any rituals that creeped you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 08:52 AM
any rituals that creeped you out?
I was raised in a non believing house. My mother was raised Catholic but left it all behind when she got married. My Dad was mainly exposed to Presbyterian and Calvinist churches as a kid, as an adult he was atheist.

Growing up I would only attend church for a wedding or funeral...that was the extent of my knowledge. I would hear class mates talk about youth group (sounded like fun), I think my grandmother sent me to vacation bible school for a week one summer spent making crafts...what little girl doesn't like playing in glue and glitter and felt. When I got to high school I attended Christmas midnight mass with a few friends, only because it meant we could be out late and head to a party afterwards. So my exposure to church was limited. And those few times I did attend I was so interested in what they were doing and why but it always ended up creeping me out. I think its these rituals--these behaviors--that kept me from being a believer. I didn't like being a sheep.

Here's some things
1. why does the priest speak in Latin (or was it Italian?) either way no one understood wtf he was saying. If I can't understand you-I'm not agreeing to any of it.

2. I don't like to kneel to anyone, why must I kneel? I'm not your servant. And if I had servants I wouldn't make them kneel.

3. why would you want to drink the blood of jesus...that's just gross. eww. are you vampires? wtf?

4. How does everyone know when to say all those automatic answers? I remember asking my mom and she said when you attend enough-you just know when to say certain responses. That right there sealed that it was brainwashing.

5. bow your head, close your eyes. Um...no. I want to see what you are doing when no one is looking. I'm not closing my eyes.

Later I moved to the Bible belt, married my husband that was raised baptist. I tried church to make him happy. And thinking that maybe I was missing something and now that I'm an adult I could look at things in a different light then when I was kid. This was years after the whole Jonestown koolaid ordeal.

1. As soon as we walk in everyone was over the top nice to us....spooky nice...I mean its nice to say hi to a new face and to make someone feel welcome but we had almost 30 people come up to us and want to get to know us-personally. It felt like I was on the menu for lunch in a room full of zombies.

2. Then everyone starts raising their hands in the air, closing their eyes, waving all around. wtf is that all about?

3. drink some koolaid- err- some blood. um...NO. I'm not drinking anything given to me by a stranger--didn't all these people know about Jonestown?

4. close your eyes to pray. I'm not closing my eyes in a room full of strangers that creep me out.

these rituals just screamed at me that things weren't right, let alone the things they said in the sermons.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
17-05-2013, 09:09 AM
RE: any rituals that creeped you out?
Jolly good indeed! You have provided me with a war, hearty laugh!

Rituals in general are strange affairs. Be it your classic candles and symbols and what not or the ever present social rituals. They are all strange. Now don't throw social rituals into the same pot however. Social rituals such as shaking hands or bowing serve a purpose. Religious rituals are mostly just insanity taking physical form.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
17-05-2013, 10:06 AM
(17-05-2013 08:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  4. How does everyone know when to say all those automatic answers? I remember asking my mom and she said when you attend enough-you just know when to say certain responses. That right there sealed that it was brainwashing.
I don't remember any rituals creeping me out, but I was raised Catholic and this one that you listed used to really bug me because, not only are they automatic responses, but people recite them like robots - I mean literally with no more emotion than a rock! I honestly think half of them don't even think about what it is they are really saying. They just recite the memorized words.

Quote:these rituals just screamed at me that things weren't right, let alone the things they said in the sermons.
You were able to pay attention to the sermons? It was all I could do to keep from nodding off most of the time those sermons were so boring. Our priest spoke with about as much inflection as the whole church membership did with their automatic responses.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
17-05-2013, 10:29 AM
When I was "a christian", in an Assemblies of God church, . . . the things that I found disturbing:

The blood and body of christ that you consume.
Someone on the spur of the moment "speaking in tongues".
Urging people to go "door to door for outreaches/witnessing". [see below]
The bride of christ [Jesus as your spouse].
17-05-2013, 10:35 AM
(17-05-2013 10:06 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 08:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  4. How does everyone know when to say all those automatic answers? I remember asking my mom and she said when you attend enough-you just know when to say certain responses. That right there sealed that it was brainwashing.
I don't remember any rituals creeping me out, but I was raised Catholic and this one that you listed used to really bug me because, not only are they automatic responses, but people recite them like robots - I mean literally with no more emotion than a rock! I honestly think half of them don't even think about what it is they are really saying. They just recite the memorized words.

Quote:these rituals just screamed at me that things weren't right, let alone the things they said in the sermons.
You were able to pay attention to the sermons? It was all I could do to keep from nodding off most of the time those sermons were so boring. Our priest spoke with about as much inflection as the whole church membership did with their automatic responses.

It's been longer than I can remember since I was at a Catholic mass, but growing up in the church and attending Catholic schools, I still would be able to do all the responses, even those from back in the days of the Latin mass. And the words would still mean nothing to me. As well as making the sign of the cross and that forehead, lips, heart thing that I never got an explanation for.

Creepiest for me were Catholic funerals in Latin, the incense and dirges...of course this was following people parading past the body in an open casket first.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-05-2013, 10:39 AM
(17-05-2013 08:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I was raised in a non believing house. My mother was raised Catholic but left it all behind when she got married. My Dad was mainly exposed to Presbyterian and Calvinist churches as a kid, as an adult he was atheist.

Growing up I would only attend church for a wedding or funeral...that was the extent of my knowledge. I would hear class mates talk about youth group (sounded like fun), I think my grandmother sent me to vacation bible school for a week one summer spent making crafts...what little girl doesn't like playing in glue and glitter and felt. When I got to high school I attended Christmas midnight mass with a few friends, only because it meant we could be out late and head to a party afterwards. So my exposure to church was limited. And those few times I did attend I was so interested in what they were doing and why but it always ended up creeping me out. I think its these rituals--these behaviors--that kept me from being a believer. I didn't like being a sheep.

Here's some things
1. why does the priest speak in Latin (or was it Italian?) either way no one understood wtf he was saying. If I can't understand you-I'm not agreeing to any of it.

2. I don't like to kneel to anyone, why must I kneel? I'm not your servant. And if I had servants I wouldn't make them kneel.

3. why would you want to drink the blood of jesus...that's just gross. eww. are you vampires? wtf?

4. How does everyone know when to say all those automatic answers? I remember asking my mom and she said when you attend enough-you just know when to say certain responses. That right there sealed that it was brainwashing.

5. bow your head, close your eyes. Um...no. I want to see what you are doing when no one is looking. I'm not closing my eyes.

Later I moved to the Bible belt, married my husband that was raised baptist. I tried church to make him happy. And thinking that maybe I was missing something and now that I'm an adult I could look at things in a different light then when I was kid. This was years after the whole Jonestown koolaid ordeal.

1. As soon as we walk in everyone was over the top nice to us....spooky nice...I mean its nice to say hi to a new face and to make someone feel welcome but we had almost 30 people come up to us and want to get to know us-personally. It felt like I was on the menu for lunch in a room full of zombies.

2. Then everyone starts raising their hands in the air, closing their eyes, waving all around. wtf is that all about?

3. drink some koolaid- err- some blood. um...NO. I'm not drinking anything given to me by a stranger--didn't all these people know about Jonestown?

4. close your eyes to pray. I'm not closing my eyes in a room full of strangers that creep me out.

these rituals just screamed at me that things weren't right, let alone the things they said in the sermons.

I Was horrified when I was told Bread and Wine were the body and blood of Christ.
17-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I am convinced they would have more believers if they got rid of the "drinking of blood". I remember having conversations IN THE PARKING LOT before we walked in the door of a new church with my husband..."as long as they don't try making me drink the kool aid- I'll be ok" and I swear the very first thing they said when we walked in the door was "hi welcome-we have some drinks right over there" I'm sure the look I gave my husband at that moment was priceless. We still joke about 'don't drink the kool aid'

17-05-2013, 11:01 AM
(17-05-2013 10:06 AM)Impulse Wrote:  

and that scared me. A LOT because it was all people I knew. Aunts, uncles, friends.

Quote:You were able to pay attention to the sermons? It was all I could do to keep from nodding off most of the time those sermons were so boring. Our priest spoke with about as much inflection as the whole church membership did with their automatic responses.
I think it was curiosity and fear that kept me awake. And the fact that I rarely ever went- atleast as a kid. The church I attended with my husband for a year or so was a non demom church, they actually had a good band and the pastor was my age. It was all good till I think he saw me naked...but that's a whole different thread Cool

17-05-2013, 11:14 AM
The scariest ritual I've ever seen....

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
17-05-2013, 11:27 AM
My daughter and I recently attended her grandfathers funeral. (my ex-wife's father). It was a catholic funeral, and my daughter asked if I'd take her. We were both absolutely amazed at the creepy chanting and shit they did. It was like a cult in the movies. Crazy shit. The two of us spent the entire time either staring wide eyed at the silliness, or stifling laughter.

I was raised to think, so my experience with church is very limited. Pretty much every time I am in a church it confirms for me that I don't wanna be there! Lol.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.