animal conservation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2016, 07:00 AM
animal conservation
I just went to the zoo with my cousins. I haven't been to a zoo in a long time, probably 7 or 8 years, but I felt a bit conflicted about the idea of animal conservation, especially when it involves capturing wild animals for research. I can understand the importance of conservation (Endangered animals aren't going to prevent themselves from going extinct. Since humans are aware of the dwindling populations, and aware of the adverse effects that we're having on their habitats, a lot of us feel like we owe it to these animals to keep them around). However, when I read something like "we need to save these majestic creatures," I can't help but think "Oh, so the real reason we want to save THIS species because WE find them 'majestic,' whatever that means." That makes me feel just slightly selfish
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 07:49 AM
RE: animal conservation
Not much of a conflict for me. That use of language is to "sell" the idea to people who will financially support it. It is the language of guilt and salesmanship.
When the reality is man has trashed the habitat, it is no longer natural selection that is killing off a species.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
04-08-2016, 06:55 PM
Few things happen that are truly altruistic. Even if the only reason we protect certain species is entirely a selfish act, I'm okay with that. They don't know why they are protected. They can't understand our motives. The greater point is they are protected.
04-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Oh look, a re-posting bot. How fun. Smile
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nservation

Maybe it knows how to post dank memes, too.
[Image: what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
04-08-2016, 08:57 PM
It's an interesting topic though.

It's about saving the eco system. All species play a part in that. I think it was Girly (maybe not) who posted a clip about re-introducing wolves to a park and the amazing effects on seemingly unrelated things that had. I gotta go now or I would dig it up somewhere.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-08-2016, 09:03 PM
God was the first conservationist. A conservationist... with an intense beetle fetish Laughat

[Image: BeetleChart1e.gif]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
04-08-2016, 11:23 PM
(04-08-2016 08:51 PM)cactus Wrote:  Oh look, a re-posting bot. How fun. Smile
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nservation

Maybe it knows how to post dank memes, too.
[Image: what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg]

WTF?
Looked familiar eh? Smile