and on to another subject

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 04:13 AM
RE: and on to another subject
(05-06-2014 04:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:08 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Rev- is this what you were referring to?

[Image: imagejpg1_zps5679a67f.jpg]

(05-06-2014 04:10 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Guess their is the exception to the rule.

*there

Changed it before I saw this. Next time don't try to grammar nazi.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 04:19 AM
(05-06-2014 03:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 03:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  Show me your data that are specific to high tech companies, principally the engineering groups.

Start off with an initial imbalance of gender and race due to socio-economic reasons:

No, actually, I won't - because that is not what I'm talking about.

Quote:Tech: Where the women and minorities aren't

Quote:It's a funhouse mirror image of the American workforce, which is 47% female, 16% Hispanic, 12% black and 12% Asian, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Google released its diversity numbers Wednesday after it (and most other tech firms) have spent years without disclosing such figures.

Just 1% of its tech staff are black. Two percent are Hispanic. The one well-represented minority group is Asians, who make up 34% of the company's tech workers. Eighty-three percent of Google's tech workers internationally are male.For non-tech jobs, the number is 52%.

The numbers are especially astounding for California, where 38% of the population is Hispanic, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Asians make up 14% of the state.

Completely irrelevant to my point. Please throw the red herring away.

Quote:... now exacerbate the problem by hiring people who fit your culture by using jargon such as "culture fit" (an excuse I was given when I wanted to hire a 50 year old system admin)

This Is Why There Aren't Enough Women In Tech

As The Silicon Valley Gender Gap Remains Striking, What's It Like To Be One Of The Few Women There?

Quote:Even in major tech companies, the lack of female representation is startling: Though an estimated 70 percent of its users are female, Pinterest’s board of directors is made up entirely of men. Until last year, Twitter also had an all-male board. Women represent less than 10 percent of venture capitalists; less than a third of employees in the tech sector; and contribute to just 1.2 percent of open-source software. The numbers are even worse for women of color: they represent less than three percent of people working in the technology field.

One woman well-versed in Silicon Valley’s gender imbalance is Karen Catlin. Catlin is on the board of directors at the CLUB, a Silicon Valley organization that aims to propel female leaders forward. In her 25 years in the industry, Catlin tells Bustle, she’s actually seen computer science’s gender gap grow larger.

Quote:A recent report from the U.S. Census Bureau indicates there’s been little to no progress in minimizing the gender gap, both in the computer field (currently 27 percent female) and in engineering (13 percent). Several factors are credited as being behind the male-heavy environment: fewer women majoring in the subjects, for example, and a culture that prizes male dominance.

Tipping The Scales For Gender Balance In Tech

The glass ceiling:

This One Stat Shows Just How Far Behind Silicon Valley Is On Gender Equality

[quote]
In the 2013 proxy season, more than 80% of Silicon Valley 150 companies had only one woman director or none at all.

And we're not just talking about four-person startups; the average number of employees in these 150 companies is 8,500.

Inequality of pay:

Gender gap: Men getting paid more than women in Silicon Valley

Quote:Men who hold graduate or professional degrees earn a whopping 73 percent more than women with the same educational qualifications, while men with a bachelor’s degree earn 40 percent more than women with the same credentials, the study found.

Again, little of that addresses what I said. I stated this was about what happens in primarily engineering groups and specifically stated it was not the case in other areas such as sales. That would include boards of directors, venture capitalists, whatever.

Take your rants elsewhere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2014, 04:20 AM
(05-06-2014 03:57 AM)Dee Wrote:  I have wondered why young women run the other way when feminist is mentioned. A stereotype seems to have emerged: dyke, men haters, women oppose to the feminine: bows, ribbons, makeup, pregnancy, dresses, short dresses, etc.

In my early twenties I didn't see a need for it. I just believed in equality for all and I didn't see any gender discrimination.

But as my career progressed and I started climbing up the ladder the inequality became more prevalent. It's like there's a tendency to trust women less for tasks which require a lot of skill or which carry a lot of responsibility. There's a tendency to value the work they do less than if it was performed by a man. There is plenty of evidence supporting this, statistical and personal testament.

(05-06-2014 03:57 AM)Dee Wrote:  Without feminists in the world, I'm afraid the women in Afghanistan, many African countries, and women in all third world countries would be adrift with no hope for their future as free and independent women. There are women in these countries fighting tooth and nail to abolish genital mutilation, marrying off 9 year old girls, child prostitution, honor killings, the list goes on. And I believe we continue to need identified feminists in the western world also..

What's more it is easy for the progress that has been made to be lost. Equality for all must not only be fought for, but actively maintained.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
05-06-2014, 04:21 AM
(05-06-2014 04:13 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  *there

Changed it before I saw this. Next time don't try to grammar nazi.

Puh-lease.

It's still on file.

Forever.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-06-2014, 04:24 AM
(05-06-2014 04:21 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:13 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Changed it before I saw this. Next time don't try to grammar nazi.

Puh-lease.

It's still on file.

Forever.

Yeah but now it looks like you corrected what was never there.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
05-06-2014, 04:25 AM
(05-06-2014 04:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 03:03 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  No I'm not. Show me where I said that.

In your response to my post about the high tech sector.

Sorry I'm confused as to how that shows me "presupposing that high tech is no different than any other area"

Please be more specific. And while you're at it you may want to refer to this post of mine:

(04-06-2014 03:21 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:53 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I don't believe I've ever been turned down a job because I am a woman. Perhaps its due to the type of jobs I work?

Most probably. I work in a male dominated field.
05-06-2014, 04:26 AM
(04-06-2014 09:20 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:53 AM)War Horse Wrote:  This is exactly the kind of over the top stupid name calling pussy shit I'm fed up with.

Being a man now means being a "trogladyte" ? , well fuck off, I still have my balls and intend to keep them. Strawman much ?

Fuck all you pussies that want to get laid at any expense to your self esteem.

I just knew this conversation would turn to shit and into a cussing match around here the moment someone doesnt walk in lockstep. Sad.

*Sorry Hobbit, you slipped in between the posts, I didnt respond to your post with this.

It's interesting how you (or that guy in the video for that matter) have not presented a single argument the whole time, other than "I have experience in women and I know how they are, so I'm right".

I still don't understand what your problem with women is.

From one of the videos War Horse posted, the problem is that a lot of western women behave with an extreme sense of entitlement. This is (likely) causing some western men to hook up with Asian women, because they make better mates.

The guy who makes the videos is expressing one mans opinion, but personally, I've heard many men agree what he is saying.
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
05-06-2014, 04:26 AM
(05-06-2014 04:24 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:21 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Puh-lease.

It's still on file.

Forever.

Yeah but now it looks like you corrected what was never there.

It's still in the quote.

Still on record.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-06-2014, 04:29 AM
(05-06-2014 04:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  Take your rants elsewhere.

No.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
05-06-2014, 04:31 AM
(05-06-2014 04:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 03:05 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Are you claiming it isn't?

Read the thread, dude.

I don't know about 'any other area', but I claim that high tech is pretty free of gender discrimination in pay and promotion, in my experience.
I have been in the high tech sector for decades.

The "in my experience" is a great big cop out, allowing you to dismiss any evidence given to you. Also, given that you're male and come across as a sexist pig I doubt you'd recognise gender discrimination unless it stole about a third of your pay every month.