anyone else do triops?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 07:50 PM
anyone else do triops?
tadpole shrimps, genus Triops, are small crustaceans that inhabit temporary pools. short lived creatures, they grow fast and eat anything. they lay many dormant eggs before being killed by their pond drying. dormant eggs can tolerate boiling and freezing, and can be stored dry indefinitely. upon rehydration the eggs hatch and the cycle repeats.
they are popular in kits for children and make interesting pets
ive tried to rear these many times, usually failing
usually, if any hatch, they live a few days and get about a third of an inch before suddenly dying. i suspect it's water quality
anyway, i currently have a large female Triops named Sea Lion
she's nearly 3 months old now and was inadvertently reared in daphnia culture. maybe that's how i got her to live, didnt intend to rear her lol. i have since induced the daphnia to make resting eggs and let them die off. the daphnia tanks are drying now so i can just start new daphnia at a different time.
Sea Lion is doing well though. hoping she lays eggs. she lives in distilled water and eats bloodworms and algae tablets. not sure when she will die
cool pets though. hope to get progeny from.her
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: anyone else do triops?
What the fuck is that?

#sigh
10-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Never heard of 'em. Strange looking critters! Are the blood worms normally living in that environment? They looked kind of out of their element, in Girly's video.
10-03-2017, 09:31 PM
(10-03-2017 09:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Never heard of 'em. Strange looking critters! Are the blood worms normally living in that environment? They looked kind of out of their element, in Girly's video.
no but bloodworms are commonly sold aquatic food and triops are omnivores
10-03-2017, 11:39 PM
I remember having Sea Monkeys when I was a kid. Always thought that was kind of cool when I was 8 or so.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
12-03-2017, 02:53 PM
just an update:
Sea Lion died today
she was at least 8 weeks old. i will preserve her and dry eggs she left behind
[+] 1 user Likes seagull's post