angels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2016, 04:33 PM
RE: angels
If anyone claim that he / she saw an angel or demon without drugs or alcohol it can be because this person has a brain injury.
Also it can be because this human being has mental issue.
This individual can lie.
etc...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2016, 04:57 PM
(14-07-2016 02:43 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  im not trying to change convert anyone to be a christian but how do you explain the fact that millions of people say they have seen angels or demons? some of them were sober so they can't all be because of drugs. how often do people see things that are not there without drugs?

Because rational explanations can explain these things. Whether it be UFO's, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, or a dancing sun, it's just hearsay, wishful thinking and lack of solid evidence.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
19-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Who are these millions of people?

[Image: oscar.png]
19-07-2016, 06:51 PM
(14-07-2016 03:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  The power of suggestion, apophenia, extreme stress/anxiety (can cause hallucinations), lack of sleep (can cause hallucinations). Additionally, our brains are set up in such a way where we fill in the blanks and try to make sense of things with bits of info. For example, Person A is in an accident. Person B holds their hand, offers comforting words. Person A ends up being okay. No one else on scene remembers seeing Person B---therefore, Person B must be angel. But if you look at a more rational explanation, during an accident, there is often chaos and people scrambling to help others. Lots of people on scene. People are concerned with individual in accident--not bystanders. So not odd that no one but Person A remembers Person B.

While I won't discount the possibility entirely (yay for still having faith mostly) of angels, this. When I was a McCrew Member I once worked 18 hours straight with only one hour of break, and had been up a good 30+ hours. I said hello to a shift manager. I had a conversation with him. To this day, I would swear that he and I spoke...if not for the fact that they made me go home at that point because, "Harper isn't there man. He's never been there...you're hallucinating or something." I wasn't on drugs, just tired, and my brain played some audio and visual tricks on me.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
19-07-2016, 07:20 PM
(14-07-2016 02:43 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  im not trying to change convert anyone to be a christian but how do you explain the fact that millions of people say they have seen angels or demons? some of them were sober so they can't all be because of drugs. how often do people see things that are not there without drugs?

When I was a christian I was convinced, fully and completely, that I had spoken with Jesus. He had appeared to me and spoken to me. I was sitting in church, praying and he appeared to me.

Obviously I no longer believe that Jesus spoke to me. So what do I think happened?

My mind is perfectly capable of constructing such visions. I already believed that prayer would allow you to speak with Jesus and Mary. I was in a highly suggestible state in a place with the appropriate ambiance. My brain conjured it up.

I have no doubt that such is the case with those who claim that they speak with angels. I would not be surprised to hear that these types of things were very common.
19-07-2016, 08:01 PM
What's an angel?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
19-07-2016, 08:29 PM
When I was a kid I swore up and down I saw a unicorn, do you think they are real now? I've met people who say they've seen angels and demons and ghosts and aliens, that doesn't mean they are real. There are even people in other countries who say death is a black dog and many people see this dog before death, is it real? Probably not but if you keep hearing about it you might see it too!

The real question is, if you see an angel or what you think is an angel does that mean Yahweh is real and the Bible? Not necessarily, it could mean many things, it could most likely mean you are experiencing delusions or you saw something perfectly ordinary and thought it was an angel, not very exciting but it's most likely true.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
23-07-2016, 05:41 PM
[quote='Commonsensei' pid='1032022' dateline='1468602697']
genericamerican22 kind of just posts and runs doesn't he? I beginning to think he says" i'm not trying to change convert anyone to be a christian" because he's afraid of being de-converted by us. If these were ligament questions i believe he would at least attempt to expand on them.
[/quo

I think that some people would lie about seeing angels or demons but when you have so many people that say it its hard to think there all lying or imaiging it
23-07-2016, 07:17 PM
General, I'm sure that seems true to you... but group suggestion is a powerful thing, and the mind can see what it wants to see after a great deal of programming followed by some sort of stress (lack of sleep is only one type).

As they have pointed out to you, people hallucinate many other things, as well. They also tell "well-meaning" lies, white lies if you prefer, so they seem important to others in their social circle, whom they know are eager to hear such tales. Often, these are told vicariously, as in "Well I'm telling you, my cousin saw them, and told me all about it".

There is no evidence of angels, only stories told by humans, and only your predisposition that WANTS to believe in angels lets it slip by your skepticism filters in a way that people swearing to you that their uncle saw Bigfoot or Nessie would not.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-07-2016, 12:34 AM
(23-07-2016 05:41 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I think that some people would lie about seeing angels or demons but when you have so many people that say it its hard to think there all lying or imaiging it

How many is this "so many"?

And you know what is harder to imagine that said people lying or being delusional? Existence of angels and demons not to mention other mythical creatures such as centaurs or fairies. There is not a shred of evidence supporting claim of such things being real.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.