advice about my 5yr Old

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 12:57 PM
advice about my 5yr Old
My son is 5 yrs old and currently isnt living with me because of personal mental issues with myself, but I still have my rights just not managing conservatory. The issue is that the schools in this area have all recently started this rule that if their conselor or who ever it is says that your child needs psychiatric meds , you have to comply or they threaten to call child protective services... Well apparently he has ADHD and they prescribed him with liquid Quillivant XR; which is the same as Ritalin; methylphenidate. Pretty much the same thing just different dosage and name. In my opinion, he's just frustrated because of conditions at home. 4 other kids around his age in the home, everything I but him gets broken by other kids, he never has time with his parental unit because of work, to tired, always with a baby sitter which varies I'm who's available, she hardly contact's me and keeps visits short and he always wants to stay but she won't allow it. Its been almost 2 and half months since our last visit and she deleted me from Facebook & hasn't bothered to contact me. I informed her I had school clothes for him before school even started and she hasn't even bothered to come get them. This last visit , he called her Moma Mimi like usual when we are all I'm the same room together to let is know which momma he's refering to and she got I'm to him about it and told him not to call her that, it's momma. She only stayed an hour and kept making excuses and blowing me off then just completely broke contact til I contacted her today. That's when she tells me about the meds. Apparently he would listen all the time, caught with the teachers , said hateful things and cused at them. The year he started, they put him and his favorite cousin in the class together and they acted up occasionally like normal kids to but were fine for the most part. This year they split them up.

In your honest opinion, do you think it's lack of companionship, loneliness & mixed with the living situation thats causing him to act out?
And do you think it's right or even legal for parents to be threatened into putting their kids on life altering meds by the schools? Should parents have a say or at least a chance to try something different before resulting to meds? I'd understand if was vaccines or antibiotics for serious illness but chemical imbalance alterers? Which the meds they gave him is basicly synthetic meth and has been classified as an addictive and abused drug and also can result I'm appetite loss, weight loss, aggitation and future drug addicts as he gets that age. This could cause him to have a chemical dependency when he's older. It basicly has the same effect as meth and the same side effects. Just in a pill or liquid. I live in Texas, there's gotta be something I can do to change the schools "new" policy.

-lost amongst the stars;
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 02:00 PM
RE: advice about my 5yr Old
Anybody? I just need advice about what to do about the schools inforcing this or how to find out if this is true or legal? And how to get it to stop because my child isn't the only one involved. It seems now days a kid can't even have a fit because they are tired without someone trying to shove a pill down their throat.

-lost amongst the stars;
03-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Call a lawyer.
03-10-2015, 02:13 PM
I don't know the first thing about diagnosing ADHD unfortunately...pretty shitty situation, I really hope you can get it sorted.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
03-10-2015, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 02:26 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Only a medical doctor or child physiatrist (who also has a MD) can diagnose and prescribe medications. A physicians assistant or nurse prestitioner....but it can't be done all willynilly.

A school counselor can suggest testing as can teachers or other staff. They can do the testing themselves but generally it's not considered a medical diagnosis. To get a medical diagnosis, a child psych or doctor must be involved. Only they can write a script for drugs.

Each state has their own special education guidelines published in a booklet and given to parents, it lays out exactly what your rights are as a parent. I suggest a trip to the school and ask for one.

No one here can diagnose your child or speculate as to if he has ADHD, spectrum for autism or just having temporary troubles.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-10-2015, 02:33 PM
(03-10-2015 02:00 PM)lost.amongstthestars Wrote:  Anybody? I just need advice about what to do about the schools inforcing this or how to find out if this is true or legal? And how to get it to stop because my child isn't the only one involved. It seems now days a kid can't even have a fit because they are tired without someone trying to shove a pill down their throat.

Just because someone is prescribed meds doesn't mean they can be forced to take them unless they are in a custody situation - as in institutionalized or a parent giving a med to their child.

I can't imagine that a school being able to force meds on a kid though I can see them being frustrated if the meds are needed and not being taken and they are the ones dealing with the result.

It sounds like some medical testing and counseling are in order to figure out what's going on and then a solution can be found. Jumping on a perceived threat by the school isn't the place to start. The place to start is to find out is going on with your son.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-10-2015, 03:17 PM
The thing thats the main issue is the school threatened to call CPS which apparently scared her, considering our CPS system is so twisted and will take their word over anyone without any proof, so she went with it. And in this town, any doctor can prescribe anything with out so much as writing on piece of paper. All it takes is a phone call around here to make anything happen if your "an outstanding citizen". You can tell a psychiatrist that you lost your fish and are upset that day and all of a sudden you suffer from PTSD (slight exaggaration ) . It may sound unbelievable and unlike the justice system but they do what they want, how they want , especially if they have the power or contact's. I need to go beyond this city , and make a change for everyone else. They dope these kids up so they dont have to deal With them .

-lost amongst the stars;
03-10-2015, 03:17 PM
There were no tests done or evalutions, it was just made to happen.

-lost amongst the stars;
03-10-2015, 03:27 PM
If you decide not to pay for school pictures because you want to wait for the next, they ask questions. Especially if your considered middle class or lower. If a colored child goes to school in a new pair of shoes more than twice that year, their parents are automatically traffiking drugs. No one likes these schools unless they font pay attention. Our grade schools don't look good on higher jobs and the only colleges you can qualify for are the 2yr local schools and you better do extrodanary to get excepted into a full course school, and still pay out the ass for almost nothing. Just as simple as this : OUR SCHOOLS NEED NEW LEADERS. Anyone can be a teachers aid now days,

-lost amongst the stars;
03-10-2015, 03:34 PM
(03-10-2015 03:17 PM)lost.amongstthestars Wrote:  The thing thats the main issue is the school threatened to call CPS which apparently scared her, considering our CPS system is so twisted and will take their word over anyone without any proof, so she went with it. And in this town, any doctor can prescribe anything with out so much as writing on piece of paper. All it takes is a phone call around here to make anything happen if your "an outstanding citizen". You can tell a psychiatrist that you lost your fish and are upset that day and all of a sudden you suffer from PTSD (slight exaggaration ) . It may sound unbelievable and unlike the justice system but they do what they want, how they want , especially if they have the power or contact's. I need to go beyond this city , and make a change for everyone else. They dope these kids up so they dont have to deal With them .

Scared who? I thought this was about your son that's what you wrote in the op.

I don't know what kind of answers your looking for.special education has strict guidelines because they're a federally protected class. All children in special education fall under the Americans with Disiblities Act.

Parents of all children have specific rights guaranteed by the Federal Law.

All school districts (or private schools) are required to have parental rights disclosed in a booklet that tells you exactly what the rights are. What they can legally do and what your options are as a parent.

That's all there is.

If you need more help, I would suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in special education services.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces