an idea for dealing with the pledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2014, 12:05 PM
RE: an idea for dealing with the pledge
I just say under god, but assume that everyone is talking about Odin.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2014, 12:37 PM
[Image: bellamy.jpg?w=690]
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
24-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Are USA kids forced to speak the pledge?
What happens if they don't?
24-11-2014, 12:46 PM
(24-11-2014 12:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Are USA kids forced to speak the pledge?
Not much, most kids just mumble through it anyway.
24-11-2014, 01:12 PM
(24-11-2014 12:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I just say under god, but assume that everyone is talking about Odin.

"the son of Odin shall have that cookie" - Thor

I swear cartoons do a better job of making gods more fun and worth our time

I really don't see the point in even having a pledge, is having gibberish repeatedly blathered out into the ether really that important for civilization to function properly ?
24-11-2014, 01:35 PM
(24-11-2014 12:46 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 12:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Are USA kids forced to speak the pledge?
Not much, most kids just mumble through it anyway.

forced isnt the word I would use, if the child didn't want to, they would probably be told to just sit quietly. There are a few dumb asses out there that try to force it, and usually the FFRF gets the lawyers involved and they stop. But what happens is no one ever tells the child that they don't have to do it. It becomes a normal part of the school routine from a very young age. You sit at your desk for the teacher to take roll, the morning announcements come over the loud speaker, at the end, the person says "everyone please stand for the pledge" everyone stands up, including the teacher and recites the pledge. when you are 5 in kindergarten and told by your teacher to stand up and say it, you do, because in every other area you really aren't allowed to buck against the teachers. you know, typical school.

I was raised "up north" PA, I think we said it when I was in elementary school (K-6) back in the 70's. I cant remember if we said it in middle, and by high school (1980's) if they said it, most people sat thru it. But honestly I don't remember.

My children are in SC schools. Its an everyday thing here. I've told both daughters that if they don't want to say it, they don't have to but neither want to make waves. They also say a school pledge and it covers things like being respectful to others, honor, etc. My oldest has "won" a raffle, the prize is "Principal for a day" at her middle school. I am trying to talk her into bringing the topic up with him, but she doesnt seem to be going for it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I volunteer at a local historical site and as part of the tour we talk about the pledge as it was originally written in 1892. I've lost count of the number of people who said that they had no idea that it has been revised multiple times and that the "under god" part was so recent.

Many have the impression that it was written along with the declaration and the constitution right at the start (probably by Moses if they are from Texas). I get some pleasure being able to point out that it didn't exist at all for the first 100 years or so and that "under god" didn't arrive for yet another 60+ years. Facts can be so damned inconvenient! Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
24-11-2014, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2014 03:52 PM by Full Circle.)
The hand written words of Francis Bellamy
[Image: bellamy-pledge-handwritten.jpg]

The hand written words of Matt Groening
[Image: life_in_hell-zappa.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-11-2014, 06:41 AM
The interesting thing is throughout my time in highschool or at social.. sporting or whatever events, I never had any person of authority ever say anything to me about not saying it. Most of high school I definitely didn't say anything during it clearly.

The only people I recall opposed to that were a couple kids once when I had a gym class 1st period and my brother wasn't fond of me standing with my hands behind my back once during a pledge or national anthem, I forget which.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-11-2014, 09:33 AM
(24-11-2014 11:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 11:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Oh there's lots of nonsense! Chas has said recently Canada isn't a Christian nation currently but Nazi Germany was. Nice double standard, if you ask me, which you didn't! Smile

No, I didn't. You are either stupid, a liar, or a stupid liar.

I stated that Canada's government is secular and the majority of Germans were Christians.

I repeat, was the Nazi GOVERNMENT Christian or secular?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user