am I a nilist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 06:23 PM
am I a nilist
I have always thought that the following question was a loaded one.... what is the meaning to life... It has always struck me that the person asking is always asking one person to pick a meaning/ultimate goal for every other sentient being in existence.... so my thoughts on this is.. it's a personal question... meaning the best definition to the meaning of life is.. {add definition here}.... I am guessing though that means I know there is no real answer thus I am a nihlist... what do you think.. btw why would anyone want there to be a ultimate goal independent of your own will... the hole thing just sounds cultish to me.....

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2015, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 02:46 AM by Siz.)
RE: am I a nilist
I am a nihilist. There is, of course, no meaning to life. It matters not a jot if I or the human species exists or not. There is no inherrent value in life: mine, my children's, yours, some wretched refugee, or the fatally stupid giant panda. Life is not precious. It is an irrelevant, pustulent pimple on the universe. Yes, let it live if it so chooses. Let it soil the planets if it takes pleasure from doing so. At the end of the day humanity is a giant panda - too stupid to survive and prosper. And what will have been lost? Artwork, science and 'great' works of literature? Whatever!

The nihilist dilema suggests that were I a true nihilist I'd slump to the floor and die of thirst/hunger. So why don't I? Well, let me state my case:

1. I live under the assumption that what I perceive (sense) IS reality. That is pragmatism stripped to it's most naked state! Yes, I am an Objectivist... notionally if not practically.
2. There is no objective meaning within or for existence within a multi-/uni-versal context.
3. "Morality" and "existential meaning/purpose" are human/animal abstracts informed by organic firmware and social software.
4. I am limited by my human/animal programming.

As a human I am limited in my compulsions to act/not act DESPITE my beliefs/understanding. I believe that it really doesn't matter in a grander context if I breathe or eat or procreate or move, but I am programmed to do so. And I allow myself to do so without resistance because there are rewards for all of those things (or penalties for their neglect). Also, I have learned - apparently indelibly - emotional responses to the people and objects around me. But underlying is the KNOWLEDGE that it all amounts to nothing. I can't act on that knowledge (or remain inactive) because of the survival reflexes over which I have no control and the motivator of fear (fear of hurting loved-ones and fear of loss (of leaving the earthly party and missing out on rewards)). The human/animal compulsions are stronger than my rational brain.

I do not fear death. I do not mourn death. My shoulder is not sympathetic to the tears of those that mourn death for it is nought but self indulgence at another's expense.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
[+] 2 users Like Siz's post
27-09-2015, 02:49 AM
So you guys have joined the Knights that say "nihl"???

[Image: shrubbery.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-09-2015, 05:35 AM
Knights who say NI!Knights who say NI!Knights who say NI!Knights who say NI!Knights who say NI!Knights who say NI!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Ima dyspepsic nilist.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-09-2015, 10:07 AM
(27-09-2015 08:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ima dyspepsic nilist.

Dodgy

Yes, yes, that's it. I'm sure I must be one of those. I'm off to get diagnosed...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
[+] 1 user Likes Siz's post
27-09-2015, 06:32 PM
(26-09-2015 06:23 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  ... thus I am a nihlist... what do you think..

Been a nhilist for 3 decades now.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-09-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm a lamb curry. Here is a recent picture taken of me.

[Image: Lamb-Curry.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
27-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Philosophically, I suppose I'm a nihilist. But I recognize that I have biologically motivated reasons for existing. Building a life around those seems to work. I believe I have the potential to be content, possibly even happy, despite not believing anything really matters once you break it down to its most rational components.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-09-2015, 10:45 PM
(27-09-2015 10:26 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Philosophically, I suppose I'm a nihilist. But I recognize that I have biologically motivated reasons for existing. Building a life around those seems to work. I believe I have the potential to be content, possibly even happy, despite not believing anything really matters once you break it down to its most rational components.

You didn't evolve to seek meaning and pleasure in logic and reason, nor does your survival and procreation instincts depend of whether or not the universe at large gives a fuck about you; so I think you're good.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]