alpha male's beliefs concerning the age of the Earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 01:51 PM
RE: alpha male's beliefs concerning the age of the Earth
(05-01-2014 01:30 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  It is just a kindness - how people continue to try and have legitimate discussions with Alphapup. Speaks of tenacity or a willingness for specializing in working with the intellectually unavailable.

1) He's a human.
2) Someone can talk him out of his delusion easier than me out of my Gwynnies. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 02:08 PM
(05-01-2014 01:51 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 01:30 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  It is just a kindness - how people continue to try and have legitimate discussions with Alphapup. Speaks of tenacity or a willingness for specializing in working with the intellectually unavailable.

1) He's a human.
2) Someone can talk him out of his delusion easier than me out of my Gwynnies. Angel

Yes, I believe most here seem resigned that your Gwynnieness is life-long but true to your soul. Which actually holds more meaning that xtian posers who don't really believe what they believe; nor do they analyze their beliefs.

And if/when they *do* try to analyze their beliefs there comes a stopping point (called rational thinking) - a wall of sorts that stops them fast.
Few knock that wall down. Fewer still bore through the wall......and fewer still are smart enough to simply climb OVER that dumb wall and get on with their lives.

meanwhile......... your choice to worship Gwynneth continues to shine as an example to one and all of just how crazy worship *can* be. It's a gift I tell you - a gift to mankind your Gynneth worship.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
05-01-2014, 02:48 PM
(05-01-2014 12:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  How old do you [alpha male] think our planet is?

Thanks. You created the thread I was thinking about making this morning.

(05-01-2014 01:35 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Alpha - if you can believe that the earth is 10,000-20,000 yrs old, what do you think about the belief that the entire universe is created every day I awaken from sleep or loss of consciousness and destroyed every time I lose consciousness ?

I'm not Alpha, but I think that belief is stupid. We all know the universe was created last Thursday, as well as any "memory" we have of events prior.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-01-2014, 04:50 PM
(05-01-2014 01:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Is the Bible the one and only reason why you believe this?
No. I used to accept the standard line, and continued to do so for awhile after becoming a Christian. Christianity exposed me to different views and arguments which I found at least as compelling.
05-01-2014, 05:29 PM
(05-01-2014 04:50 PM)alpha male Wrote:  No. I used to accept the standard line, and continued to do so for awhile after becoming a Christian. Christianity exposed me to different views and arguments which I found at least as compelling.
Well, what are the other reasons?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM
(05-01-2014 04:50 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 01:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Is the Bible the one and only reason why you believe this?
No. I used to accept the standard line, and continued to do so for awhile after becoming a Christian. Christianity exposed me to different views and arguments which I found at least as compelling.

Are these different views and arguments contingent on believing the Bible?
05-01-2014, 09:21 PM
(05-01-2014 01:10 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I dunno, 10,000 - 20,000 years or so. Hard to say. I've seen (and made myself) Biblical arguments that allow for a much older earth, but I lean toward a younger earth.

OK, how do you reconcile that with:
  • A universe that's 13.7 billion light-years across
  • Multiple radiometric ages for the Earth and the Solar System of 4.5 Ga
  • Continental Drift
  • Sudbury, Vredefort and other massive impact structures
  • Large Igneous Provinces
  • The entire fossil record
  • The absence of all medium- and short-lived radionuclides from the planet except for cosmogenic nuclides.
  • Lack of "hot" waste at the Oklo natural reactors
Please excuse this list for not being comprehensive but I'm doing this off the cuff. I figure that ought to be a decent start.
05-01-2014, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 10:12 PM by WillHopp.)
Alpha,

Do you believe there are stars we can see that are 50,000 light years away?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 01:24 AM
(05-01-2014 09:21 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  OK, how do you reconcile that with:
BTW, the list function is cute, but annoying to respond to.
Quote:[*]A universe that's 13.7 billion light-years across
What's to reconcile?
Quote:[*]Multiple radiometric ages for the Earth and the Solar System of 4.5 Ga
I don't trust radiometric dating. There are too many unprovable assumptions involved. The primary assumption of unchanging decay rates is now in doubt.
Quote:[*]Continental Drift
What's to reconcile?

Seems like enough to start with.
06-01-2014, 01:25 AM
(05-01-2014 09:41 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Alpha,

Do you believe there are stars we can see that are 50,000 light years away?
Yes. Unless you're going somewhere new with this, this is about the dumbest argument going.