an ongoing interview

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
31-07-2015, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 12:20 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: an ongoing interview
(31-07-2015 09:17 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Are you going to be able to read her final report? I would like to hear her conclusions, or perhaps the other responses?

ooooh great question, I will ask Smile

Thumbsup

She said she would email it to me. The other guy was an atheist as well, but wasn't very.....good at substantiating his disbelief in myths...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2015, 11:48 AM
(31-07-2015 08:33 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 08:08 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Sigh. Reading this should make me smarter; and it probably does. Alas, it also makes me feel dumb, relatively speaking.

So, you are built like a mountain, decorated with all sorts of military accolades, well-read and intelligent. I hope you won't mind if I imagine that you also have a very small penis. I am not saying you do. I am just saying that I tell myself you do to offset my own personal inferiority complex.

Sorry, back to the interview...

Maybe a nipple job will help your self-esteem.
At At
Oh, no! I am quite happy with the minor celebrity status currently attributed to my nipples. Me getting a nipple-job would be like Steven Tyler having plastic surgery to reduce the size of his mouth.

Unless, by nipple job, you mean the nipple equivalent to a BJ or a HJ... then, well, that may actually help my self-esteem...

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
31-07-2015, 03:43 PM
All,

I decided to add answer 5 to my resource library as I think it is worth saving. It is under the subject title of Counter to posit: Need god for morals.

Feel free to use any of it you deem worthy if you so desire.

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
01-08-2015, 07:30 AM
I'm still on vacation with the fiancee and kid, just checking in while she gets prepped in the bathroom (we're going to see the extended Cajun family today, the poor dear), but I too feel my day is made, reading GWOG's work.

My family are almost universally religious fanatics, so I'm likely to be grilled, now that they all know I'm an atheist. This helped give me some strength and courage for the day, and I can't say Thank You enough.

I AM curious to know why exactly she was interviewing two atheists (for what class, what exact assignment, etc...it seems far fetched to me that any secular professor would assign "interview two atheists", so this feels suspect- the atheist vs Christian one seemed plausible as a college assignment, while two atheists sounds like a Wesleyan Student Fellowship assignment) ... I am more than interested in reading the full report and explanation.

Thanks for sharing this, GWOG. As always, your timing and argumentation are impeccable.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-08-2015, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 10:17 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(01-08-2015 07:30 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm still on vacation with the fiancee and kid, just checking in while she gets prepped in the bathroom (we're going to see the extended Cajun family today, the poor dear), but I too feel my day is made, reading GWOG's work.

My family are almost universally religious fanatics, so I'm likely to be grilled, now that they all know I'm an atheist. This helped give me some strength and courage for the day, and I can't say Thank You enough.

I AM curious to know why exactly she was interviewing two atheists (for what class, what exact assignment, etc...it seems far fetched to me that any secular professor would assign "interview two atheists", so this feels suspect- the atheist vs Christian one seemed plausible as a college assignment, while two atheists sounds like a Wesleyan Student Fellowship assignment) ... I am more than interested in reading the full report and explanation.

Thanks for sharing this, GWOG. As always, your timing and argumentation are impeccable.

Thanks RS76, I hope you are enjoying your vacation. She is taking a World Religions class, and I assume the research assignment was "interview two people on their religious beliefs", and she chose two atheists...kind of an odd choice, but I think I struck a chord with her in the class we had together and she has asked a ton of questions during that last class together and since then as well. I think she has said at one point she was "undecided"...so on the fence basically. So maybe she is fulfilling the assignment by asking the questions she wanted answered anyway...win-win....I am interested to see the final paper, she said she would email it to me. She is far too intelligent to be undecided for long, and I hope she continues to maintain a questioning attitude. She has a great future ahead of her, logic and reasoning can only help that.

She attends the same school I do, Saint Leo University...and they have a religious class attendance requirement (3 minimum). I will post it here (with names removed to protect the innocent) as soon as I receive it.

Thanks for the kind words of support, enjoy your time off with the family.

06-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Thanks, GwoG. I'm back in Missouri, and eager to see the paper. Don't forget, please! Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
07-08-2015, 06:10 AM
(28-07-2015 07:44 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Another detail to add to your already-good takedown of the cosmological arguments:

The examples we have of things beginning to exist, or coming into being, only have causes in the sense of things that caused them to be manufactured out of existing materials. With a chair being constructed, we have previously-existing parts being brought together and assembled. With a sculpture, we have an already-existing block of marble being chipped away at by the sculptor. This isn't creation, not in the sense that the beginning of the universe is creation. It's just the rearrangement of existing material.

So you believe that matter is the fundamental substance of nature, and that all phenomena and consciousness are identical with material interactions? Or in other words you subscribe to materialism?

Would that be correct?
07-08-2015, 09:46 AM
(07-08-2015 06:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 07:44 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Another detail to add to your already-good takedown of the cosmological arguments:

The examples we have of things beginning to exist, or coming into being, only have causes in the sense of things that caused them to be manufactured out of existing materials. With a chair being constructed, we have previously-existing parts being brought together and assembled. With a sculpture, we have an already-existing block of marble being chipped away at by the sculptor. This isn't creation, not in the sense that the beginning of the universe is creation. It's just the rearrangement of existing material.

So you believe that matter is the fundamental substance of nature, and that all phenomena and consciousness are identical with material interactions? Or in other words you subscribe to materialism?

Would that be correct?

Here we go... Isn't there a materialism thread somewhere where this discussion can be had? We all know that materialism, strictly speaking, breaks down in it ability to describe certain phenomenon now known to science. It is also not an entirely defensible philosophical argument for describing our "existence" as we know it. I'd love, however, to see a discussion on Physicalism to see if it holds up better under scrutiny. Personally, I don't think we can ever be certain that any particle or force is "fundamental". At some point in the future, when can finally see the particles we currently view as fundamental particles, I predict we will discover that those particles are made up of even smaller particles and held together with even stranger forces than those we observe today. I have no basis for this argument other than history has shown that there is no end to what man can know, if he continues striving to learn. No god is required for us to exist - no matter how strange, inexplicable, and infinite that the universe appears to us now.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
07-08-2015, 10:01 AM
(06-08-2015 11:05 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Thanks, GwoG. I'm back in Missouri, and eager to see the paper. Don't forget, please! Big Grin

thanks for reminding me, I will text her again. Two weeks left to this semester so I am assuming her final paper will be done soon. Will post it as soon as I get it. Thumbsup

07-08-2015, 10:06 AM
(07-08-2015 06:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Would that be correct?

With all due mutual respect: Don't sidetrack my thread, you want to discuss woo, make a thread, thanks.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post