and on to another subject

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 05:28 AM
RE: and on to another subject
(05-06-2014 05:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am talking about the treatment of women who are in high tech, not the ones who aren't.

Me too. And I am trying to give you an explanation as to why it happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 06:12 AM
(05-06-2014 04:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  ...
Can you make women laugh?

Only when I'm naked for some unfathomable reason.

Meanwhile...

I'm tempted to stay out of this thread 'cause it's moved so far beyond the OP and doesn't seem to be leading towards enlightenment but y'know... wiminz and shit ... and West vs. East wiminz ... it's my area of expertise.

Sorry WH, I didn't get very far through the first 2 vids... just droned on too much that I dozed off (literally). But I got through this one:
(04-06-2014 09:32 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Might want to listen to this guy..... yes all of it and no jumping to conclusions after 2 minutes.

I'm tempted to make some quip about it not being really about just American women just American black women to take it to a whole new level of Facepalm , but I think the OP wanted a serious discussion so I've pulled out a few lines for comment:
"American women
Not all women but is most of them
bring nothing to the table except nice ass etc,
sense of entitlement gross narcissism
same woman who feels she's entitled to have the man pay every time you go out or that it's the man's job to make them happy all the time no matter what, is the same women who won't give anything back... all she sees is what you can do for her and what she should be doing for her.
She wants 3 things... wedding ring, house to live in and kids...
who gives a shit about a man and his needs?"

Yup I agree, there are women who behave this way.
But it's not clear cut between east vs west social conditioning.
Nor is it clear cut between rural vs industrialised conditioning or any other social classification.

I think a better word than 'entitlement' is 'empowerment'... women now have more opportunity to behave like men have behaved for millennia but I don't see anything particularly wrong will this kind of transactional behaviour.

We select mates for various reasons. For males it's about spreading the genes (so availability is key) and for females, selection of males relates to which male sings the best mating-song or can build the best nest.

The complex and overlapping societal groups in which we struggle to survive and the slow but sure shift towards equality (in industrialised, secular communities, in the main) have just made it all more interesting.

Over here, it's undeniable that the western man, who has grown tired of the 'having it all' attitude of western women has found refuge in the 'working hard to please' eastern woman.

Is this a stereotype, a cliché?
Yes. And also a phenomenon. But again, it's not that simple. There is an perception (mentioned often around here) that Singapore is 'too westernised' meaning that e.g. Malaysian guys won't date Singaporean girls for the same reasons mentioned in the video.

It seems they have a problem with equality-loving, educated, empowered free-thinkers.

Surely though, what it comes down to in the end is compatibility. Each relationship is about give and take.

There does not have to be equality regarding what's given and taken (going dutch) as long as both parties are happy with each transaction or set of transactions.

Personally, I'd like to see the trend continue and men need to adapt.

I have a Thai friend whose mother is one of 13 'wives' (in series) and has over twenty step-brothers/sisters most of whom she has never met. There is no Child Support Agency in Thailand. My friend does not find this unusual.

The career glass ceiling is not even a concept for these girls.

Dodgy

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
05-06-2014, 06:24 AM
(05-06-2014 06:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  [snip]
I think the OP wanted a serious discussion so I've pulled out a few lines for comment:
"American women
same woman who feels she's entitled to have the man pay every time you go out or that it's the man's job to make them happy all the time no matter what, is the same women who won't give anything back... all she sees is what you can do for her and what she should be doing for her.

Nor is it clear cut between rural vs industrialised conditioning or any other social classification.

I think a better word than 'entitlement' is 'empowerment'... women now have more opportunity to behave like men have behaved for millennia but I don't see anything particularly wrong will this kind of transactional behaviour.

We select mates for various reasons. For males it's about spreading the genes (so availability is key) and for females, selection of males relates to which male sings the best mating-song or can build the best nest.

The complex and overlapping societal groups in which we struggle to survive and the slow but sure shift towards equality (in industrialised, secular communities, in the main) have just made it all more interesting.

Over here, it's undeniable that the western man, who has grown tired of the 'having it all' attitude of western women has found refuge in the 'working hard to please' eastern woman.

Yes. And also a phenomenon. But again, it's not that simple. There is an perception (mentioned often around here) that Singapore is 'too westernised' meaning that e.g. Malaysian guys won't date Singaporean girls for the same reasons mentioned in the video.

It seems they have a problem with equality-loving, educated, empowered free-thinkers.

Surely though, what it comes down to in the end is compatibility. Each relationship is about give and take.

There does not have to be equality regarding what's given and taken (going dutch) as long as both parties are happy with each transaction or set of transactions.

I have a Thai friend whose mother is one of 13 'wives' (in series) and has over twenty step-brothers/sisters most of whom she has never met. There is no Child Support Agency in Thailand. My friend does not find this unusual.

Dodgy

Where have you been through all this ? You are very insightful on the subject.

Ah, you own my Heart DLJ Big Grin

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
05-06-2014, 06:36 AM
(05-06-2014 06:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 09:32 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Might want to listen to this guy..... yes all of it and no jumping to conclusions after 2 minutes.

I'm tempted to make some quip about it not being really about just American women just American black women to take it to a whole new level of Facepalm , but I think the OP wanted a serious discussion so I've pulled out a few lines for comment:
"American women

Dodgy

That was very informative, I was hoping for your feedback.

I've got 3 buddies looking to move out of here in favor of ,1 going to Thailand and 2 going to the Philippines , with the latter prefered because of the women there are supposedly a better bet.

This is just what I've been told by these guys, and have no idea if they are correct. Tho when and if they move I will probably get a firsthand report from them.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
05-06-2014, 07:02 AM
(05-06-2014 05:02 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:58 AM)Juv Wrote:  It's probably Mathilda.Drinking Beverage

I'm her husband. Trust me, she doesn't. Smartass

I'm curious as to why you haven't repped each other.

That's not very romantic

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-06-2014, 07:04 AM
(05-06-2014 06:24 AM)Dee Wrote:  ...
Where have you been through all this ? You are very insightful on the subject.

Ah, you own my Heart DLJ Big Grin

Sorry. I was too busy living the 'western guy/asian girls' dream.

Cool

05-06-2014, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 07:20 AM by DLJ.)
(05-06-2014 06:36 AM)War Horse Wrote:  ...
That was very informative, I was hoping for your feedback.

I've got 3 buddies looking to move out of here in favor of ,1 going to Thailand and 2 going to the Philippines , with the latter preferred because of the women there are supposedly a better bet.

This is just what I've been told by these guys, and have no idea if they are correct. Tho when and if they move I will probably get a firsthand report from them.

So you are saying that they are buying into the stereotype.

Part of me thinks... yeuch! that's so exploitative.. taking advantage of young girls who are desperate to find a way to claw their way out poverty.

Part of me thinks... hehehe, suckers! 3 more guys who are going to get their wallets emptied as they discover they are marrying not just one girl but an extended family.

Part of me thinks... why the fuck not as long as all parties are happy with the arrangement.

And another part of me thinks... distribution of wealth, distribution of genes etc. is probably a good thing.

So, I guess, I'm saying... good luck to them. But let them know that people are people... it's not as black and white as east vs. west.

Erm... it's not brown and pink, maybe?

Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-06-2014, 07:16 AM
(05-06-2014 05:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am talking about the treatment of women who are in high tech, not the ones who aren't.

Me too. And I am trying to give you an explanation as to why it happens.

First you need to show that it is common or widespread.

I never said it doesn't happen at all, just that it is not, in my experience, widespread.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2014, 07:19 AM
(05-06-2014 07:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Part of me thinks... yeuch! that's so exploitative.. taking advantage of young girls who are desperate to find a way to claw their way out poverty.

Me thinks-- ^^^ is all they are thinking about. And it disgusts me. I hope they get some disease and their peckers fall off.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-06-2014, 07:26 AM
(05-06-2014 07:19 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 07:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Part of me thinks... yeuch! that's so exploitative.. taking advantage of young girls who are desperate to find a way to claw their way out poverty.

Me thinks-- ^^^ is all they are thinking about. And it disgusts me. I hope they get some disease and their peckers fall off.

But why?

If all parties find happiness?

'He': finds his current environment changing and can't adapt so finds a different enviroment.
'She': finds an opportunity to raise herself (and family members) out of poverty and stretch out an arm towards all those nice, shiny things she sees in western magazines etc.

And, to put it another way... do you really want that kinda guy? Why not let them go and discover whether the Thai grass is truly greener.