an idea for dealing with the pledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2014, 04:55 PM
RE: an idea for dealing with the pledge
What do the Americans here imagine happen in schools in other countries? Do you imagine that every other country have their own pledge of allegiance? Do you think America is unique in this?

What I am interested in is how normal does it seem to you that American schools make it a part of the daily routine for their students to pledge allegiance to your country?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2014, 02:10 AM
(25-11-2014 04:55 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  What do the Americans here imagine happen in schools in other countries? Do you imagine that every other country have their own pledge of allegiance? Do you think America is unique in this?

What I am interested in is how normal does it seem to you that American schools make it a part of the daily routine for their students to pledge allegiance to your country?
a pledge to your country should be to your country and its people not some monotheistic deity
and no where in the history of the US does it say that the US is anything but a secular nation, so god has no place in the pledge for the simple reason that the nation is not founded on any religion

In its original form it read:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In 1923, the words, "the Flag of the United States of America" were added. At this time it read:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God," creating the 31-word pledge we say today. Bellamy's daughter objected to this alteration. Today it reads:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

the under god part is nothing more than anti-soviet propaganda that has no place today because the USSR doesn't EXIST ANYMORE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here's the pledge in my country

English version:

India is my country and all Indians are my brothers and sisters.
I love my country and I am proud of its rich and varied heritage.
I shall always strive to be worthy of it.
I shall give respect to my parents, teachers and all elders and treat everyone with courtesy.
To my country and my people, I pledge my devotion. In their well-being and prosperity alone lies my happiness.
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
26-11-2014, 03:41 AM
I oppose the Pledge of Allegiance in the United States, not only for it's Constitutionally violating "under God" bit, but because I don't think that your country of birth is something worthy of pledging allegiance to. Allegiances, much like respect, need to be earned; and getting children to recite this before the age of reason strikes me as a massive load of indoctrination and unfounded bullshit.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-11-2014, 04:27 AM
I went to a very strict school once as a child. There was Christian indoctrination every day during classes and a Christian assembly each morning. All the boys would be lined up after morning assembly and their hair was judged to determine whether it was too long or too short. If it was too short then the boy would be suspended until it grew back. Teachers used to regularly deliver corporal punishment. Even in 1994 it was one of the last 4 schools that still practised corporal punishment in the UK.

But even this school did not have a pledge of allegiance to the country.
26-11-2014, 06:44 AM
(26-11-2014 04:27 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  But even this school did not have a pledge of allegiance to the country.

Probably because they didn't want anything to stand between their students and Jesus, not even their own nationalism.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post