are songs from Indian movies popular in the west?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 06:41 AM
are songs from Indian movies popular in the west?
been curious about this for a while and since most heretics and followers here are from the west where else would I ask
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2016, 06:47 AM
RE: are songs from Indian movies popular in the west?
(06-03-2016 06:41 AM)Ace Wrote:  been curious about this for a while and since most heretics and followers here are from the west where else would I ask

Do you have an example? what is an Indian movie? John Wayne comes to mind here.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
06-03-2016, 07:31 AM
(06-03-2016 06:47 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 06:41 AM)Ace Wrote:  been curious about this for a while and since most heretics and followers here are from the west where else would I ask

Do you have an example? what is an Indian movie? John Wayne comes to mind here.

not native American Indians, by Indian I mean the subcontinent where movies usually have several songs in em

FYI Bollywood only applies to the Hindi film industry in Mumbai
there are several Hollywood inspired nicknames in my country
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
06-03-2016, 07:43 AM
I would say in California they are fairly popular because we do have a wide diversity of people here. I like some Bollywood songs and movies.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-03-2016, 07:52 AM
I'm not a big fan of musicals even when I can understand the words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOIKb482AoE

(won't play if embedded)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
06-03-2016, 08:39 AM
(06-03-2016 07:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would say in California they are fairly popular because we do have a wide diversity of people here. I like some Bollywood songs and movies.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that if its popular in diverse regions then its the opposite story in conservative dominated regions
06-03-2016, 09:00 AM
I've only seen two modern movies from India, "Bride and Prejudice" and "Mangel Pandey." The former is an interesting interpretation of "Pride and Prejudice," and the musical numbers fitted in quite naturally with the story. The singing and dancing in the latter, however, seemed extremely contrived. "Mangel Pandey" centers on the native sergeant who sparked the Sepoy Mutiny (aka India's First War of Independence). It was a little jarring to repeatedly see all the "extras" burst into lively song and dance during moments of high drama. Otherwise, it was an extremely well-done movie.

At any rate, I can't remember a single song from either movie
06-03-2016, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 09:49 AM by Ace.)
(06-03-2016 09:00 AM)jabeady Wrote:  I've only seen two modern movies from India, "Bride and Prejudice" and "Mangel Pandey." The former is an interesting interpretation of "Pride and Prejudice," and the musical numbers fitted in quite naturally with the story. The singing and dancing in the latter, however, seemed extremely contrived. "Mangel Pandey" centers on the native sergeant who sparked the Sepoy Mutiny (aka India's First War of Independence). It was a little jarring to repeatedly see all the "extras" burst into lively song and dance during moments of high drama. Otherwise, it was an extremely well-done movie.

At any rate, I can't remember a single song from either movie

on that I agree, I've had moments where the atmosphere of the moment was ruined by the sudden dancingAngry

if your looking for the song then go to Wikipedia page for the film and look at the bottom for soundtracks, then just search them on YouTube till you find em

warning: don't type "Indian songs" or "Bollywood songs", its too vague as there are several hundreds made each year and millions that already exist Yes

also I recommend 'Yeh Jawaani hai deewani', the english subtitles are good
09-03-2016, 06:46 PM
I love Indian music but find the film music a bit too pop. I prefer to hear traditional music.

However, my brother recently produced a Bollywood musical.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-03-2016, 07:35 PM
I live in what is likely the most Indian city in Canada. I hear some Indian music emanating from other cars... But since it all has the same beat and sound, it kinda just seems like the exact same song I've been hearing the last 30 years.