anyone rv around america?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 03:36 PM
RE: anyone rv around america?
(18-01-2016 11:36 AM)skyking Wrote:  We have only been out west so far with the truck and trailer, Wa, Or, Ca, Id, Mt.
I am a founding member of a site called boondocker's welcome.
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
It is so nice to have a secure and private place to stay now and then on your travels.
We have hosted several nice families and keep in touch.

Thank you and I'm taking my dog Abby :)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
18-01-2016, 03:40 PM
(18-01-2016 11:42 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:27 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  That's exactly what I'd like to do. I've been trying to find a map that will let me.

Garmin Basecamp. It's free, but useless without a Garmin. It also has a little bit of a learning curve. Still, it was designed for exactly your purpose. The trick to using it for long distance trips is that each leg has to be planned separately, then all the legs can be combined. I'm currently in the middle of planning a trip from Michigan to the Mt Rushmore - Little Bighorn area, to San Francisco, to Area 51, San Diego, Grand Canyon, and home.
We love to travel and we've been to a lot of states but not all yet. It's on my bucket list to visit every state. I'm so excited to plan this trip.
18-01-2016, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2016 04:53 PM by skyking.)
What kind of equipment do you all have? We have a dodge diesel truck and 28' 5th wheel.
[Image: combo1_zpsksfpombm.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-01-2016, 05:07 PM
(18-01-2016 04:41 PM)skyking Wrote:  What kind of equipment do you all have? We have a dodge diesel truck and 28' 5th wheel.

I lov your set up its awesome to be able to travel like that.
We don't have one right now. It died so we need a new one. I'm leaning towards an rv but Jim wants a number pull. I'm sure what we will do yet. I like the idea of being right there while we drive and I can take a nap and stuff like that. We have a Tahoe so I'm thinking something that we can pull with that if we go that rout.
18-01-2016, 05:28 PM
(18-01-2016 05:07 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:41 PM)skyking Wrote:  What kind of equipment do you all have? We have a dodge diesel truck and 28' 5th wheel.

I lov your set up its awesome to be able to travel like that.
We don't have one right now. It died so we need a new one. I'm leaning towards an rv but Jim wants a number pull. I'm sure what we will do yet. I like the idea of being right there while we drive and I can take a nap and stuff like that. We have a Tahoe so I'm thinking something that we can pull with that if we go that rout.

Then what you want is like this:

[Image: Class-a-motorhomes.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2016, 05:48 PM
(18-01-2016 11:42 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:27 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  That's exactly what I'd like to do. I've been trying to find a map that will let me.

Garmin Basecamp. It's free, but useless without a Garmin. It also has a little bit of a learning curve. Still, it was designed for exactly your purpose. The trick to using it for long distance trips is that each leg has to be planned separately, then all the legs can be combined. I'm currently in the middle of planning a trip from Michigan to the Mt Rushmore - Little Bighorn area, to San Francisco, to Area 51, San Diego, Grand Canyon, and home.

Don't miss the crater.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
18-01-2016, 07:39 PM
(18-01-2016 05:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 05:07 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I lov your set up its awesome to be able to travel like that.

Then what you want is like this:

Too big. I want something I can pull with the Tahoe or a small rv. I love the idea of tiny houses but I'd want to be able to pull it myself or drive it.
18-01-2016, 07:48 PM
(18-01-2016 07:39 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 05:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Then what you want is like this:

Too big. I want something I can pull with the Tahoe or a small rv. I love the idea of tiny houses but I'd want to be able to pull it myself or drive it.

Just kidding. Big Grin

Those things often cost well north of $250,000.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
18-01-2016, 08:22 PM
(18-01-2016 05:48 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Don't miss the crater.

We were there last trip, but there are photos I didn't get, so we'll definitely go back. Fun fact: Meteor Crater is privately owned, and you can't pick up stones from the area. The official name of the meteorite, however, is Diablo Canyon, after the geographic location, and the Canyon is fair game. The meteorite pieces are magnetic, so get yourself some of those rare earth magnets and have fun.
18-01-2016, 08:32 PM
I've tent camped in a lot of places, some of which had to be hiked into. Not a fan, though I have learned how to shit in the woods. We had a little convertible tent trailer, and then a motor home we bought after that, but had to sell it to make ends meet when I was unemployed for some time back in the early '90s. We have the coins to buy a new camper, (and have a truck that can pull it, already) but I frankly like some of the other solutions, like flying in and taking a rental to see the sights...if I could get past only wanting to have my pocket picked where I live. Another option is to bow to the wife's desire to live on acreage where there are enough trees to make it seem like camping, even when we're at home. That, I can really get behind- it won't require any travel. We even looked at places in the "suburbs" of Salem, OR. There are family reasons why that option can't be pursued at this time.