humanity, but given that the purpose is pleasure, how would you defend that child molestation is not absolutely morally wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2012, 12:51 PM
RE: absolute morality
That’s because you where tricked into the question in the first place.

It’s a "Hercules and the turtle" fallacy. It’s not because that there are things who are absolute, that EVERYTHING is absolute. In a shades of gray world you still have very dark gray and bright white.

Asking a question like that and demanding a yes or no answer to it is false dichotomy!
Welcome to TTA btw...

have an insightful stay

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 4 users Like Observer's post
21-01-2012, 01:00 PM
It depends what we mean by "absolute." Unbending Christian absolutism and totally arbitrary relativism are not the only choices. I don't think there is an external metaphysical moral order to which moral statements refer. In this sense, morality is subjective; we have to invent it, not discover it. However, this doesn't mean all ethical judgments are equally valid and justified.

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
[+] 1 user Likes Valdyr's post
21-01-2012, 01:10 PM
WTF? This thing shot me to some Disney sight. Huh

Pussys. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
22-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Took a look at that site.
Talk about false dichotomy!

Nice proof that most religious shit is mainly bias...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-01-2012, 05:57 AM
I clicked right through to the end. They don't prove anything. Even if you play along and agree with them all the way up until: No I don't believe in god. They say something about the bible saying they don't need to prove anything because god is so obvious. Then they tell me to stop running from god.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
22-01-2012, 07:24 AM
(22-01-2012 05:57 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  They say something about the bible saying they don't need to prove anything because god is so obvious.

Obvious God is obvious.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-01-2012, 07:37 AM
(21-01-2012 12:51 PM)The_observer Wrote:  That’s because you where tricked into the question in the first place.

It’s a "Hercules and the turtle" fallacy. It’s not because that there are things who are absolute, that EVERYTHING is absolute. In a shades of gray world you still have very dark gray and bright white.

Asking a question like that and demanding a yes or no answer to it is false dichotomy!
Welcome to TTA btw...

have an insightful stay

I'm not sure I follow. Would the existance of absolute morality mean that there is an absolute right/wrong answer to everything? Or just to some specific cases like the one I mentioned?
22-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Absolute morale. Well, I lost my faith in that test as soon there was this question about child molesting.

Oh, and if there really are these "absolute morals", I think we can't find them in the Bible. The question about this child molesting is funny, when the God is everything else but a good person. Like, is it really okey to kill all the humanity because you just lose your faith in it? Because a good God should be an example for us humans, but God's example is everything other than good. Jesus was the same God who tortured a lot of humans according to the Holy Bedstory. So, I might say none of the God's person's is actually an example.
22-01-2012, 08:17 AM
(21-01-2012 12:09 PM)ohhaimark Wrote:  how would you defend that child molestation is not absolutely morally wrong?

If you're going to have arguments over words, you're going to need precision. One dictionary definition of molest is 1.to bother, interfere with, or annoy. I do this regularly to my children, for their benefit, and it is often fun. I defend it as moral on that basis.

If your question was something else, restate it.