02-03-2012, 04:11 AM
RE: ancient tribes and aliens
"not one mentiones aliens NOT being there!" hahaha

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2012, 04:55 AM
(29-02-2012 10:11 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  How does the speed of light relate to dead pharaohs? It could as easily have been the specific gravity of water or the quantity of flour in Aunt Jemima's pancake mix .... ooooh, aaah! How'd they know?

OMG, who told you that? How did you find out about Aunt Jemima? Tell me where you live so I can make sure you don't give away that secret again.. (joking, of course)

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I hate those kinds of documentaries...

As someone who practices Archaeology, I get really offended when people refuse to accept the ingenuity and genius of our ancestors. Somehow, people think that no one could be smarter or as smart as we are now, so they must have been dumb. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure most modern people couldn't do HALF the shit ancients managed.

The pyramids were built by citizens of Egypt, believing they would gain reverence in the next life by helping to build a tomb for their divine ruler. Work took so long, the workers built entire towns to live in while the monuments were being constructed.

Oh, also, they were built many years apart.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes NeonMoment's post
06-03-2012, 06:49 AM
The great pyramid of giza is made up of an estimated 2 million stone blocks.

Its also estimated that it took 30 years to build.

So they laid 182 blocks a day...with precision that leaves todays modern architects in amazement...thats some going Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
06-03-2012, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 08:05 AM by morondog.)
(05-03-2012 05:58 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  As someone who practices Archaeology

... As one would practice a martial art ? Wink

Bemore, regarding things like the light speed thing -
(a) historically a lot of people have fiddled the numbers with things like that - it's not like you're gonna go check the pyramid dimensions and make sure they're not lying.
(b) It's like... if I search long enough, eventually I'll find someone who has the same birthday as me. Is that an amazing coincidence? If I search long enough, playing with the dimensions of the pyramids, doing arbitrary numeric operations on them, I will eventually find some "coincidences".

Also I could start from the other side, which is quicker, by taking e.g. the golden ratio, and looking for ways to derive it from the pyramid dimensions - finally bear in mind again that it's fairly likely that if the numbers don't fit I can just "adjust" them a bit - nobody's gonna actually go to Egypt and check that what I'm saying is true.
Lastly, it's pretty obvious why you'd build a dirty great pyramid if you worship your Pharaoh as emporer/king/god thing. It's not at all obvious why you'd feel the need to build it so that dividing the height by the length of one side and multiplying by Pi gives the average distance to the moon measured in hundred-thousandths of an Egyptian cubit. These numbers are *made up* by the woo brigade Wink And that is why I passionately hate them (the woo brigade, not the numbers).

Edit: it should be units of a hundred thousad Egyptian cubits obviously...
08-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Hum... Those stones lined up... Anybody thought at a giant Hop-o'-My-Thumb ?

Personally I can easily believe that people made that. With a lot of people, a lot of calculation, a lot of work, indeed, but they made it. I studied the Book of Kells which is an amazing book with pieces of art in it you can't even imagine, precise, symetric, really fine art... And you think "so monks in a muddy monastery did this ???" but yeah I can sincerely imagine people doing that x)

« Etre contesté, c’est être constaté. »
To be contested, is to be noticed
[+] 3 users Like The French Frog's post
09-03-2012, 01:02 AM
(08-03-2012 06:20 PM)The French Frog Wrote:  Hum... Those stones lined up... Anybody thought at a giant Hop-o'-My-Thumb ?

Personally I can easily believe that people made that. With a lot of people, a lot of calculation, a lot of work, indeed, but they made it. I studied the Book of Kells which is an amazing book with pieces of art in it you can't even imagine, precise, symetric, really fine art... And you think "so monks in a muddy monastery did this ???" but yeah I can sincerely imagine people doing that x)

+1 for Book of Kells Smile You like Celtic art then ? I used to be nuts about that stuff myself.
09-03-2012, 02:43 AM
(09-03-2012 01:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-03-2012 06:20 PM)The French Frog Wrote:  Hum... Those stones lined up... Anybody thought at a giant Hop-o'-My-Thumb ?

+1 for Book of Kells Smile You like Celtic art then ? I used to be nuts about that stuff myself.

And now instead you're just stuffing your nuts yourself?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-03-2012, 12:28 AM
(09-03-2012 02:43 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

http://lifeandstyle.colincowie.com/recip...s-stuffing

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
10-03-2012, 12:51 AM
(10-03-2012 12:28 AM)Karl Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 02:43 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

http://lifeandstyle.colincowie.com/recip...s-stuffing

That's not the image I had in mind, but damn that looks mighty tasty!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My