are they selectively enforcing copy write law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 12:16 PM
RE: are they selectively enforcing copy write law
(20-12-2012 10:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 10:28 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  How it is used in order to maintain complete and utter control over a generic product, and if someone creates something remotely similar, they are under the pressure of copyright laws.

For example, Bethesda's childish fight over Mojang's game called "Scrolls". Really? Fair copyright grounds to sue because it has the word "Scrolls" in it? Or the endless lawsuits between Apple and its rival companies, not in an effort to actually protect anything they make, but to drain their opponents of money. Copyright laws may have been created with that intent, but they are clearly abused.
It is not used to create control over a 'generic product' and your example doesn't address that.

The point of law in question in that case is that of consumer confusion by similar naming. It is the name, not the content.

The examples you and others bring up are examples of abuse of a system. The system is necessary and just.
Yes, it does. One of the many lawsuits between Samsung and Apple was because Samsung's new touchpad system had rounded edges.

So no game may have the word "Scrolls" in it?

These are examples of abusing the system in order to create a drain on their opponents livelihood in an effort to outlive their competition, and to secure a monopoly they have worked hard to achieve. The system is necessary, and just sometimes.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 12:19 PM
(20-12-2012 12:16 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 10:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  It is not used to create control over a 'generic product' and your example doesn't address that.

The point of law in question in that case is that of consumer confusion by similar naming. It is the name, not the content.

The examples you and others bring up are examples of abuse of a system. The system is necessary and just.
Yes, it does. One of the many lawsuits between Samsung and Apple was because Samsung's new touchpad system had rounded edges.

So no game may have the word "Scrolls" in it?

These are examples of abusing the system in order to create a drain on their opponents livelihood in an effort to outlive their competition, and to secure a monopoly they have worked hard to achieve. The system is necessary, and just sometimes.
So, we are mostly agreeing?

One answer might be to allow judges to say "Get the fuck out of my courtroom and stop wasting the court's time."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2012, 12:51 PM
(20-12-2012 12:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  One answer might be to allow judges to say "Get the fuck out of my courtroom and stop wasting the court's time."
Actually, they can and sometimes do say that very thing, or a paraphrased version of it. But sadly, they must hear the entire case and review it fully before saying that or else it ends up escalating to a higher court. So they don't save much wasted court time this way.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
21-12-2012, 04:22 AM
(20-12-2012 06:54 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 06:52 AM)Filox Wrote:  Shit people, I can't stand looking at this title subject...

Copyright! ONE WORD.

Some where... somewhere. One word.

There, I 'm all better now.
their, their... do'nt get you're knicker's in a bunch, minor Evil_monster
Laughat

There there, don't get your knickers in a bunch, minor.

Nobody fucks with the grammar Nazi!!

Wait, I didn't mean...

Oh shit.

Dodgy

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-12-2012, 04:29 AM
(21-12-2012 04:22 AM)Filox Wrote:  Nobody fucks with the grammar Nazi!!
And now we know why, captain!

[Image: salute.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
21-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Captain? It's MAJOR and you will remember that!!!1ONE

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-12-2012, 06:27 AM
(21-12-2012 06:25 AM)Filox Wrote:  Captain? It's MAJOR and you will remember that!!!1ONE

Big Grin
Surest thing you know, corporal.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
21-12-2012, 07:03 AM
(20-12-2012 06:52 AM)Filox Wrote:  Shit people, I can't stand looking at this title subject...

Copyright! ONE WORD.

Some where... somewhere. One word.

There, I 'm all better now.

The irony being that you have bumped this thread so your pain will continue for a while longer.

Thumbsup