am i the only one

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2012, 04:05 PM
am i the only one
am i the only one that gets really pissed when they call evolution or atheism a religion
even when i explain science can not work on faith

or when creationists claim there is no evidence for evolution even after you linked them like 40 links to lists of peer review papers

and lastly when would you consider the debate won with such a dogmatic sheep

p.s. please let me know if its the wrong section

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dj-hato's post
17-11-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: am i the only one
No, you are not the only one. I think people like that can not perceive any concept without first filtering it through a belief. Belief has replaced their ability to think and faith has replace their curiosity.

Which is something I don't get; how can anyone not be curious? Blink It boggles my mind.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
17-11-2012, 05:27 PM
am i the only one
I'm not sure that many debates end with a win by either side. The best you can so is hope you're planting seeds of doubt that will trouble their minds enough to start questioning faith.

On the flip side, though, they are using the same hope: that they've planted seeds of the gospel in your heart that will one day bloom into eternal life.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I get pretty pissed at that.

However, it's not the "arguments" themselves that piss me off, it is the shear level of stupidity and ignorance that causes them..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
17-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I think for some people atheism is a religion. Okay, now shoot me, I know you want to.

For the more 'militant' types that go to groups, and try to convert/de-convert (depending on perspective) I would call atheism their religion. Me? I have no religion.

A piece from a paper I wrote...
Quote:According to dictionary.com’s first, and most in depth definition religion is “A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.” Atheists are concerned with the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, and though it does not include a belief in the creation of the universe by a superhuman agency or agencies, it is not a necessary requirement for a religion, as per this definition; the definition says it is especially considered a religion with these ideas, but it does not exclude non-belief in superhuman agencies. The next part of the definition concerns a set of ritual observances, and morals or values observed by a group or sect; However, the definition says that this is the usual case for religion, and again, not necessary. Even so, some Atheists do follow a strict moral code, and practice rituals. Some Unitarian Universalists are also Atheists, and attend weekly meetings and have discussion and certainly abide by a code of morality. Another movement within Atheism is called Atheism + (pronounced Atheism Plus). Some of them too hold meetings, have a specific moral code, and even have a religious agenda. They are charitable, have a deep interest in how politics affect their beliefs, and personal lives.

Evolution on the other hand is a scientific theory...

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Nah, I don't get pissed, I just gather that further rational discourse ain't gonna happen. ... Not that big a deal. I see it all the time.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Back when I was young and fresh in the world of debate; I was elated to hear such things because I knew they were so easily refuted.

Now, I just wanna hit somebody.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
18-11-2012, 03:36 AM
i like to think i won a argument when they say something like

"i dont care what so called evidence you show i refuse to accept it"
then i usually say
thank you for showing you willing stupidity

and i walk away

18-11-2012, 05:43 AM
(17-11-2012 04:05 PM)dj-hato Wrote:  am i the only one

Yeah. You are. I mean, we're all rational and logical, never letting our emotions run rampant. Never letting mythology increase our ire. Never initiating flights of fancy... like bigfoot... are you sure atheism is right for you? You might wanna think about agnosticism. Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-11-2012, 05:49 AM
You can never be sure of that HoC. Consider

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.