any long term investors here ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 06:48 AM
RE: any long term investors here ?
well my investments are in companies that pay a dividend of above 7.5% annually since govt bonds in India pay 7.5% interest

and they are priced very low below the book value this way if the company liquidates I'd still make a profit
I plan to reinvest the dividend I get into other good stocks or ones I own if i can't find any new ones

I started only a few weeks before posting this thread but before that I was stuck reading annual reports
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2015, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 08:03 AM by Full Circle.)
(10-12-2015 06:48 AM)Ace Wrote:  well my investments are in companies that pay a dividend of above 7.5% annually since govt bonds in India pay 7.5% interest

and they are priced very low below the book value this way if the company liquidates I'd still make a profit
I plan to reinvest the dividend I get into other good stocks or ones I own if i can't find any new ones

I started only a few weeks before posting this thread but before that I was stuck reading annual reports

Trying to pick the winning horse from a universe of companies is a fool's errand. Sure, sometimes an investor gets lucky but that's all t is, luck. I think you are better off buying an index fund and limiting your exposure to any one company.

There are ETFs and mutual funds geared towards higher dividends, at least there are here in the US, don't know about India.

As for annual reports keep in mind that numbers can be manipulated and a company is always going to try and paint itself in the best light. Think of it as someone trying to get a date and describing themselves over the phone. There may be some truth to what they tell you but there will also be much that is not said.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-12-2015, 06:43 PM
(09-12-2015 10:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’ve been investing since the late 80’s, tried to beat the market every way possible and have come to some personal conclusions I can hang my hat on.

1. Asset allocation is crucial. Having a balanced portfolio appropriate for your age and circumstances is key.
2. Adding money via income averaging over long periods of time keeps you from buying too much when the price is high and not enough when the price is low.
3. Rebalancing your portfolio quarterly or yearly forces you to sell high and buy low.
4. Index funds or ETFs with low expense ratios is the way to go, I use Vanguard.
5. Don’t listen to the daily noise, you’ll abandon your plan and get ulcers.
6. If you can’t sleep because of your investments you are too aggressive with your asset allocation and need to change it. Having a portfolio with a historically high CAGR but very high volatility is impossible to stick to. You need to find what your volatility tolerance is and not push it beyond that.
7. Diversify into real estate and your own business. Owning only stocks and bonds is not real diversification.
8. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

9. If you are investing in ETFs only buy those with high liquidity because of things like this http://www.marketwatch.com/story/high-yi...2015-12-10

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Laugh out load

Financial Experts
n:
Highly paid individuals that separate you from your money.

Wall Street’s experts botched stock picks in 2015 – again

"Since the start of 2008, if you had invested your money each year in the 10 S&P 500 stocks most recommended on Wall Street, you now would be sitting on a 61% gain.

Not bad, but if instead you’d invested your money each year in the 10 stocks with the worst recommendations, you’d be up 180% — about three times as much.

You’d also be miles ahead of someone who simply followed the S&P 500 — up 67%.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wall-st...beforebell

In other words they trailed the S&P 500 benchmark and were trounced by their own “avoid” recommendations. If this doesn’t convince you that you should invest in Index funds, nothing will.

23-12-2015, 11:10 PM
(23-12-2015 07:57 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Laugh out load

Financial Experts
n:

"Since the start of 2008, if you had invested your money each year in the 10 S&P 500 stocks most recommended on Wall Street, you now would be sitting on a 61% gain.

Not bad, but if instead you’d invested your money each year in the 10 stocks with the worst recommendations, you’d be up 180% — about three times as much.

In other words they trailed the S&P 500 benchmark and were trounced by their own “avoid” recommendations. If this doesn’t convince you that you should invest in Index funds, nothing will.

I rely on my astrologer for financial advice. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-12-2015, 11:19 PM

Financial Experts
n:

A stock broker : someone who invests your money until it's all gone.

Indexes are fine, but there are good reasons to get out of them, or insure them with index puts. Buying and holding indexes during corrections is really stupid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-12-2015, 11:37 PM
(23-12-2015 11:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  A stock broker : someone who invests your money until it's all gone.

Indexes are fine, but there are good reasons to get out of them, or insure them with index puts. Buying and holding indexes during corrections is really stupid.

Puts can get expensive, might as well sell if you feel anxious about your positions.

I do hold index funds, but I temper them with bonds and treasuries to reduce the volatility.

23-12-2015, 11:38 PM
(23-12-2015 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  I rely on my astrologer for financial advice. Drinking Beverage

Dart throwing chimps seem to work well too.

27-12-2015, 03:14 AM
(23-12-2015 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Financial Experts
n:

I rely on my astrologer for financial advice. Drinking Beverage

my response to that is Huh WTF Laugh out load
27-12-2015, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2015 10:49 AM by Ace.)
(23-12-2015 11:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  I rely on my astrologer for financial advice. Drinking Beverage

Dart throwing chimps seem to work well too.

well there's a manga for that chimp dart throwing matter
[Image: 0062-006.jpg]

the story is predictable and bland and the art isn't all that great

http://mangatraders.org/read-online/InvestorZ