any rituals that creeped you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 01:16 PM
RE: any rituals that creeped you out?
(17-05-2013 11:27 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My daughter and I recently attended her grandfathers funeral. (my ex-wife's father). It was a catholic funeral, and my daughter asked if I'd take her. We were both absolutely amazed at the creepy chanting and shit they did. It was like a cult in the movies. Crazy shit. The two of us spent the entire time either staring wide eyed at the silliness, or stifling laughter.

I was raised to think, so my experience with church is very limited. Pretty much every time I am in a church it confirms for me that I don't wanna be there! Lol.

My dad was raised catholic, him and his nine siblings. He went on to be a non catholic preacher. It was always the weirdest thing to go to catholic services with his family. He would still kneel and recite all of the shit he learned growing up like a robot (out of respect and tradition) and my brother and I would just look at each other like "what the fuck?!".

I don't know, people seem to like their rituals. I've been around it too much. I can see where it's scary to some. To me it's not scary, just stupid.

Now I've been to a couple pentecostal services, that shit scared me. No

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2013, 02:08 PM
As a JW, I was used to the usual rituals like praying and passing bread and wine for the memorial of Jesus' death and such. But the one thing I can remember really kind of weirding me out was the covering of the head during a prayer. In JW doctrine, women can't pray for a group if there are baptized men present. But if a woman must pray, and there are those present who have not been baptized, but are in possession of external genitalia, the woman must show her female humility by wearing a head covering.

I was at the kingdom hall one afternoon before or after field service, and I found myself in a room full of women. (I was probably 11 or 12 at the time) They wanted to pray, but because I was present, one of the sisters mentioned that she'd need to wear a head covering. I kind of chuckled because I thought she was joking (putting things on one's head for such purposes is silly, right?), but then they started looking for something with which to cover her head. As I realized they were serious, I felt a kind of unease. Because I had never seen them put this rule into action, I was given an objective look at how weird they really are. Anyway, they couldn't find a hat anywhere, so they got a handkerchief that someone had in their purse and the sister draped it over her head while she prayed.

All of their rituals are bug-nutty, but because I wasn't used to that one, it stuck out to me the most.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2013, 02:43 PM
I grew up in a non-religious household but we had next door neighbors who were Pentecostal. The mother was always telling my two sisters and me about her church and of course the fact that we were going to burn in Hell for eternity. Our mother told us, " Of course it isn't true" but we decided we wanted to attend her church one Sunday so we could see what she was talking about. When the sermon turned to people throwing themselves on the floor, writhing around and yelling, "He's in me! He's in me!" I froze in disbelief, my older sister started laughing hysterically and my younger sister started bawling. It definitely had an effect...an extremely negative one. I think we were ages 10, 11 & 12. Later that evening I was upstairs in my bedroom and the neighbor lady and her daughter were in the daughter's bedroom across the driveway (the houses were very close together with a very narrow driveway) making the daughter's bed and talking. Their discussion centered around who at the present time was having sex with the minister in the pews after hours. LOL
17-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I won't say anything about drinking blood (I was a freak, don't ask), and I wasn't catholic when I believed, but those wafers? Eat of the flesh, or something like that! Is that what they symbolize; eating Jesus's flesh? What kind of crazy cannibalistic shit is that?!?

17-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I was raised Catholic. I really enjoyed Latin masses because I was one of the few people there who understood Latin. I also always enjoyed Catholic churches in general, pretty stained glass windows, sculptures of dude getting killed, drinking blood and eating flesh. I was sort of goth-y kid, what can I say...

As for the rituals, it's supposed to be robotic. I thought that was how they get their "religious feelings," from groupthink and hypnotism, music and creepy chanting. It makes it all seem more important to them, also. The whole sacred and profane thing, they feel like churchtime is special and sacred and that makes them ok with tithing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Ex-Catholic here too.
I was always sort of creeped out by the Eucharist, though I did like the wafer. I once sneeked around and ate a bunch of 'em.
Tasty.

But once I learned about some of the ceremonies in the Meso-American in terms of human sacrifice it really got sort of creepy.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker