and your point is

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 05:37 PM
and your point is
Why are people so obsessed with the meaning of life....? no literally... and not just the definition but one brood one that fits everyone in under the meaning. I guess so that o one feels left out? to me why would you want such a meaning. It would be good for some but not for others... and even worce, what if it was something bad like you must eat the young or have them battle.to the death... or... you live to suffer under he thumb of celestial giants who messily rule us from behind the shadows....

that's the thing though. people are so full of hope that the meaning is good that the forget to find their own meaning from within. to m that is the ultimate truth. define life for yourself.

so my question to you is... is there a point to life having a definable blanket purpose. my other question is what if that purpose is bad. like fifteen levels of hell and torment bad.{and that is why the unicorn tribe has hid it from us mere mortals... lol} that is my truest question though.... has anyone ever thought the point to life is a bad one.... to me I am just happy with defining life for myself...

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kunoxian drive's post
02-03-2017, 06:12 PM
RE: and your point is
Well, being an existential nihilist isn't a particularly fulfilling perspective on life to have, generally. I think people in general want to make life seem meaningful so they feel like they're doing something purposeful with their existence. I also think people tend to be more optimistic then they'd like to admit. I mean, so far as preferences are concerned you'd probably be much happier knowing that you're okay and you're awesome before thinking that you're essentially worthless to the world.

I also completely agree that the most fulfilling meaning to life is that of which you decide it to be. I don't believe that there NEEDS to be a definable purpose for living but I don't not understand those who feel there should be. It's less scary, essentially. Also, to answer your second question: I feel that if the meaning to life was worse than that of nothingness, and people knew (or at least believed) that was the case the human race would've ended YEARS ago. XD
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
02-03-2017, 06:32 PM
(02-03-2017 06:12 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Well, being an existential nihilist isn't a particularly fulfilling perspective on life to have, generally. I think people in general want to make life seem meaningful so they feel like they're doing something purposeful with their existence. I also think people tend to be more optimistic then they'd like to admit. I mean, so far as preferences are concerned you'd probably be much happier knowing that you're okay and you're awesome before thinking that you're essentially worthless to the world.

I also completely agree that the most fulfilling meaning to life is that of which you decide it to be. I don't believe that there NEEDS to be a definable purpose for living but I don't not understand those who feel there should be. It's less scary, essentially. Also, to answer your second question: I feel that if the meaning to life was worse than that of nothingness, and people knew (or at least believed) that was the case the human race would've ended YEARS ago. XD

I'm not concerned with the meaning of life. We're born, we live a certain amount of time, then we die. What you do in that middle part is the part that matters and hopefully we get to spend that time well.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
02-03-2017, 06:35 PM
just thought I'd add this.. most people in religion think their deity gives them their meaning. to me that's worse. your meaning is dictated to you as thus... you have no choice in the matter.. if you disobey... hmmm...sucks for you....

02-03-2017, 06:37 PM
(02-03-2017 06:35 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  just thought I'd add this.. most people in religion think their deity gives them their meaning. to me that's worse. your meaning is dictated to you as thus... you have no choice in the matter.. if you disobey... hmmm...sucks for you....

Too servile a perspective for my taste...
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
02-03-2017, 06:38 PM
(02-03-2017 06:37 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 06:35 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  just thought I'd add this.. most people in religion think their deity gives them their meaning. to me that's worse. your meaning is dictated to you as thus... you have no choice in the matter.. if you disobey... hmmm...sucks for you....

Too servile a perspective for my taste...

agreed....

02-03-2017, 06:40 PM
(02-03-2017 05:37 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  so my question to you is... is there a point to life having a definable blanket purpose. my other question is what if that purpose is bad.

People make the mistake of thinking about the meaning of life in absolute terms, when all the answers are in relative terms.

For instance, here are several of the important things which make my life meaningful:
1) Having a great relationship with my wife
2) Enjoying painting and photography
3) Keeping a journal to improve my thinking
4) Reading good books
5) Working on creative projects
6) Contributing to on-line discussions

Since I am no longer employed, I can't claim meaning in my job anymore. But these are enough.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-03-2017, 06:41 PM
(02-03-2017 06:32 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 06:12 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Well, being an existential nihilist isn't a particularly fulfilling perspective on life to have, generally. I think people in general want to make life seem meaningful so they feel like they're doing something purposeful with their existence. I also think people tend to be more optimistic then they'd like to admit. I mean, so far as preferences are concerned you'd probably be much happier knowing that you're okay and you're awesome before thinking that you're essentially worthless to the world.

I'm not concerned with the meaning of life. We're born, we live a certain amount of time, then we die. What you do in that middle part is the part that matters and hopefully we get to spend that time well.

I appreciate that perspective to have. I believe meaning is subjective anyways, it doesn't really need a definition at all.
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post