anyone rv around america?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2016, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2016 11:53 AM by Loom.)
RE: anyone rv around america?
Because my dad was in the military, we got to move a lot. Each time it was from one coast to the other. My parents decided to make each trip a 2-3 week adventure, so we got an RV.

It was a blast. We visited all sorts of National Parks, my favorite being Glacier National Park. We had a United-States shaped sticker on the side of the RV. Each time we crossed the border of a state, we hopped out to put up a sticker corresponding to that state. We also screamed because stepping over the border meant your body was in two states at one time (we kids liked to pretend we were being torn in two...yeah we were bit odd).

Suffice to say, through the course of several moves we got 49 states (never visited Hawaii in the RV but we did live there once. Never counted it though). A few stickers blew off over the years. We didn't have stickers for Canada, but we did go through a good portion of the western half while heading to Alaska.

It was an adventure each trip and I highly recommend others go on similar journeys! The United States and Canada are both very beautiful.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
19-01-2016, 11:42 AM
There's an amazing train trip you can take across the Canadian Rockies. I think one of them goes from Vancouver to Edmonton. It's fabulous. I went when I was a 15 years old "I don't give a shit about anything" teenager and even at that time was amazed at the beauty. I'd like to go again, without my rotten 15 year old attitude. I bet I'd enjoy it much more today.

[Image: default-whatshot.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-01-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm planning a driving trip from Van Isle to Ontario this summer. I don't have dates nailed down (sometime in June would be good), but if anyone makes plans for a X-Canada driving tour, let me know. I hope to camp most of the way, and I e done the trip enough to know some excellent spots. I'd be happy to have some TTAers join me!

(Just get your own tent. Ive only got room for me and my mutts! Lol)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
19-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Sounds dreadful.
No decent or constant internet, having to drive for hours and hours on end, no decent shower/pooping/kitchen facilities, being stuck with the same people in a small space for such a long period of time and all that and you don't even get to leave the country. Not to mention the gas bill.

America is not an interesting country, go RV around Europe. At least Europe has actual culture and history.

[Image: oscar.png]
19-01-2016, 05:06 PM
(19-01-2016 04:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sounds dreadful.
No decent or constant internet, having to drive for hours and hours on end, no decent shower/pooping/kitchen facilities, being stuck with the same people in a small space for such a long period of time and all that and you don't even get to leave the country. Not to mention the gas bill.

America is not an interesting country, go RV around Europe. At least Europe has actual culture and history.

You risk losing the yellow, again. Consider

North America has spectacular scenery, geology, prehistory, and wildlife.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2016, 05:28 PM

Hah! North America has incredible, diverse, and beautiful natural places in every corner. Here you can find just about any terrain, ocean beaches that stretch for miles. Old growth rainforests. Vast prairies. Arctic tundra and barren deserts.

Saying America isn't interesting is just plain ignorant. You gotta come here dude. It's a beautiful continent with something for everyone. You can start with Van Isle if you like. Big Grin

So many cats, so few good recipes.
19-01-2016, 05:36 PM
(19-01-2016 05:28 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

Hah! North America has incredible, diverse, and beautiful natural places in every corner. Here you can find just about any terrain, ocean beaches that stretch for miles. Old growth rainforests. Vast prairies. Arctic tundra and barren deserts.

Saying America isn't interesting is just plain ignorant. You gotta come here dude. It's a beautiful continent with something for everyone. You can start with Van Isle if you like. Big Grin

My husband and I travel a lot so I know how it will be on the road. Lol

I love traveling. While it's not for everyone or is for me. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
19-01-2016, 05:45 PM
(19-01-2016 05:28 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

Let me rephrase my America's not interesting comment.
America is not the most interesting country you can go to.

America doesn't have a monopoly on beautiful scenery. Most countries have some form of beautiful scenery. The difference is that most countries also have interesting culture and history. American culture is boring and dumb in part because it's the culture we all live in day in and day out and see all over the TV. We might not go cowboying in Texas but we're familiar with it and see it on tv occasionally in movies and shit. You're better off going to another country that has a culture you're not familiar with. China for example has an incredible deep culture (which American culture is not) and is a stunningly beautiful country. Go RV around there. And America has Museum history. It doesn't have thousand year old city history.

[Image: oscar.png]
19-01-2016, 05:47 PM
(19-01-2016 05:36 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 05:28 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hah! North America has incredible, diverse, and beautiful natural places in every corner. Here you can find just about any terrain, ocean beaches that stretch for miles. Old growth rainforests. Vast prairies. Arctic tundra and barren deserts.

My husband and I travel a lot so I know how it will be on the road. Lol

I love traveling. While it's not for everyone or is for me. Smile

I love to travel but I've done enough camping to fill a lifetime. It's lost it's charm. Give me a nice comfortable car and a nice hotel. We have an old trailer full of camping stuff that hasn't been used for several years. We need to sell it all.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-01-2016, 05:57 PM
When my father retired he wanted to take an RV and travel thru Mexico as well as parts of the USA.He was on his 4th wife. I speak Spanish and had a wife from Nicaragua at the time. Daddy's planning ability was limited and we started in Minnesota, went thru Iowa and on down thru the relevant states and crossed into Mexico. After 2 days there his wife had had enuff and demanded we get back to civilization, so we went west thru New Mexico and then California and up the west coast. Christmas saw us crossing into Canada and then east as far as Detroit where at we dropped back into the USA. We did visit 28 states before we ended in Florida and I went back to work. 4 months of travel with 4 people in a small RV based on a Ford 150 frame. Enuff!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post