another interesting new homo sapienish find

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2015, 06:44 AM
another interesting new homo sapienish find
One of the richest collections of early-human fossils ever found has been hauled out of an African cave, thanks to the efforts of a handpicked team of scientists slender enough to fit through ancient narrow passageways, researchers announced today.

The fossils, discovered in the dark reaches of the Rising Star cave in South Africa, belong to a new species that arose at the dawn of the family that includes modern humans, the researchers say in a paper in the scientific journal eLife.

The fossils' age is unknown, but they could be more than 2.5 million years old.

The Rising Star ancient humans could manipulate objects with their nimble hands, but their highly curved fingers also made them adept climbers. Their Homo-like feet and long legs show they could walk long distances, but their shoulders are also suited for climbing. The researchers call them Homo naledi, after the word for "star" in the African language Sotho.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/.../71966570/

yet another nail in the coffin of biblical fiction.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
10-09-2015, 07:14 AM
RE: another interesting new homo sapienish find
Heard a segment on NPR about this...

You have to wonder -- what motivated these hominids to go climbing down into such a cave???

I think I'd have to be pretty bored before I put that much effort into squeezing into a cave...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-09-2015, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 07:55 AM by ghostexorcist.)
(10-09-2015 06:44 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The fossils' age is unknown, but they could be more than 2.5 million years old.

The mix of mosaic traits is a dead give away that the species is at least that old. For example, the small brain pan suggests that it lived sometime before fossil evidence shows a mass increase starting around 2 million years ago. Their hand is remarkably modern-looking. Given the length of the thumb and the robustness of the bones, I thought it was a neanderthal hand before I read it belonged to the new species. The finger bones have a primitive curve to them. The oldest modern straight finger bone dates to around 1.9 million years ago. Modern feet with an inline big toe is present in the Australopithecines who lived around 3.7 million years ago.

(10-09-2015 07:14 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Heard a segment on NPR about this...

You have to wonder -- what motivated these hominids to go climbing down into such a cave???

I think I'd have to be pretty bored before I put that much effort into squeezing into a cave...

It's suggested that they were put there as a kind of ritual burial.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like ghostexorcist's post
10-09-2015, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 08:44 AM by Tonechaser77.)
I saw this article this morning in the NYT. I'm skeptical but in a good sense. If this holds up, it's pretty grandiose. This is why I heart science!

EDIT: when I watched the Reuters video on it I got chills. lol

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
10-09-2015, 08:41 AM
(10-09-2015 07:51 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 06:44 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The fossils' age is unknown, but they could be more than 2.5 million years old.

The mix of mosaic traits is a dead give away that the species is at least that old. For example, the small brain pan suggests that it lived sometime before fossil evidence shows a mass increase starting around 2 million years ago. Their hand is remarkably modern-looking. Given the length of the thumb and the robustness of the bones, I thought it was a neanderthal hand before I read it belonged to the new species. The finger bones have a primitive curve to them. The oldest modern straight finger bone dates to around 1.9 million years ago. Modern feet with an inline big toe is present in the Australopithecines who lived around 3.7 million years ago.

I guess they never heard of a shovel... It'd be less work.....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Finds like this are just awesome. One, because learning more about potential ancestors is fascinating. Two, because it pokes another huge hole in the YEC bible-based delusion of human's time on earth. Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Homo sapienish... is that Heywood's clan? Tongue

Facebook says "H naledi," and I read "homo nailed." Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-09-2015, 12:58 PM
(10-09-2015 07:51 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

Amazing if that's the case. It shows they had some concept of an afterlife and/or religion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
10-09-2015, 01:18 PM
(10-09-2015 09:56 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Finds like this are just awesome. One, because learning more about potential ancestors is fascinating. Two, because it pokes another huge hole in the YEC bible-based delusion of human's time on earth. Smartass

But now we have to find a link between this one and the next one otherwise evolution fails. This won't matter to a YEC.
[+] 1 user Likes OceanTherapist's post
10-09-2015, 01:29 PM
(10-09-2015 12:58 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 07:51 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The mix of mosaic traits is a dead give away that the species is at least that old. For example, the small brain pan suggests that it lived sometime before fossil evidence shows a mass increase starting around 2 million years ago. Their hand is remarkably modern-looking. Given the length of the thumb and the robustness of the bones, I thought it was a neanderthal hand before I read it belonged to the new species. The finger bones have a primitive curve to them. The oldest modern straight finger bone dates to around 1.9 million years ago. Modern feet with an inline big toe is present in the Australopithecines who lived around 3.7 million years ago.

Amazing if that's the case. It shows they had some concept of an afterlife and/or religion.

My theory -- it was the great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great (ect.)great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather of Ted Bundy -- and he was just hiding the bodies.....

Wink

[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post