are you willing to go to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
are you willing to go to church?
i was telling a guy i know about the cool videos i watched over the weekend, and that got us into a conversation about atheism. a girl who was unintentionally subjected to the conversation asked me "Would you go to church?"
i lit up like a christmas tree and said 'lets go, do you have a church?, will they accept my clothes?" etc
i then offered her a deal saying that for every 1 hour of church i endure with her, in return she should watch 15 minutes of atheist videos with me.
she quickly backed down and said she doesn't even go to church but it got me thinking, 'would other people be willing to go to church?'

i would like to say that there would be no making an ass of yourself allowed. no standing up saying something stupid, passing little pamphlets to people, or expression of views to the people in this building would be allowed.
by 'willing to go to church' i mean going to the place, sitting down and being quiet for the entire duration and even trying to have a good time with it by participating as if you were not an atheist at all.
this is a one to one project not you vs the church.

i offered a 4:1 deal and got rejected because she's not actually church goer.
has anyone else done something like this? would you be willing to do something like this for the people in your life?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dredmal's post
07-03-2011, 09:30 PM
RE: are you willing to go to church?
I attend church regularly when I'm home. More so because I come from a very small church so it's an easy way to see a lot of friends and relatives when I'm home from college.

But I've attended the churches of my friends as well (We all went through a phase of testing each other's faith). The only time that I've ever felt uncomfortable was in Catholic mass, because if you aren't catholic, you stick out like a sore thumb when you aren't used to all of the details of the worship (bowing before entering the pew, using holy water as you enter, public communion, etc).

I am more than willing to attend churches of other people, mainly because I'm curious about religions that are different from my RLDS upbringing. It also gives you a bit more credibility when discussing religion with those people later on, and it earns you some respect from them. Think of it as a public relations event.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Been to church enough when I was young. I have no desire to see a church again. Would I be willing to go to a church to in exchange for having a theist watch 15 minutes of atheist videos in trade. Yes, providing they watch the videos first. I will not go to church and then have them back out of their part of the deal.

Dredmal, do know for sure that she has no church? Could she just have said that to avoid seeing atheist videos?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
08-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Just for the hell of it? No, I won't go to church. Tongue For deconversion's sake? Again, no, I'm not big on deconversion, personally (de-fundamentalism, sure, but I really don't care if someone has a religion or not). But I have and do go to church on special occasions with my family for the sole purpose of being with my family. When they invite me for normal occasions, I politely decline, but if it's something special, I want to be there for them, just like I'd want them to be there for me during events of mine that might go against their beliefs.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
08-03-2011, 11:57 PM
My parents asked me to attend a Christmas Eve service last year, and I accepted.

I found the service boring, and as an atheist - I obviously thought the entire ordeal was bullshit. It did, however, give my Mom some comfort and perhaps even some joy to see her atheist son willfully attending a service. That made the trip worth it.
09-03-2011, 05:22 AM
I attend churches upon occasion due to family or friends (not often). It's really easy to sit in the back of the church quietly for 3 hours (couldn't they make it a bit shorter?) It never does anything to me outside of occasionally giving me food (I will do anything for food even kill for it =p) I'll even sing along if the church does songs because I don't mind singing. While at church I generally am introduced to the priest or whatever, and then all the personal talk has little to do with religion. I don't make any scenes, and generally the person who invited me feels if I want to come again I will. I find it easier in a lot of cases to spend a few hours in church rather than long grueling arguments with people who won't give up their position. I hate church yes, but I hate meaningless conversation more.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
09-03-2011, 07:16 AM
I have been advised to stay away from churches. We have no way of knowing how close i can get to a crucifix without spontaneously combusting. Tongue
I guess we will find out next summer. My girlfriend wants a church wedding.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
09-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Funerals, weddings, both of which I try to avoid as a matter of course...

Last wedding I went to was a paganesque lesbian wedding (wife's cousin) in Berkley over the summer - possibly the best wedding I've been to since my own Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
09-03-2011, 07:40 AM
I hate weddings and funerals I do everything in my power to avoid them.
Luckily if I ever have one it'll be a theme wedding so more a convention than a wedding.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
09-03-2011, 08:02 AM

No, I hate chuch small talk. I like arguments.

The last girl I fought with thought I was an idiot and was like, "oh, you're so silly."

Because she was all like, "so you think a frog can turn into a human?" And I replied, "Given enough time and the right environment, a frog species could evolve into something human." Of course this proposition seemed unreasonably absurd to her, so it was clearly false, even when I asked her at what point do species stop evolving because that's the limit of "microevolution".

Whatever. I also don't want to sit and listen to some religious nutjob be applauded for claiming that giant gas pockets blew apart the continents, and that gay people are simply possessed by evil spirits.
Quote this message in a reply