another interesting new homo sapienish find

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2015, 05:32 PM
RE: another interesting new homo sapienish find
(19-09-2015 09:16 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I recently learned that there is some disagreement in the anthropological community about the new species claim. One noted researcher believes that it is just a primitive Homo erectus. If true, that would mean the find is not a new species. H. erectus has been shown to be quite variable in their features. For example, here are recognstructions of five skulls discovered in Dmanisi, Georgia.

[Image: aYuIZE.jpg]

This blog shoots down the H. erectus claim and points a disappointed finger at a certain famous anthropologist "who seemingly has no time for [new] species that he himself has not named."

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/fossils/nale...-2015.html

Here is the actual paper on H. naledi.

http://elifesciences.org/content/4/e09560

(19-09-2015 10:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Very cool - thanks GE. It is fascinating to wonder what it was like for them.

I still have to think a shovel would have been a whole lot easier.

Can you even imagine trying to do that trek by torchlight????

Shit - it's amazing... Those folks really must have really been bored.....

Wink

My pleasure. The openings were only eight inches wide, so I couldn't imagine doing that myself, let alone carrying anything. The small size of the openings explains why petite female scientists were employed to climb into the various chambers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
20-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Yay more controversy. Imma hafta scope that laterzzzzzzzzzzzz. Thanks, G.E. Wink

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-09-2015, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2015 06:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-09-2015 05:35 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yay more controversy. Imma hafta scope that laterzzzzzzzzzzzz. Thanks, G.E. Wink

Settle down and go sit in the corner and come back when you've reconciled your Gwynnies with your Bellas. Big Grin

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-05-2017, 08:22 PM
(10-09-2015 07:51 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 06:44 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The fossils' age is unknown, but they could be more than 2.5 million years old.

The mix of mosaic traits is a dead give away that the species is at least that old. For example, the small brain pan suggests that it lived sometime before fossil evidence shows a mass increase starting around 2 million years ago. Their hand is remarkably modern-looking. Given the length of the thumb and the robustness of the bones, I thought it was a neanderthal hand before I read it belonged to the new species. The finger bones have a primitive curve to them. The oldest modern straight finger bone dates to around 1.9 million years ago. Modern feet with an inline big toe is present in the Australopithecines who lived around 3.7 million years ago.

(10-09-2015 07:14 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Heard a segment on NPR about this...

You have to wonder -- what motivated these hominids to go climbing down into such a cave???

I think I'd have to be pretty bored before I put that much effort into squeezing into a cave...

It's suggested that they were put there as a kind of ritual burial.

The fossil has actually been dated to between 335 and 236 thousand years old, which is surprisingly young for a species with such primitive traits. However, it's suggested that they were a long-lived species at around 2 million years old.

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-homo-naled...g-age.html
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
09-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Proof that Jebus designed Slenderman. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-05-2017, 09:45 PM
*Opens thread half expecting some gag in which the artifact turns out to be Trump's hair piece. Oops. Exits thread.*

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
16-05-2017, 09:23 PM
(10-09-2015 12:58 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 07:51 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's suggested that they were put there as a kind of ritual burial.

Amazing if that's the case. It shows they had some concept of an afterlife and/or religion.

Perhaps they were animists.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain