anyone rv around america?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2016, 06:01 PM
RE: anyone rv around america?
(18-01-2016 10:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've been there, camping in a tent as a civilian in the 25 below zero freezing shit with a wind chill to 60 below, and as far as I am concerned, you can keep it. I look at Eskimos and think, what kind of crazy is it to cross a land bridge from what is now Siberia, and think, "Hey, this is nice, let's settle here!". As a challenge to one's self, OK, but after that, I have as much interest in it as living in a serious desert, which I am in, only ameliorated by some man-made irrigation.

As a kid going camping was always a hassle for me. We have fine beds at home why do I have to sleep on the ground with these sticks and stones stabbing into our backs?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
19-01-2016, 06:04 PM
(19-01-2016 06:01 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 10:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've been there, camping in a tent as a civilian in the 25 below zero freezing shit with a wind chill to 60 below, and as far as I am concerned, you can keep it. I look at Eskimos and think, what kind of crazy is it to cross a land bridge from what is now Siberia, and think, "Hey, this is nice, let's settle here!". As a challenge to one's self, OK, but after that, I have as much interest in it as living in a serious desert, which I am in, only ameliorated by some man-made irrigation.

As a kid going camping was always a hassle for me. We have fine beds at home why do I have to sleep on the ground with these sticks and stones stabbing into our backs?

Seriously????

Because if I'd tried smoking a joint or drinking a beer -- or sneaking a girl -- into my bedroom --- my parents would have hung me from the yardarm.......

But camping????

You could get away with an amazing number of things....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-01-2016, 06:04 PM
(19-01-2016 05:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 05:28 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hah! North America has incredible, diverse, and beautiful natural places in every corner. Here you can find just about any terrain, ocean beaches that stretch for miles. Old growth rainforests. Vast prairies. Arctic tundra and barren deserts.

Saying America isn't interesting is just plain ignorant. You gotta come here dude. It's a beautiful continent with something for everyone. You can start with Van Isle if you like. Big Grin

Let me rephrase my America's not interesting comment.
America is not the most interesting country you can go to.

Entirely dependent on one's interests.

Quote:America doesn't have a monopoly on beautiful scenery. Most countries have some form of beautiful scenery. The difference is that most countries also have interesting culture and history. American culture is boring and dumb in part because it's the culture we all live in day in and day out and see all over the TV. We might not go cowboying in Texas but we're familiar with it and see it on tv occasionally in movies and shit. You're better off going to another country that has a culture you're not familiar with. China for example has an incredible deep culture (which American culture is not) and is a stunningly beautiful country. Go RV around there. And America has Museum history. It doesn't have thousand year old city history.

Some people don't care about 1000-year-old city history.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2016, 06:18 PM
(19-01-2016 06:04 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 06:01 PM)DerFish Wrote:  As a kid going camping was always a hassle for me. We have fine beds at home why do I have to sleep on the ground with these sticks and stones stabbing into our backs?

Seriously????

Because if I'd tried smoking a joint or drinking a beer -- or sneaking a girl -- into my bedroom --- my parents would have hung me from the yardarm.......

But camping????

You could get away with an amazing number of things....

Big Grin

Oh the memories at the bridge. Wink
19-01-2016, 06:26 PM
(19-01-2016 06:01 PM)DerFish Wrote:  

Therm-a-Rest. Best night's sleep I ever had sleeping on the ground, and lightweight enough to pack into the back country. I never camped as a kid. We were po. Eight kids and a single-wage income, with, often as not, mooching uncles on my dad's side (sometimes with their families). All balled up in a 3-bedroom one bath(!) house that took 40+ years to pay off the mortgage. I think it got refinanced every time the UAW went out on strike. There was no money for tents, campers, etc. We were lucky we got enough to eat; oftentimes we didn't.
19-01-2016, 09:27 PM
(19-01-2016 06:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 05:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Let me rephrase my America's not interesting comment.
America is not the most interesting country you can go to.

Entirely dependent on one's interests.

Quote:America doesn't have a monopoly on beautiful scenery. Most countries have some form of beautiful scenery. The difference is that most countries also have interesting culture and history. American culture is boring and dumb in part because it's the culture we all live in day in and day out and see all over the TV. We might not go cowboying in Texas but we're familiar with it and see it on tv occasionally in movies and shit. You're better off going to another country that has a culture you're not familiar with. China for example has an incredible deep culture (which American culture is not) and is a stunningly beautiful country. Go RV around there. And America has Museum history. It doesn't have thousand year old city history.

Some people don't care about 1000-year-old city history.

Good thing I didn't give that as the sole reason people should venture outside the US than eh.
19-01-2016, 10:34 PM
There are all kinds of different cultures in America, if you're willing to dig beneath the surface. Many of them are several thousand years old, and are still in existence.
19-01-2016, 10:45 PM
If you wanna know just how special and unique America really is, stop by Utah. They'll fill you in.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
20-01-2016, 10:34 AM
(19-01-2016 10:45 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If you wanna know just how special and unique America really is, stop by Utah. They'll fill you in.

I prefer the Navajo (Dini) of Arizona and New Mexico.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
20-01-2016, 10:50 AM
(20-01-2016 10:34 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:45 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If you wanna know just how special and unique America really is, stop by Utah. They'll fill you in.

I prefer the Navajo (Dini) of Arizona and New Mexico.

That's all quite interesting too, but you can't learn about Joseph Smith and the role America plays in God's plan from the Navajo.

'Murican Canadian