any long term investors here ?
I just started investing a while ago

so how does everyone here go about their investments

intra day or week trading doesn't count
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: any long term investors here ?
Ya can't go wrong with canned food and shotgun shells......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Back when we had "the internet bubble burst" all the internet stocks plummeted. I picked up a bunch of Amazon stock, figuring they would recoup. Of course, they did and I did quite well. I left the money in there and started investing a bit every month at sharebuilder (now owned by Citibank) where I could invest any amount of $ into any stock (didn't have to buy full shares if I didn't want to). I just picked some that were basically healthy and I was familiar with, researched them a bit, and bought whatever $ amount I had. In some 15 years I never sold any stock, had one go bankrupt and all the rest have done well. They don't do well every year, but over the years I have made good money.

Other than that first Amazon purchase I was very conservative. That first one was just a hunch and a gamble at the time. I have since retired, stopped investing and started withdrawing every now and then (the stocks are in a Roth account.)

There are many ways to do this, I just took the path that was safest and took the least amount of my time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-12-2015, 10:45 AM
I only invest in index funds and I leave it to the professionals to rebalance the portfolio on a daily basis. L 2050

#sigh
04-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I invest "long term" sometimes.
That means I hang onto my Forex currency (usually short .. as "fear is stronger than greed") for 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes. Tongue

Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-12-2015, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 01:41 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
I diversify my investments in different baskets. My goal is 2.1M in 15 years and that appears to be obtainable. I have a program through the military called Thrift Savings Program which is fantastic, current return rate is averaging 16+ % return. It is a long term investment, and I have the money in different groups; international, S&P funds, etc. I also invest in blue chip stocks through scott trade, a mutual fund through my bank, as well as Roth IRAs through military TSP program and through my bank. Invest hard, heavy, and consistent in stocks that are solid like top 500 S&P, GE, Raytheon, Hewitt Packard, etc.... They are expensive, but i am not trying to flip stocks, I want consistent slow risers that have little chance of collapsing so that in 15 years I have built my goal, and can retire and live off of the residuals and our separate retirements with no worries. Slow and steady wins the race.

EDIT: fixed typos, hate posting via my phone Angry

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-12-2015, 11:32 AM
I am now retired, but there was a time when I had everything in real estate. When Hurricane Katrina hit we bought and rebuilt a dozen houses, the first ones went fine, and then GW Bush decided to destroy as much of the middle class as possible and caused the real estate market to crash. due to that and poor choices of my own at that time i worked the last 7 months there for free and now have nothing more than Social Security to live on , but it is almost enuff in the Dominican Republic where I choose to reside.
09-12-2015, 10:42 PM
(04-12-2015 10:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I only invest in index funds and I leave it to the professionals to rebalance the portfolio on a daily basis. L 2050

Whoa! On a daily basis? Really? The expense ratio must be huge I would think.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-12-2015, 10:57 PM
I’ve been investing since the late 80’s, tried to beat the market every way possible and have come to some personal conclusions I can hang my hat on.

1. Asset allocation is crucial. Having a balanced portfolio appropriate for your age and circumstances is key.
2. Adding money via income averaging over long periods of time keeps you from buying too much when the price is high and not enough when the price is low.
3. Rebalancing your portfolio quarterly or yearly forces you to sell high and buy low.
4. Index funds or ETFs with low expense ratios is the way to go, I use Vanguard.
5. Don’t listen to the daily noise, you’ll abandon your plan and get ulcers.
6. If you can’t sleep because of your investments you are too aggressive with your asset allocation and need to change it. Having a portfolio with a historically high CAGR but very high volatility is impossible to stick to. You need to find what your volatility tolerance is and not push it beyond that.
7. Diversify into real estate and your own business. Owning only stocks and bonds is not real diversification.
8. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Caveman style investments or investment in the future of the planet?

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post