alpha male's beliefs concerning the age of the Earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: alpha male's beliefs concerning the age of the Earth
Abiogenesis is a label for a variety of actual or potential explanations. I would go reluctantly with alpha male on this one. It isn't currently a falsifiable hypothesis, nor is it a falsifiable system of hypotheses. That said, it seems certain enough that life did come from non-life. The only question being - by which mechanism did it come?

Of course alpha male's proposed mechanism that involves humans being created from dust and ribs is both falsifiable and falsified through an understanding of evolution and through genetic analysis.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 11:59 AM
(06-01-2014 11:52 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I would go reluctantly with alpha male on this one.

Ohmy

I reserved the right to use that against you in future debate. Angel

(06-01-2014 11:52 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  The only question being - by which mechanism did it come?

Geometry. I have faith. Thumbsup

(One time I even had citations, but I could never find them again. Sadcryface2 )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 01:20 PM
(06-01-2014 11:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  Of course, once you assume magic, science goes right out the window.

The only problem with that is science works. Your magical thinking is just silly.

Chas, shame on you and your silly materialist bias. It's a potential source of error, don't you know?
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-01-2014, 01:37 PM
"A god capable of creating a universe could create stars with light streams already in place." ...

And you called my argument dumb? Sure, he could, but why create the illusion? How can you not see how ridiculous your statement is?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-01-2014, 02:05 PM
(06-01-2014 01:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  "A god capable of creating a universe could create stars with light streams already in place." ...

And you called my argument dumb? Sure, he could, but why create the illusion? How can you not see how ridiculous your statement is?

But you can't prove it wrong! It just seems ridiculous because of your materialist bias!
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-01-2014, 02:07 PM
(06-01-2014 02:05 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 01:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  "A god capable of creating a universe could create stars with light streams already in place." ...

But you can't prove it wrong! It just seems ridiculous because of your materialist bias!

It can be proven wrong with chains of causality. (At least, very unlikely.)

But yes, I have a materialist bias. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
06-01-2014, 02:44 PM

And you called my argument dumb?
Yes, it's dumb.
Quote:Sure, he could, but why create the illusion?
What illusion? The purpose is given - "to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth.” No need to go through the charade of creating them then waiting.
06-01-2014, 02:46 PM
(06-01-2014 01:20 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Chas, shame on you and your silly materialist bias. It's a potential source of error, don't you know?
Looks like I struck a nerve. Angel
06-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Given the criteria laid out by Alpha and Robby's materialist bias defense, then there is no argument to be had on any level for any topic when you insert the omniscience and omnipotence, so why have this forum or any debate ever?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-01-2014, 02:58 PM
(06-01-2014 02:46 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 01:20 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Chas, shame on you and your silly materialist bias. It's a potential source of error, don't you know?
Looks like I struck a nerve. Angel

You made the most ridiculous statement and refuse to stand by it or redact it.

You said it in the Luke thread, then refused to respond to it because it was a "red herring".

So I made a special thread just for the topic, in which you haven't responded to the OP. You instead responded to it in context of the Luke thread, but not to the absurdity of the concept of "materialist bias" itself. When I pointed back to it, you called it a strawman.

You're basically saying crazy things, then refusing to defend them because they're "off topic" in their own fucking thread.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post