anti-atheist multiverse parody -please review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: anti-atheist multiverse parody -please review
(17-07-2017 09:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 09:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I find idea of atheist movement absurd - beyond lack of belief there is nothing else in common after all, nothing to build from.

Atheists in the USA do have an identity beyond just being atheist though. Through being excluded they become united, same way it works with any minority. Within that atheist movement, there was a sub-movement aimed at being more inclusive of women. AFAIK that was all there was to it, but it got blown into some big deal.

Must say I have trouble imagining atheist movement not to mention said movement trying to split into sub-movement. Different country, different perspective I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 10:37 AM
(17-07-2017 09:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 09:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Atheists in the USA do have an identity beyond just being atheist though. Through being excluded they become united, same way it works with any minority. Within that atheist movement, there was a sub-movement aimed at being more inclusive of women. AFAIK that was all there was to it, but it got blown into some big deal.

Must say I have trouble imagining atheist movement not to mention said movement trying to split into sub-movement. Different country, different perspective I guess.

A lot of atheists have experienced some form of discrimination for being atheist, so I would say it's not the lack of belief that they're building on, but the shared experiences of discrimination.

[+] 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
17-07-2017, 10:46 AM
(17-07-2017 10:37 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 09:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Must say I have trouble imagining atheist movement not to mention said movement trying to split into sub-movement. Different country, different perspective I guess.

A lot of atheists have experienced some form of discrimination for being atheist, so I would say it's not the lack of belief that they're building on, but the shared experiences of discrimination.

I can certainly see that. I'm lucky enough not to have experienced it myself, but I joined atheist forums partly to try and support atheists in their struggles against oppression. Secularist theists can be allies just as much.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
17-07-2017, 01:17 PM
You never answered my question... what do you think an ad hominem attack is?

While you're at it, can you please define how you use agnostic, t.o.e., and parody? I can't make sense of your posts based on how I use those terms.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
17-07-2017, 02:40 PM
(17-07-2017 01:35 PM)LaraLara Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 01:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  You never answered my question... what do you think an ad hominem attack is?

Ad hominem: instead of attacking the argument you attack the person.

No, that's not what it means. It means dismissing the argument because of who presented it.

Quote:T.O.E. Theory of everything

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. I was thinking you meant Theory of Evolution.

Quote:parody: a mockery of something

Sort of. Unfortunately when it is just a strawman the parody falls flat.

Quote:I have to inform you that the main focus of my discussion is now the mob.

So? Your focus does not dictate my focus.

Quote:If everyone is posing such side-questions due to the fact that you outnumber me you will quickly disable me.

The request for definitions was not a side question; it pertained directly to understanding what you were saying.

By the way, you neglected to define "agnostic".

Quote:You are not angry if I you inside the mob? There are many people here I don t want to confuse them.

If you I? You can put me wherever you like. Your opinion of me is of no consequence to me.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
17-07-2017, 02:40 PM
(17-07-2017 02:20 PM)LaraLara Wrote:  I really overlooked you, my fault, this dispute is drawing on me. I believe in diversity of opinion so I did not just want to discuss with atheists. Frankly I do not believe that it is a good sign that so few theist are in this forum because this is a bit swimming in ones own soup - you never get real opposition as long as you do not critize atheism.

What's wrong with atheism? What's there to criticize?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
17-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Aliza,

I am sorry I have problems with the quoting function.

What is wrong with atheism?

For once the atheist here majorily seem to me overly aggressive as I have never ever seen a theist using foul language against me.
18-07-2017, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 04:41 AM by DLJ.)
Thread split to keep it on topic.

This thread is for the discussion of the OP (peculiar non sequitur that it is).

And here is the thread for the dehumanising of our new member, attacking their use of English, various derails, forming a mob-mentality and generally calling people cunts.

And so the world turns.
Rolleyes

ps. Also, thread moved from Science (because this isn't scientific in any way) to the Atheism / Theism section.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-07-2017, 05:29 AM
(17-07-2017 06:57 AM)LaraLara Wrote:  I now did a web research and I get over 35 000 million hits of the combination between "Fine tuning" and multiverse. Now some of this will come from theist but all?

Weird. I only get 60,300, which is a lot less than 35,000,000,000. I tried Google Scholar (cause regular Google is fake news you know), and I get 2,330. Did you use Google or Bing?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 05:34 AM
(17-07-2017 01:35 PM)LaraLara Wrote:  parody: a mockery of something
Google defines Parody as :"an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect."

Mockery: "an absurd misrepresentation or imitation of something"

(18-07-2017 05:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:57 AM)LaraLara Wrote:  I now did a web research and I get over 35 000 million hits of the combination between "Fine tuning" and multiverse. Now some of this will come from theist but all?

Weird. I only get 60,300, which is a lot less than 35,000,000,000. I tried Google Scholar, cause regular Google is fake news you know, and I get 2,330. Did you use Google or Bing?

I get 60,500 on google. I also get 583,000 for the words "Buttered Toast" and 87,200,000 for "Santa Claus" . I'm not sure the number of hits something gets is a good indication of how reliable it is.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post