anyone rv around america?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 08:46 PM
RE: anyone rv around america?
(18-01-2016 08:32 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've tent camped in a lot of places, some of which had to be hiked into. Not a fan, though I have learned how to shit in the woods. We had a little convertible tent trailer, and then a motor home we bought after that, but had to sell it to make ends meet when I was unemployed for some time back in the early '90s. We have the coins to buy a new camper, (and have a truck that can pull it, already) but I frankly like some of the other solutions, like flying in and taking a rental to see the sights...if I could get past only wanting to have my pocket picked where I live. Another option is to bow to the wife's desire to live on acreage where there are enough trees to make it seem like camping, even when we're at home. That, I can really get behind- it won't require any travel. We even looked at places in the "suburbs" of Salem, OR. There are family reasons why that option can't be pursued at this time.

I'm a city girl all the way. But I do like the idea of traveling in an rv around America for a while. Well stay at rv parks and such. I've sent camped and had a pop up for a while but I found that the way is an rv or bumper pull. No tent material it leaks and is cumbersome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Skip the RV and get a portable Coleman propane grill and a sleeping bag with a bivy cover, with your sleeping location at a proper angle and a quick ditch dug around you to redirect any water buildup, that's all you really need Tongue I usually only even bother with a tent when they make us for training purposes. Though when it's like -40° the squad tent is a convenient way to share body heat if there isn't enough snow on the ground to build a snow shelter, which is more convenient than a tent because then you don't have to bother taking it down and packing it, not to mention cleaning it off later.

Sorry, I'm rambling :/

'Murican Canadian
18-01-2016, 10:29 PM
I've been there, camping in a tent as a civilian in the 25 below zero freezing shit with a wind chill to 60 below, and as far as I am concerned, you can keep it. I look at Eskimos and think, what kind of crazy is it to cross a land bridge from what is now Siberia, and think, "Hey, this is nice, let's settle here!". As a challenge to one's self, OK, but after that, I have as much interest in it as living in a serious desert, which I am in, only ameliorated by some man-made irrigation.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
18-01-2016, 11:04 PM
It's easier to stay warm when.it's really cold than when it's wet and chilly. You'd be surprised at how warm a well built show shelter stays once you close yourself in and get some body heat radiating.

The downside is that there is no room for error. Do things right and you're nice and toasty, even in arctic conditions. Screw up, and you're fucked.

I was browsing some WW2 pictures online and came across a photo of some Russian soldiers who'd frozen to death huddled inside a snow whole they'd dug. It was big enough that they must have spent a good hour or so on it. Yet, if they'd then taken another two minutes to cover that whole with some branches, then cover the branches with more insulating snow, instead of freezing to death they probably would have been removing lawyers to keep from overheating.

I may be getting off topic. I apologize for being a wilderness nerd Tongue

'Murican Canadian
18-01-2016, 11:47 PM
(18-01-2016 10:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've been there, camping in a tent as a civilian in the 25 below zero freezing shit with a wind chill to 60 below, and as far as I am concerned, you can keep it. I look at Eskimos and think, what kind of crazy is it to cross a land bridge from what is now Siberia, and think, "Hey, this is nice, let's settle here!". As a challenge to one's self, OK, but after that, I have as much interest in it as living in a serious desert, which I am in, only ameliorated by some man-made irrigation.

True. And that's why I stay in hotels when I travel now. Yes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-01-2016, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2016 12:07 AM by skyking.)
we tent camped for 15 years or so, then we got a honda pilot. Picked up an old coleman tent trailer for 900 and had a good couple of years using it, figuring it out and stitching it up Smile
It had the right stuff, propane heat and a toilet you did not have to run across the campground to use.
Then we got a lot on the beach that required a trailer with holding tanks. I wanted a diesel and a 5th wheel, so I found an old dodge and avion and got started.
Three 5th wheels and two trucks later, here we are with what seems to be right. The shortbed 4x4 3500 has a 6 speed manual and plenty of dings and dents, having been a logging truck its whole life. It outweighs the 5th wheel by a few hundred pounds Big Grin
It is nice to have more truck than trailer, instead of the other way around.
The shortbed requires some sort of slider hitch and I went through a couple of those, ending up with an automatic slider that just works. I can flip a u-turn where ever that truck will, and it turns pretty tight.
The combination gets 12~13 MPG out here in the mountains.
That will improve by at least 1 MPG when I overhaul the engine, it is pretty tired.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
19-01-2016, 06:09 AM
(19-01-2016 12:04 AM)skyking Wrote:  we tent camped for 15 years or so, then we got a honda pilot. Picked up an old coleman tent trailer for 900 and had a good couple of years using it, figuring it out and stitching it up :)
It had the right stuff, propane heat and a toilet you did not have to run across the campground to use.
Then we got a lot on the beach that required a trailer with holding tanks. I wanted a diesel and a 5th wheel, so I found an old dodge and avion and got started.
Three 5th wheels and two trucks later, here we are with what seems to be right. The shortbed 4x4 3500 has a 6 speed manual and plenty of dings and dents, having been a logging truck its whole life. It outweighs the 5th wheel by a few hundred pounds :D
It is nice to have more truck than trailer, instead of the other way around.
The shortbed requires some sort of slider hitch and I went through a couple of those, ending up with an automatic slider that just works. I can flip a u-turn where ever that truck will, and it turns pretty tight.
The combination gets 12~13 MPG out here in the mountains.
That will improve by at least 1 MPG when I overhaul the engine, it is pretty tired.

Seems like a lot of work! Nah I just wanna park and sleep. Lol
19-01-2016, 06:17 AM
(18-01-2016 11:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  ...they probably would have been removing lawyers to keep from overheating.

Laugh out load
I always thought most lawyers were rather cold...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
19-01-2016, 06:24 AM
(19-01-2016 06:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 11:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  ...they probably would have been removing lawyers to keep from overheating.

Laugh out load

Damn phone messing up my stories.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2016, 07:03 AM
(19-01-2016 06:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

Laugh out load

Removing lawyers is always a good idea. Wink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post