"activist" stating BLM movement is peaceful sentenced to 8 years in prison

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2015, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2015 08:03 AM by epronovost.)
RE: "activist" stating BLM movement is peaceful sentenced to 8 years in prison
I see a bit of western high middle class 21st century sensibility here. I have yet to see any movement for emancipation, equality and fight against structural oppression that didn't had a violent fringe, violent members with lengthy criminal records and/or violent rhetoric from time to time. I haven't heard either of any movement that managed to succeed without using a little bit of violence here and there to keep itself relevant in the public eye (too much though and it looses it even faster). Elites don't surrender their power unless they feel at least a little bit threaten. This is a sad reality of our common history. They will blame the victim, find excuse for their situation and behavior and simply weather the storm. While I do not condone violence and criminal behaviors, I can forgive it a lot more easily in those circumstances. Let him go to jail (which he deserves), serve his time and return to a society, that, perhaps a little bit because of him will be more just. That's a second layer of irony, a violent criminal might have helped us build a less violent and oppressive society.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
19-12-2015, 08:06 AM
(18-12-2015 03:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  God I am so out of touch. When I saw the thread title I thought whose cows are the BLM trying to confiscate now? Weeping

Me too. I was wondering how the Bureau of Land Management became a movement. Blink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
19-12-2015, 08:28 AM
The purpose of the movement is to sway the opinions of people. People are irrational, and are swayed heavily by emotional reaction and social identification. If people representing a group act in a manner in contradiction to that group's stated ideals, then the integrity of that group is compromised. Rational or not, that's just how it is.

'Murican Canadian
19-12-2015, 08:32 AM
"It ain't robbery, your honor -- it's EXTREME SHOPPING!!!"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-12-2015, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2015 10:57 AM by Full Circle.)
(19-12-2015 08:28 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The purpose of the movement is to sway the opinions of people. People are irrational, and are swayed heavily by emotional reaction and social identification. If people representing a group act in a manner in contradiction to that group's stated ideals, then the integrity of that group is compromised. Rational or not, that's just how it is.

Yup. There are studies showing that going against the herd and being socially excluded generated brain activity in the anterior cingulated cortex and insula, both of which are also activated by real physical pain.

Other tests* show that individuals will conform to Groupthink and will stop using their cognitive powers when faced with herd mentality and, as you point out, social identification.

*S. Asch, “Effects of Group Pressure upon the Modification and Distortion of Judgement’, in Groups, Leadership and Men, ed. H. Guetzkow (1951).

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-12-2015, 09:13 AM
He's obviously been framed.

Someone else dressed in his conspicuous clothing and pretending to be him to discredit him.

CCTV is a white man's invention therefore on CCTV footage, all black men look the same.

Angel

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post