an atheist living in highly religious country

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 08:43 AM by tom_reality.)
an atheist living in highly religious country
Hi , I have been non religious for more than a decade , and in past 3 years became an atheist . unfortunately I am living in a highly religious country in the heart of middle east and as you know islam dominates middle east . in one hand government is completely running islamic codes strictly and on the other hand 98% of people themselves are muslims whos islams roots in their culture . here is where the problem starts , I have suffered for years living in such society . main is that I like to continue my study in university but islamic studies is a mandatory unit you have to pass ! how can I study something that I don't believe in ? they try in books to tell you islam is the best . second , I am about 30 years old and I havent had girlfriend and sex yet , just few times in a year with prostitutes !and most days masrurbating .. this is because of muslim ppl here think sex is taboo before marriage , and if you want to get married you should have a lot of money and bails and it has its own problem , how to marry a girl you don't even lived with for one day ?! so I tried to immigrate to a secular country in europe but I rejected even a tourist visa ! I am looking to immigrate to a country which I can study and work together and finally get permanent residence , currently I have not much money to invest somewhere . in most cases I need an invitation in order to get visa , I come here to ask if you or any organization here can provide me an invitation letter or any other advises so I can move on and come to those countries to start searching for my life .. I really tired of getting stuck somewhere I don't belong to , really
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tom_reality's post
25-02-2014, 08:28 PM
RE: an atheist living in highly religious country
Where did you apply and what country are you in? Immigration is a bit of a mine field. If you are studying you might be able to apply for a student visa and transition to residency that way.
[+] 1 user Likes Pippen's post
25-02-2014, 08:46 PM
If religion studies are mandatory just go for it. If you study islam very well it will be much easier to destroy it later.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
26-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Im in iran and applied for ttourst shengen visa to go and search for university and work while studying
26-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Last time I worked in a university I shared an office with an Iranian scientist who was also an atheist. He told me how he could no longer stand living in a Muslim country and just had to get out. From what I recall he wasn't actually being paid and the university were providing an excuse for him to be there whilst making use of him, but it of course wasn't a sustainable situation. I think he had a wife and children back in Iran and he was running out of options.

I remember him telling me how when he would come across other people from a similar region they would automatically assume that he would be regularly praying at a mosque. Religious people creeped him out.

I don't know what happened to him.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
26-02-2014, 06:15 AM
I was at a meeting yesterday and heard that University of Texas has a 55% acceptance rate, is a large school, etc. Also, check out some college admission forums for tips on how to work the visa process. There's one board I like in particular and it has a match tool on it to help you find the right school

college admission forum

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-02-2014, 07:09 AM
America is touchy toward middle easterners. Try China (or SE Asia)! If you've got a decent score on the IELTS or other English proficiency test, you could possibly get a job teaching English to kids or something. It's not always a guaranteed good company, but it might be better than where you're at now. I don't know anything about your background or if you're even interested in something like this, but it might be worth looking into.

It's easier to get a visa anywhere if you can job search for a company that will sponsor you. Just apply anywhere you can and if they're willing to hire you, they'll help you get the appropriate visa, too.
26-02-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 03:18 PM by Pippen.)
Ok, here are the figures for the top 10 countries Iranian emigrate to. Bloody suprised to see Israel on the list

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/i...ugees-home

United States 291,040
Canada 75,115
Germany 65,750
Sweden 53,982
Israel 51,300
United Kingdom 42,494
Netherlands 21,469
Australia 18,789
France 18,376
Armenia 15,999

Your English is very good so no doubt you would prefer an English speaking country but then I don't know what other languages you speak. I never had to apply for a Schengen visa but I know it is just for tourism or business so if you put on your application you intended to look for work then that may be the reason it was declined.

If you are studying anything Science or Technology based you are going to have a much easier time searching for work. You need to start looking at the skills shortages in the countries you are interested in and these should be listed on the countries immigration websites. It is highly unlikely a company will sponsor you for a visa if the role is not on the list. The have to prove that the job could not be filled by a citizen of that country. Another option could be to find a job at a large mulitnational company in Iran with an expatriation program but that could take years. Most companies only send senior execs or tech specific people on assignments due to the cost.

I know a fair few people who taught English to kids as Colourcraze mentioned. They had a blast. Thailand, Korea and Japan seem to be the most popular places for this. If you are studying Finance or the like Singapore could be a good option and apparently Malaysia's entry requirements are a bit easier to meet and the processing times look really quick.

You seriously need to consider if transferring your studies to another country is a good idea. The course criteria could be very different and different countries don't always recognise previous studies or the are not compatible. A Chinese friend of mine showed me her transcript of her Maths degree courses and it was huge. It included stuff like grenade throwing. No shit they are required to do that as part of their course.
[+] 1 user Likes Pippen's post
27-02-2014, 05:05 AM
(25-02-2014 05:30 PM)tom_reality Wrote:  Hi , I have been non religious for more than a decade , and in past 3 years became an atheist .... I really tired of getting stuck somewhere I don't belong to , really

Do not worry.. Same situation here in Pakistan..
Alas! There is no way, I can get out.. :/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Whatever contact you try to make with other atheists in a country like what you describe, just be very careful. There are many atheist orgs and sites that represent Arabs. Syrian Atheists, Iranian atheists, and and X Muslim websites. However you try to contact other atheists, please be as safe as you can.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post