#alternativefacts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2017, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2017 01:44 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: #alternativefacts
(23-01-2017 09:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't know how accurate his claims here are, but it does help clarify Kellyanne's use of the term "alternative facts".

I see you conceded the points Impulse made, good to see.

Anyway in the world I live in there are facts and then there’s everything else. Alternative facts ™ do not exist nor do they replace or take the place of the actual facts.

Your forum name is Tomasia = fact
Your forum name is Aisamot = false, not true, falsehood, error, mistake, wrong, lie

You can spin it by calling it a quasi-fact, almost true, a different perspective or alternative fact ™ but we all know that’s bullshit.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
23-01-2017, 02:03 PM
(23-01-2017 12:33 PM)Impulse Wrote:  The Washington Post has the text of the interview. Conway went off on major tangents twice before Todd finally cornered her into claiming it was "alternative facts". He had to point out 3 times that she had not answered the question before she finally made an attempt to answer it with the "alternative facts" remark. She was clearly avoiding the question. Where in that text does it show her suggesting it wasn't a provable falsehood or that it's Todd's opinion? And of course Todd kept proceeding like it's a provable falsehood - because it is!
And good for Chuck Todd. I hope more and more of our journalists grow a spine and are billing to call out BS.

In fact this isn't really just BS, it goes beyond that. In search of a suitable term, an opinion piece I read a couple of days ago borrowed from the rap music world, the term, "fuckery". The appropriate response to fuckery is not to even dignify it with fact checking, but to mock it. Because in a fact-free environment, with people who are willing to accept so-called "alternative facts", all you can do is reduce their perceived legitimacy through creative derision.

This is using social pressure for what it's best at, which is to ostracize and marginalize bad behavior. Sure you can prove that Spicer was wrong about the Trump inauguration being the first time the grass covers were used, or argue about the time of the photos or the capacity of various parts of the mall. But that is just willingly entering into his funhouse hall of mirrors, and lends him legitimacy. Mocking him as the idiot that he is, on the other hand, denies him his platform and his faux dignity.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
23-01-2017, 02:08 PM
(22-01-2017 06:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's getting weary around here and it's going to be a long fucking four years.

You're not the only one.

America this, America that. YOU MUST BEHAVE LIKE AN AMERICAN! Look at our president. We must be great, Da?

We are # 1. forget the 163 trillion we owe China.

America world police.

All posting MUST be about America.

Really?

This is good? Even great???

[Image: CnvETX2WAAAs7wr-500x333.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
23-01-2017, 02:10 PM
(23-01-2017 01:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 09:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't know how accurate his claims here are, but it does help clarify Kellyanne's use of the term "alternative facts".

I see you conceded the points Impulse made, good to see.

Anyway in the world I live in there are facts and then there’s everything else. Alternative facts ™ do not exist nor do they replace or take the place of the actual facts.

Your forum name is Tomasia = fact
Your forum name is Aisamot = false, not true, falsehood, error, mistake, wrong, lie

You can spin it by calling it a quasi-fact, almost true or alternative fact ™ but we all know that's bullshit.

I still hold that by alternative facts here, she was implying a another set of facts in support of a contrary position. In this regards the facts used to measure the crowd size. Such as one party gauging the crowd size by pictures from the Washington monument area, and another gauging the crowd size by the number of riders of the metro, and getting a different estimate as a result of competing metrics.

I'm only conceding because the alternative facts indicated by the press secretary, such as the pictures being taken at different times, and the numbers given for the metro riders, was false, and misleading.

I don't see any issue with the term, just with distorted competing data that was being offered.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-01-2017, 02:11 PM
(23-01-2017 02:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 06:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's getting weary around here and it's going to be a long fucking four years.

You're not the only one.

America this, America that. YOU MUST BEHAVE LIKE AN AMERICAN! Look at our president. We must be great, Da?

America world police.

Really?

Also Trump declared a "National Day of Patriotism". So we have that now, because the 4th of July or Thanksgiving weren't enough. I looked it up, it's not a federal holiday. Sad

23-01-2017, 02:14 PM
(23-01-2017 08:06 AM)Vera Wrote:  [Image: CyV0O0EXUAAJypf.jpg:large]

Though in the case of that orange toad and his mindless toadies, I’m not even sure they actually believe it, more like, they really, really want it to be true, so it must be. Basically, they’re wishing on a (particularly crappy reality) star. Hardly surprising, given that they appear to possess all the maturity and thinking skills of a rather dim-witted ten-year-old (and I do apologise to ten-year-olds everywhere. Especially since they';re the ones who'll have to live in a world fucked up even more by this environmentally (among so many other things) irresponsible POS)

#alternativefacts have led to some hilarious posts, though...

[Image: 33xg4uw.jpg]

Spicer has become an overnight twitter meme.

[Image: promo309348745.jpg]

[Image: spicer-facts-trolls-759.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-01-2017, 02:14 PM
(23-01-2017 02:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

You're not the only one.

America world police.

Really?

Maybe instead of bitching about American threads you start some about Australia? When Brexit was happening there was a lively debate about it. Be the change you want.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-01-2017, 02:15 PM
(23-01-2017 02:14 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 02:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  You're not the only one.

America world police.

Really?

Maybe instead of bitching about American threads you start some about Australia? When Brexit was happening there was a lively debate about it. Be the change you want.

You want to read boring shit about Australia?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
23-01-2017, 02:17 PM
(23-01-2017 02:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 02:14 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Maybe instead of bitching about American threads you start some about Australia? When Brexit was happening there was a lively debate about it. Be the change you want.

You want to read boring shit about Australia?

Not the boring shit but there has to be something going on that would merit international discussion. How about how you treat immigrants?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-01-2017, 02:21 PM
(23-01-2017 02:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Not the boring shit but there has to be something going on that would merit international discussion. How about how you treat immigrants?

Mate I don't consider everything happening in this country world news.

That's the American way.

WORLD NEWS.

"Someone in Iowa farted."

Wow.

Banjo.