[Show Results]

afterlife or oblivion ?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
24-03-2016, 06:53 AM
RE: afterlife or oblivion ?
Valhalla and Fólkvangr Yes

[Image: 1280px-Walhall_by_Emil_Doepler.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-03-2016, 07:08 AM
(23-03-2016 08:43 PM)Leo Wrote:  What do you think happens at death ? Some form of afterlife or oblivion ? I guess most members will vote for oblivion. Reincarnation ? Resurrection ? a ghost ? etc

Do I get a choice?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
24-03-2016, 07:14 AM
(23-03-2016 08:43 PM)Leo Wrote:  What do you think happens at death ? Some form of afterlife or oblivion ? I guess most members will vote for oblivion. Reincarnation ? Resurrection ? a ghost ? etc

Nothing. Life after I die will be the same for me as it was 4 billion years ago. Nobody fears the death of a tree or cockroach. Nobody thinks about the pre life or afterlife of a bacteria.

Claims of gods or reincarnation are really nothing but inventions of human's imaginations done out of fear and narcissism or a combo of both. I know too much about the size and scope of the universe to think I am important to it.

NOTHING, that is what happens. At best we live on in the memories of those who survive us, but even then, this planet will die and so will all life on it. No, it is not sexy, but that is the reality. I think the more humans that accept that and face it, the better we can do to extend our finite ride, instead of murdering each other over old books.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
24-03-2016, 08:04 AM
(24-03-2016 06:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  Valhalla and Fólkvangr Yes

[Image: 1280px-Walhall_by_Emil_Doepler.jpg]

Witness MEEEE!!!!!!

[Image: mad-max-fury-road-qui-sont-reellement-le...ys-gif.gif]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
24-03-2016, 08:25 AM
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

Mark Twain

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-03-2016, 09:29 AM
(24-03-2016 08:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

Mark Twain

"The reports of my death are no longer greatly exaggerated."
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
24-03-2016, 10:33 AM
I chose "other." Those who have had their sins forgiven by faith in Christ will go to Paradise to await the resurrection of their bodies. Those who have not trusted Christ will go to Hades to await the resurrection of their bodies and their final judgment.

The resurrection of the saved will take place when Christ returns to earth to begin his thousand year reign. After the thousand years Satan's final rebellion will occur, followed the the destruction of the present earth and the creation of a new earth and a new heaven, where we live eternally.

After the destruction of the old earth the unsaved will be raised from the dead to face their final judgment, described in Revelation 20.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
24-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Soon the Great Old One, bringer of pain, devoirer of souls shale rise. His rain will have no end the oceans shale turn to blood in his wake. Many will beg for mercy but none shale come. Final Judgement shale come for all and it will be in the former of eternal torture. His eventual return will be brought upon all the houses, of the world for the signs are ever present.

Only those devout Ancient Ones will find peace in the unending chaos. Peace in knowing those that doubted them will find none. Peace in seeing the flesh of the weak ripped from the bodies as the Elder Gods bring cosmic judgement on those that stand under heal.

Take heed for the time is upon us. Take heed for Cthulhu will soon transcend his cosmic chains and give rise to the Horror that this exsistance has brought upon it's self. The earth shale end just as described in Letter 617 in the Selected Letters.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
24-03-2016, 11:03 AM
(24-03-2016 10:55 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Soon the Great Old One, bringer of pain, devoirer of souls shale rise. His rain will have no end the oceans shale turn to blood in his wake. Many will beg for mercy but none shale come. Final Judgement shale come for all and it will be in the former of eternal torture. His eventual return will be brought upon all the houses, of the world for the signs are ever present.

Only those devout Ancient Ones will find peace in the unending chaos. Peace in knowing those that doubted them will find none. Peace in seeing the flesh of the weak ripped from the bodies as the Elder Gods bring cosmic judgement on those that stand under heal.

Take heed for the time is upon us. Take heed for Cthulhu will soon transcend his cosmic chains and give rise to the Horror that this exsistance has brought upon it's self. The earth shale end just as described in Letter 617 in the Selected Letters.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Remember kids: "On Judgement Day may Great Cthulhu eat you Last!"

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
24-03-2016, 11:11 AM
(24-03-2016 10:33 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I chose "other." Those who have had their sins forgiven by faith in Christ will go to Paradise to await the resurrection of their bodies. Those who have not trusted Christ will go to Hades to await the resurrection of their bodies and their final judgment.

The resurrection of the saved will take place when Christ returns to earth to begin his thousand year reign. After the thousand years Satan's final rebellion will occur, followed the the destruction of the present earth and the creation of a new earth and a new heaven, where we live eternally.

After the destruction of the old earth the unsaved will be raised from the dead to face their final judgment, described in Revelation 20.

Nice fictional story there, Theo. Needs some dragons and vampires though. There is not even one reason an intelligent person would buy into any of your scenario.
Not one. What body are you even talking about ? It changes every nano second. How do you "go to" somewhere, when space time is not there ? How is that not meaningless ? Why do people in a timeless environment have to "wait" for anything ? How is that not meaningless ?

There were hundreds of "Books of Revelation". It was quite the fad there, for a while. Of course all that nonsense is totally non-Biblical. For most of their history, the Jews didn't buy any of that stuff. Sheol was not heaven. Paul thought only the saved were immortal. You, Theoplilus, can't even tell us when or why "immortality" arose as a concept in the history of your cult.

In fact, even the resurrection, when examined by the best Christian scholars, looks very different, when the Greek is translated correctly, and put in context of Jewish apocalypticism.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look
(See "The Trouble With Resurrection", by Christian seminary professor, Dr. B.B. Scott.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post