an idea for dealing with the pledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2014, 08:52 AM
an idea for dealing with the pledge
I know you guys want those two words gone but instead of trying to remove it how about making it necessary that at the start of the year students have to listen to the history about the damn thing Consider

it may not get rid of it but it will deal a blow to the "America is a christian nation" nonsense and might stop conservatives from gaining momentum if the courts decide to keep those words

this will make it harder for people to defend the anti-Soviet inspired revision and people can see it for what it really is
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2014, 09:04 AM
RE: an idea for dealing with the pledge
I read on the FFRF site that some schools say a sort of "disclaimer" before the pledge in regards to freedoms, rights, etc and anyone who doesnt want to participate doesnt have to. I like that idea.

I have been trying to think of the correct wording when I write letters to my daughters schools.

I am in the bridge building phase with both Principals right now. Letting them see my face at volunteer stuff, making a point of saying hello etc.

I want a good relationship built before I drop the bomb.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-11-2014, 09:10 AM
(24-11-2014 09:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I read on the FFRF site that some schools say a sort of "disclaimer" before the pledge in regards to freedoms, rights, etc and anyone who doesnt want to participate doesnt have to. I like that idea.

so its a 'they have to let you get behind them before you can stab them' ?
24-11-2014, 09:18 AM
(24-11-2014 09:10 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 09:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I read on the FFRF site that some schools say a sort of "disclaimer" before the pledge in regards to freedoms, rights, etc and anyone who doesnt want to participate doesnt have to. I like that idea.

so its a 'they have to let you get behind them before you can stab them' ?

no. The schools are huge. 800+ kids in elementary. And typically they only hear from parents they arent familiar with until something isnt right, and usually those parents arent involved in the day to day stuff, they only show up when they want to bitch. They don't want to help improve things, just take shots at stuff they don't like.

then there are parents (like me) who are involved, who get to know the systems and inner workings and challenges and puts some sweat and work into making it a great place. We show up. We understand what the school has to do, vs what they want to do, vs what is possible. When the parents that are involved in improving the place start making suggestions, or complaints, they are taken with more weight and more seriously.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Oh there's lots of nonsense! Chas has said recently Canada isn't a Christian nation currently but Nazi Germany was. Nice double standard, if you ask me, which you didn't! Smile

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2014, 11:11 AM
(24-11-2014 11:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Oh there's lots of nonsense! Chas has said recently Canada isn't a Christian nation currently but Nazi Germany was. Nice double standard, if you ask me, which you didn't! Smile

who is chas ?
24-11-2014, 11:39 AM
(24-11-2014 11:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Oh there's lots of nonsense! Chas has said recently Canada isn't a Christian nation currently but Nazi Germany was. Nice double standard, if you ask me, which you didn't! Smile

No, I didn't. You are either stupid, a liar, or a stupid liar.

I stated that Canada's government is secular and the majority of Germans were Christians.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-11-2014, 11:39 AM
(24-11-2014 11:11 AM)Ace Wrote:  

who is chas ?

Me? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-11-2014, 11:53 AM
(24-11-2014 11:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 11:11 AM)Ace Wrote:  who is chas ?

Me? Consider

that answers that
24-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Whether it's the Pledge of Allegiance, or the Lord's Prayer, I'm generally against the ritualized repetition of oaths and creeds by young children who never have the words properly explained to them. Any public pledges or oaths to an authority, be it divine or secular, should be optional for young children.
[+] 8 users Like Mr. Boston's post