and on to another subject

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 05:25 AM by Dee.)
RE: and on to another subject
(05-06-2014 04:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:53 AM)Dee Wrote:  The lady said it; no means no, chas.

Feminine wiles (entitled to manipulate): oh, but you know chas, I think you're so cute, and funny, and smart, and warm--ooh la la.

No offence chas; just using your name to give an example of what might be considered one aspect of what some here are calling female entitlement.

I am actually using this hyperbole to circumvent an angry or aggressive response from chas. But, I think chas is too experienced to let me get away with this--oops! There I go again.

*wiles

No idea what you are trying to say. Consider

Oops, pardon--wiles as in feminine wiles.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 05:04 AM
(05-06-2014 05:03 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:03 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Woah, really?

Yes.

Well..... I guess you're actually real and my secret plans are foiled.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
05-06-2014, 05:07 AM
(05-06-2014 04:25 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  In your response to my post about the high tech sector.

Sorry I'm confused as to how that shows me "presupposing that high tech is no different than any other area"

Please be more specific. And while you're at it you may want to refer to this post of mine:

(04-06-2014 03:21 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Most probably. I work in a male dominated field.

Your first question asks how do I know it's not sexism when women are 'under-represented.
I am not addressing the causes of 'under-represented' while you conflate that with the treatment of women who are actually there.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-06-2014, 05:10 AM
(05-06-2014 05:02 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Then your comment is just a reflection of your hyper-sensitive bigotry.

You really aren't seeing the irony here, are you?

No, please spell it out. I breathlessly await your insight and wisdom. Drinking Beverage

05-06-2014, 05:14 AM
(05-06-2014 04:58 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  [Image: 3115024893_20d8500e41.jpg]

I love, love, love him. Is he taken? Tell him I work and fry up the bacon.

And the classic:

[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
05-06-2014, 05:20 AM
(05-06-2014 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:02 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  You really aren't seeing the irony here, are you?

No, please spell it out. I breathlessly await your insight and wisdom. Drinking Beverage

It's the magic disclaimer which allows you to refute any evidence put to you while still maintaining your position. You used it here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid588001

It's a very convenient phrase. It slays any evidence given to you because it's not in your experience. It allows you to maintain any position despite what others counteract it with because what counts is only what's been in your experience. And when you ask others to provide evidence, and they provide it you can dismiss them because you bring up the fact that it was only in your experience. And, perhaps most conveniently of all, unless they know you personally they can't refute a single thing you say as they do not know if you are being truthful about what is in your experience.

An argument which is in your experience is no argument at all.
05-06-2014, 05:23 AM
(05-06-2014 05:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your first question asks how do I know it's not sexism when women are 'under-represented.
I am not addressing the causes of 'under-represented' while you conflate that with the treatment of women who are actually there.

Sorry still not sure how this shows that I am "presupposing that high tech is no different than any other area".

Besides if you had read my posts rather than just dismiss them without considering the bigger picture you would have realised that what I have been saying all along is that an initial imbalance in the demographic make-up of employees (for whatever reasons) is a positive feedback mechanism which leads to inequality.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
05-06-2014, 05:25 AM
(05-06-2014 05:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your first question asks how do I know it's not sexism when women are 'under-represented.

Sorry still not sure how this shows that I am "presupposing that high tech is no different than any other area".

Besides if you had read my posts rather than just dismiss them without considering the bigger picture you would have realised that what I have been saying all along is that an initial imbalance in the demographic make-up of employees (for whatever reasons) is a positive feedback mechanism which leads to inequality.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I am talking about the treatment of women who are in high tech, not the ones who aren't.

05-06-2014, 05:27 AM
(05-06-2014 05:14 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:58 AM)Dee Wrote:  I love, love, love him. Is he taken? Tell him I work and fry up the bacon.

And the classic:

He's terrible.Facepalm

I understand why he married, a man like him has to settle for the worst.
05-06-2014, 05:28 AM
(05-06-2014 05:20 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, please spell it out. I breathlessly await your insight and wisdom. Drinking Beverage

It's the magic disclaimer which allows you to refute any evidence put to you while still maintaining your position. You used it here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid588001

It's a very convenient phrase. It slays any evidence given to you because it's not in your experience. It allows you to maintain any position despite what others counteract it with because what counts is only what's been in your experience. And when you ask others to provide evidence, and they provide it you can dismiss them because you bring up the fact that it was only in your experience. And, perhaps most conveniently of all, unless they know you personally they can't refute a single thing you say as they do not know if you are being truthful about what is in your experience.

An argument which is in your experience is no argument at all.

The evidence given had nothing to do with my statement. That evidence was about systemic under-representation and about discrimination and imbalance in areas other that what I referred to.

And I made no argument other than that which was in my (rather extensive) experience. So, no irony.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post