afraid of becoming "that one atheist guy" at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2015, 05:28 PM
RE: afraid of becoming "that one atheist guy" at work
(05-01-2015 05:00 PM)cactus Wrote:  Yeah, I'm planning on leaving, SOON. I've stayed here more than enough already, like a year and a half, and it sucks more and more every day.
Atlanta would be nice. It's kind of the only "real" city in the southeast, and everyone I've met there seems nice. (I haven't ventured into the scary "hide your wallet" parts of the city yet, though. lol)

I am just outside of Charlotte- overall its not bad - religion wise, lots of big places to work for- cheap living, easy commute.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Re: afraid of becoming "that one atheist guy" at work
That's why at work I do my best not to socialize with coworkers. It invariably ends up about God or something like that. I specifically tell people that I will refuse social media connections with coworkers.

And BnA, might be in your area again around June. Usually there every year or so.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
05-01-2015, 06:49 PM
(04-01-2015 10:40 PM)Kitty Galore Wrote:  Ugh. I can't even imagine what you are going through. First of all I feel it is kind of a hostile environment. Fit in, do what we do, maybe we will accept you. WTF? I am sorry man, that sucks. I wish I had something better to say, but the first thing that came to mind is that it's time to find a new job. I don't know if that's an option, or if it would just be the same somewhere else. I have the luxury of living in a more liberal place and have never lived in a highly religious area. I am thankful for that. Since I have no experience with that problem, I can't give any suggestions. I just want to show you support. I had one job where I felt uncomfortable and not part of the group, I got depressed. One was a fantastic job with great pay, benefits, and more. I left the job in 6 months.

Hugs to you.Heart

Yeah, I'm with you on this one.

I worked in North Florida for a year or so, in the Baptist heartlands. It was oppressive. And when they're in the majority, standing up for what you think isn't really a practical option - you'd have to be prepared to die in a ditch (figuratively, one hopes).

I know, wild generalisations, and I found that once people heard my English accent, I found new friends (mainly African Americans and Catholics, for some reason unknown to me).

But I think this one sucks. I say do what you got to do.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
05-01-2015, 06:53 PM
SC was full of workplace religion. Needing a paycheck meant lots of eyerolls and dealing with it.

I don't deal with it here in Dallas like I did in SC.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-01-2015, 07:03 PM
(05-01-2015 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  SC was full of workplace religion. Needing a paycheck meant lots of eyerolls and dealing with it.

most urban areas and large employers won't have problems. But small offices with just a handful of people have a huge potential to be full of religious folks who don't want to keep out of your business.....I think thats pretty much true for the majority of the bible belt. But just an opinion.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-01-2015, 07:07 PM
(05-01-2015 07:03 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  SC was full of workplace religion. Needing a paycheck meant lots of eyerolls and dealing with it.

most urban areas and large employers won't have problems. But small offices with just a handful of people have a huge potential to be full of religious folks who don't want to keep out of your business.....I think thats pretty much true for the majority of the bible belt. But just an opinion.

Um, yeah, but I was working in the Columbia area...the state capital and all. Not exactly BuFu.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Get a job at a public university. There you can actually discriminate against the religious. Thumbsup

Kidding of course, sort of.