angry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2012, 09:41 PM
angry
So.. Hey Unreal, my daughter is in this play at church and if you could donate anything it would be muchly appreciated. Just donate a few dollars, if you can't it would be totally understandable. "what is it about?" It's just this play....

It hits me, why is religion always about money. Well I give this some thought, and I think without money, this church could survive. I also think without money, religion couldn't survive. It's almost like the terrorist, without money they couldn't survive.

Sorry to vent here, but I have only just recently just decided to think for myself and have no other place... I hate Religion. Thanks for viewing...

sorry, but I'm a closet atheist...

Before you see the light, you must die!
Through the fear you're sold into the fraud
It's my obsession, to treat (g)od like an infection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 09:50 PM
RE: angry
Unreal, I'd be interested to know what your reply was to this person and their reaction to it.
And yes, I agree that it would be hard for church organisations to flourish without funds/donations.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
03-02-2012, 09:59 PM
(03-02-2012 09:50 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Unreal, I'd be interested to know what your reply was to this person and their reaction to it.
And yes, I agree that it would be hard for church organisations to flourish without funds/donations.

Honestly.. I opened up my wallet and gave the last $2 I had. It's not my only $2, it's just the last of my week money. I'm a nice person.. Maybe not a christ-believing person but... well..

check this thread out! http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...ord-of-God

I was put in an uncomfortable position. It was a co-worker, and I did like this guy I just didn't expect it from him.. :/

03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
(03-02-2012 09:59 PM)Unreal Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 09:50 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Unreal, I'd be interested to know what your reply was to this person and their reaction to it.

Honestly.. I opened up my wallet and gave the last $2 I had. It's not my only $2, it's just the last of my week money. I'm a nice person.. Maybe not a christ-believing person but... well..

check this thread out! http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...ord-of-God

I was put in an uncomfortable position. It was a co-worker, and I did like this guy I just didn't expect it from him.. :/

Not a pleasant situation to be sure. It's reprehensible; him using his child as a church revenue raiser Sad

03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Honestly, what would you have said?

03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
(03-02-2012 10:08 PM)Unreal Wrote:  Honestly, what would you have said?

I suppose it would depend on my relationship with that person. For example: If I had to work with them I probably wouldn't 'rock the boat' as it may create 'strain' within the working environment. It would also depend on whether I respected this person and/or the relationship I had with them. If I didn't care about that I would have probably said 'I am an atheist and would prefer not to donate any money as it would be against my personal beliefs' or something to that effect. Very circumstantial.

04-02-2012, 09:35 AM
You could ask what the money was to be used for. That's a reasonable question, not offensive.
The play is to be mounted on church premises? With volunteer costume makers and supervisors? The kids aren't paid. So what's being bought? Don't ticket sales cover the overhead? (Okay, that starts being a little offensive... but you see the trend of my questions.)

Churches need maintenance and repairs, heating and cleaning, though most if not all of their labour ought to be voluntary, and much if not all of the materials ought to be donated by parishioners. (It usually isn't. As in patriotism, so in piety, profit* comes first.) A congregation can certainly survive without money - small sects do, indeed, meet in member's homes or out in the open. A church can, too, if it's well enough supported by the members.
What it can't do without money is grow and spread. A lot of the money thus collected is actually for missions: to send clueless people to other parts of the world and give the natives a hard time.
And some is for famine relief, first aid stations, orphan rescue and other good works.
Ask what for before contributing.

(* PPP I propose this for America's new motto: Patriotism, Piety, Profit - not necessarily in that order.)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
04-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Like aurora said it would depend on my relationship with the person. If I didn't know them that well I would have said "If God can create the universe in 7 days, it can create a few dollars in the donation box no problem". But that's just me and I can be a bit of a dick when I find it funny.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
04-02-2012, 04:17 PM
(03-02-2012 10:08 PM)Unreal Wrote:  Honestly, what would you have said?

"Sorry, I have only 2 dollors left for this week and I do not have food at home. But I hope the play goes well."
Might not stop them from taking the money but at least this person will feel bad for taking your obviously last money for this week.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Leela's post
05-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Seems fitting

[Image: tumblr_ld8yhfixuz1qabgb9o1_500.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Kinger's post